I've been around a while..

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
DanaPham

Re: I've been around a while..

Postby DanaPham » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:20 am

Yes, emotion is Sensation, plus what else?
thought, belief.

I"ll read the book in a minute..

DanaPham

Postby DanaPham » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:50 am

Ask here when questions come up or something is uncomfortable.
I just finished the Sacha story. This guy's a thinker as I am. No real questions from me, plenty of discomfort. And a belief that some of these inner areas are too much for conversation. Like "dissociation". I'm so uncomfortable with what's arising I that I got to go into another state of withdrawal. Into my head..
I get the general idea of "where is the me". Okay, no me. Without the me there is clarity. Just writing this. No problem. I'm relaxed, life is good. What I wrote a while back about the inner me....that's the natural me. There is no me to be hurt. So if I get scared I can notice this. So I don't have to worry.
So the girl, Nona,she writes about conditioning. I got stuck on looking at withdrawal. I couldn't do much with that.

I see the fake me has no location. It's just a thought, and yes it's funny to think it's not real.

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:14 am

Hi Dana,

That's a lot of fear & reservations. And yet, THIS is what you want to SEE.(Not just think.)
Without the me there is clarity. Just writing this. No problem. I'm relaxed, life is good
LOOK behind your fears, as described in Ilona's video.

And LOOK at AE right now. Zoom in on what is ACTUAL Experience right now.

Yes, it will seem odd. It will go against everything you *think* you"know."

Loving
~ Stacy

"Not to know there is an alternative to being lost
in thought is to be a kind of prisoner."

~ Sam Harris

DanaPham

Postby DanaPham » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:20 am

I 've been sitting at my desk and reading along and going through the "Lakshmi" process. So here is the thing..I can examine that which I regard as myself, Dana. So, there is thought, concept ,reaction, pain, etc. I can see and be present in that and there is no focus on myself or me. If there is an "oh, I am hurt", then that "I" is obviously a thought (unreal). But when things are quite, there are no thoughts, just presence, there is this awareness of myself..that I regard as Dana. Dananess. There is feeling and a sense and it's absolutely familiar as myself...

Dana

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:46 am

Hi Dana,

Because we use words, and words are never the thing themselves, I use "Awareness" to describe that which is aware of Acrual Experience.But it does not equal an "I."

Find “me” in the body

Find a comfortable place to sit or lie.

Take in a few deep breaths to settle the dust and then relax for a bit.

Spend only 30 to 60 seconds on each component of this exercise.

Bring your awareness to your entire body - sense it fully, head to toe.

Run your hands down over your torso. Feel the solidity of it.

Now bring your awareness to your feet. Again, feel them. Move them a bit.

Then bring your awareness to your hands. Open and close them.

Bring your awareness to your face - all of it. Touch it with your hand..

Now point your index finger to where the "Dana" is located.

Touch the exact location of "Dana.".

Answer these questions:

Were you able to find and feel "insert name" in a direct way like the other parts of your body?

Where is it?

What did you find? Something? Anything? Nothing?

What sensations did you feel in your body that identified "Dana” (If any).

Tell me what you experienced and found, by way of direct experience.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

DanaPham

Postby DanaPham » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:11 pm

Were you able to find and feel "insert name" in a direct way like the other parts of your body?
No
Where is it?
Obviously has no physical location.
What did you find? Something? Anything? Nothing?
There is nothing to find.
What sensations did you feel in your body that identified "Dana” (If any).
There are no physical sensations,
Tell me what you experienced and found, by way of direct experience.
None. Okay, so from the point of view of "looking" or DE there is no location or direct experience for Dananess. And so from the point of view of this process I should just lay aside, for the time being, investigations of non DE "stuff". Is that correct?

ps I'm completely committed to this process. Thank You for encouraging me to read from the book. That has really helped. Somewhere Ilona wrote:"this is not about security". Then I was able to see that security is exactly what I'm seeking! Now to some extent I can lay that aside..

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:11 pm

Good morning, Dana!

None. Okay, so from the point of view of "looking" or DE there is no location or direct experience for Dananess. And so from the point of view of this process I should just lay aside, for the time being, investigations of non DE "stuff". Is that correct?
Remember the Colored Socks exercise? It is the first one I gave you. That is exactly what it says, although we had not yet defined DE. So, yes. We don't care about anything that is not Actual or Direct Experience. Everything else is a distraction. I will repost that here:

This little exercise is the framework for everything we will do.

Colored Socks

There is a big difference between knowing that there is nothing to give up and seeing that there is nothing to give up.

Here is an example to illustrate the difference:

If I ask you what color socks you are wearing right now you have two ways to come up with an answer:

• You can think about it, you can think back to this morning and try to remember putting your socks on, and you can probably tell me what color you think they are.

