Not "Getting It"

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
Bayou1

Re: Not "Getting It"

Postby Bayou1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Haha - not a problem. I assumed that you meant it to be people talking, and that's what I checked in the second round - the sound of people talking in the other room. So - Their talking is just sound. It's thought that interprets and comments on what is being said who's saying it, and so on.

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Yes, well done

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Let's continue by further exploring the difference between mental construction and direct experience.
Choose an ordinary object in the room. Maybe a vase of flowers or something that has interesting and varied visual qualities
1. Close your eyes and picture it in your mind for a minute or two.
2. Open your eyes and observe it directly for a while.
Describe both experiences. The first one of what was happening directly in the mind sense and then the second one of what you experienced in the visual sense.
Also tell me the difference between these two experiences.

xx

Bayou1

Postby Bayou1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Describe both experiences. The first one of what was happening directly in the mind sense and then the second one of what you experienced in the visual sense.
I picked a desk lamp - one of those old fashioned ones with the green glass top, horizontal light bulb, and pull chain. Picturing it in my mind, I was trying to think through the details of it, such as what side is the pull chain is on, exact coloring of the brass base, size dimensions of it all, and so on. It was all really fuzzy, and I was surprised that I couldn't remember much of its exact detail at all.

Opening my eyes and looking at it, I realized that I got a lot wrong in my mind-only attempt at recreating it. Dimensions, color shades, and other details had all been imagined imperfectly compared to the real experience.

Thanks again,
Bayou

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Good.
Can you talk me more about the actual experience of Judy looking at the lamp? (Maybe do that but again first)

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Just looking(not Judy!)

Bayou1

Postby Bayou1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Hello!
Can you talk me more about the actual experience of Judy looking at the lamp? (Maybe do that but again first)
While just looking at the lamp, I was comparing it to the picture that I had in my mind's eye in that first part of the exercise, thinking - "wow, I completely forgot about this color being like that," and so on with the rest of the aspects of it. When the mind is quiet while just looking at something, the object is just there but the opinions and commentary about it are silent. This happens as well (and did in this exercise, also), but usually, when focusing in on something, there's usually judgments about it.

Thank you!

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi Bayou
Great noticing, lovely!
Let’s go through the other senses in the same way. Try now to stick to only adjectives and no other words at all when describing the sounds or the imaginations etc. You can use other words when describing the difference.

This next exercise suggests using a gong or a bell: have you got one? Or something you can improvise with?
Hearing.
a) Imagine first the sound of a gong (or bell). Describe exactly how you imagined that. What were the qualities?
b) Then sound the gong and listen with your whole being. Describe that also as fully as you can.
c) Tell me the difference.

x

Bayou1

Postby Bayou1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi Seamist,
This next exercise suggests using a gong or a bell: have you got one? Or something you can improvise with?
Hearing.
I don't personally have one, so I found a clip online of a bell being rung. Here's what I found:

a) Imagine first the sound of a gong (or bell). Describe exactly how you imagined that. What were the qualities?
Loud, sudden, clear, familiar

b) Then sound the gong and listen with your whole being. Describe that also as fully as you can.
Loud, constant, varying volume

c) Tell me the difference.
Just as with picturing the lamp, thinking of what a bell sounds like, I went to my memory bank to pull up a church bell sound. With this in mind, I thought of it as being a loud sound that rings and then fades out only to be rung again. When I pulled up a clip online of a church bell ringing, I realized that I had completely forgotten how the sound itself continues for a long time after and usually doesn't even stop sounding before it's rung again. That more "constant" sound is not constant in volume, however, as it fades out a bit with time - another thing I didn't include in my mind-only version going from memory.

Thank you!
Bayou

Return to “THE GATE”