waveofgrace thread

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
Anastacia42

Re: waveofgrace thread

Postby Anastacia42 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi Tom,

So if,
“Blame”, “fault”, “credit” all refer to content of thought.
And have no reality and Actual or Direct Experience, is it any wonder that you're miserable?

If, every time you do these exercises, you experience thoughts of “blame”, “fault”, “credit” then of course you will be tense, have contractions, and feel miserable ...

And why is that? They are not real.

I don't care whether you call it a mistake or a lie or peanut butter, they don't exist in reality.

Are you able to see this?

Much love,
~ Stacy

"Not to know there is an alternative to being lost
in thought is to be a kind of prisoner."

~ Sam Harris

waveofgrace

Postby waveofgrace » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:57 pm

Are you able to see this?
Yes

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:04 am

So, seeing this, in the manner that you check the color of your socks, is it having any effect or any impact on your experience of misery when doing, well, anything including these exercises?

If you are actually seeing these things, I would think there would be some sense of relief.

If not, where is the yeah-but? Where is the holdup?

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:23 am

We did not do turnarounds on the work of Byron Katie that we started, but it may be that what we've discussed has taken care of the situation. Let me know how that is going.

And I want to post this here as an exercise for you. I don't think we've done this one, yet. Let me know if I'm wrong. I could scroll back, but I want to get it posted while the site is up and working. I feel a little lazy about looking back at every page to figure out what we've done. :-)

Sports Exercise

Please note that you will have to check the link when using this exercise, to make sure it is still viable, as sometimes they are removed from Youtube.

The following link is a 7 minute clip of a soccer game. If you prefer another sport…please feel free to find one to do this exercise with. Olympics, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy5pL-myDzw

1. Watch one minute with the sound turned OFF, watching ‘people’ messing about with a round thing on a field, up and down, up and down. Let it sink in, the whole experience.

2. Once the first minute is completed, now watch another whole minute with the commentary turned ON.

Notice the differences. Notice how the commentator (thought) offers lots of know-how, even advice. It seems to feel as though they can influence, somehow, what is going on, as though one outcome is much preferred to the opposite outcome. The commentary may seem to heighten any supporter feelings which are there, and call for an identification with one team or other, and with the importance of the game itself.

3. Now turn the volume OFF AGAIN and just watch the action with NO audible commentary, the shapes moving around on the screen etc. Again notice all the differences in what is appearing as experience.

4. Now turn the volume ON again and ignore what you think you know thought is talking about, and just notice it as sound.

What did you find when doing this exercise?

Is the commentary on the soccer game a necessity for the play to happen?

And in the same way, is the inner narration of thought a necessity for the play of life to happen?

There can be fears that we won't do anything, or that if we don't keep talking to ourselves nothing will happen, but it just doesn't seem to be the case. After waking up, there can be a time of sorting things out and it may take years, but that same impulse that has motivated us and moved us all the time is still there moving us just like it always has. There never was a self so noticing it doesn't really change anything except our subjective experience and understanding of it.

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

waveofgrace

Postby waveofgrace » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:00 am

So, seeing this, in the manner that you check the color of your socks, is it having any effect or any impact on your experience of misery when doing, well, anything including these exercises?
Not really. I’m not feeling a lot of misery now but I don’t attribute it to seeing that blame is a lie. I was feeling misery around thinking I’m the believer of lies. If there isn’t a me then I’m not believing any thoughts. God must be believing these thoughts if they can be believed at all. If there is no believer of thoughts, then lies aren’t being believed at all. Questioning thoughts is meaningless then. The importance of this whole inquiry dropped when I thought about this.

Also just because I see something to be false and without proof doesn’t mean I stop believing it. It seems I believe things for no reason at all. I think maybe I was holding a belief that if I saw something to be baseless I’d stop believing it. I don’t believe that anymore which lightened this inquiry a bit.
If you are actually seeing these things, I would think there would be some sense of relief.
I would think so too.
If not, where is the yeah-but? Where is the holdup?
Who knows. I can’t find a yeah-but or holdup now.

I'll do the sports exercise later (we never did it). But my guess is it won't reveal much. I'm pretty clear after the palm flip exercise and just past experience that mental commentary - when it does happen - has nothing to do with what's happening a lot of the time. I really don't feel there's any fear of mental commentary becoming completely silent.

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi Tom,
’m not feeling a lot of misery now
That is good and I don't care HOW you got there! That should help you relax more doing the exercises.

It still sounds like you are looking at it logically, only thinking, instead of SEEING.

Once you learn to SEE it, rather than analyze, things will change. It takes some practice and yes, when it happens, it just happens. Doing these exercises increases the probability that you will drop out of thinking and into LOOKING and SEEING.

I encourage you to just keep LOOKING and doing the exercises. There are others I can give you and you can always repeat what has already been done. There IS value in repeating them until you SEE. (My seeing at LU happened via looking for the place where butt meets chair (Believe it or not, I, too, was on a couch and never thought to make the distinction.It did not matter.) Could not find it. It took a while, but then it all clicked.

Did you say you have read Gateless Gatecrashers (free PDF under Resources here) or Liberation Unleashed (for purchase on Amazon)? Those are good for examples of others who used the same process to see no self. There are people who cross the Gateless Gate just reading those.

It's only a little tricky - in the same way that we don't want to do The Work with a motive, we don't look for no self with a motive. You have a ton of curiosity, which is the ideal attitude, but the motive of wanting to release suffering is actually causing you to cling to it in a way that does not help.

It may be that you would do better picking one exercise and sticking with it for a while, if we have the definitions and analysis out of the way for now.

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

waveofgrace

Postby waveofgrace » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:48 am

I’m going to take an indefinite break from this. I’ll let you know if and when I’d like to try again.

Thank you for everything you’ve done so far.

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Okay, Tom.

Let me know. And stay in touch, in general, elsewhere, ok?

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

waveofgrace

Postby waveofgrace » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:33 pm

For sure

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:25 pm

Hi Tom,

I posted that you'd like to start again with a new guide on our Facebook Guides page 3 weeks ago and I top-posted it a couple of times. I'm seeing what else we can do. A guide will look at this, see 9 pages and think you're already being guided. I made it "sticky," which puts it near the top of The Gate.

Love ya,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi Waveofgrace, we can have a chat. Thank you for patience waiting for a guide.
Can you tell me, what are you looking for? What are you hoping for?

Let’s explore together.

waveofgrace

Postby waveofgrace » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:53 pm

Thank You for replying. I want peace with reality I think. That's my best guess.

I want to share I'm afraid to engage in this endeavor again because it tends to lead to obsessing over this stuff while I'm doing it. It's also been tight and hard and I have difficulty putting it down while I'm engaged in it to pay attention to the rest of my life.

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:07 pm

I hear you and that sounds like the opposite of peace. One of the true requirements for this process is readiness, how ready are you for peace? How ready are you to investigate what is in the way of peace?
It is completely up to you when and if you want to dive into this conversation.
Either way is fine.

I have been making videos for YouTube and it’s about finding inner peace. You can watch them and if you feel like exploring deeper, we can.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8ytp0GqLMW

With love.

waveofgrace

Postby waveofgrace » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:51 pm

Thank you Ilona. I’ll look at the YouTube and give you my decision on whether to do this.

Return to “THE GATE”