• Alternatively, you can take a quick look at your socks and tell me what color they actually are!

Hopefully you would agree that you can only be 100% certain by looking.

For the purpose of seeing "no self" it is very important that you are clear about this difference. Knowing is about knowledge which is all in the mind and we are not interested in that.

We are only interested in looking at and seeing what is actually going on in your present moment-to-moment experience. We are only interested in your Direct Experience in the moment.

Please let me know if you are clear about this or if you would like any further clarification.

ps I'm completely committed to this process. Thank You for encouraging me to read from the book. That has really helped. Somewhere Ilona wrote:"this is not about security". Then I was able to see that security is exactly what I'm seeking! Now to some extent I can lay that aside..
Yes, I know you are. You're welcome. I thought it might help. There are many resources on this site. Feel free to go through any of them, but the main thing is to spend time day in and day out repeating our exercises and LOOKING at DE.

Right, it's not about security. Besides, even if you found some content-of-thought you labeled "security," it would not be what you expect. So yes, please let that go.

You read "Liberation Unleashed." "Gateless Gatecrashers is a free download on this site, if you want a little more. Your experience will be completely your own, but it can help to guide you as far as how to LOOK.

This is the introduction to another exercise on looking for a "self." The exercise is nearly what you just did, so I'm not giving that. I just want you to recognize how it is that we may *think* (and that is the problem) that there is a "self," but when we LOOK? Nada!

Let’s say that you have lost your keys and you swear that you left them in your coat. You
go to look and check all the pockets - the keys are not there. You swear they must be as
that was the last place you remember them. You have a vivid memory of putting them
there after you left the house. But when you check they are not there. At this point you can
keep believing that the keys are in your pocket, or you can admit you were mistaken. This
is just like that. You may see clearly that the self is an illusion but still feel a sense of self -
just like the keys. But feeling something to be true and seeing that it is or is not is different.
This is why we may find ourselves coming back to your expectations at the start and at the
end.

You really don't need a lot of exercises. I was given only one. But this is one that I enjoy, so . . .

Headless Way
Taken from "The Headless Way"

Have a look around you. You can see colors of the room, of your 'feet’, of your ‘knees’, of your ‘chest’ and perhaps of your 'hands'.

Now point a finger towards the place where others see your head and face.

What do you see? Do you see your face? Do you see your head?

Do you see anything at all there - any colors, shapes, or any movement?

Looking into the place where others see your face, do you see colors or shapes there?

What do you find?

Keep looking and looking and looking. These exercises just give you a way or a place to practice that one thing. LOOKing.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

DanaPham

Postby DanaPham » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:12 am

What do you see? Do you see your face? Do you see your head?
No, My head is not visible.

Do you see anything at all there - any colors, shapes, or any movement?
Perhaps a little (IE nose, glasses). but no.

Looking into the place where others see your face, do you see colors or shapes there?
No, i can't see my own face.
What do you find?

Even though my face is well known to me, there is actually no information. If i am being straightforward about looking, there is no information. Therefore, I need to lay down...something...I'm not sure what yet..

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 am

Hi Dana,

Lay down, as in lay down a belief or as in take a nap?

Either way , relax deeply & keep doing this exercise, looking and looking and looking. But relaxed, mo strain.

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi Dana,

I haven't heard from you since Sunday. It is good to keep up the momentum with daily posts - even if there doesn't seem to be much new to say.

How is it going? Are you doing the Headless Way exercise?

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

DanaPham

Postby DanaPham » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:50 am

Hi Stacy, yes, I just opened up to write to you. Yes, I'm doing the exercise and reading the book. I walk my way through the dialogs and put myself there to work through the questions she asks. I do get triggered. I had a four hour headache from something I read there.....and no good ideas as to what upset me. When that happens I have to lay it aside and do something else.

I was thinking about when I awoke before in 2005. It was simple..we focused on awareness and the teacher made a distinction between awareness and all it's content. For 10 weeks I focused on awareness. I made doing that the most important activity in my life during that time. I was able to see truth with clarity, that awareness itself equals enlightenment (that's how I like to speak of it).
I wrote to my friend recently.. that being in this program is like turning around a battleship, a long, slow, arcing turn..

When I do the exercise of seeing the face I do not have, I enter (what I call) presence. Thoughts may arise. I note them without entanglement. And then I hang out there, but then this thought "what am I expecting, some truth to jump out?" I wrote what I wrote above because in the past I had this kind of continuous focus and I remember it. I can get some of this process and what's required and it's still muddled too.

Dana

Return to “THE GATE”