self discovery

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
jbzusb12

self discovery

Postby jbzusb12 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:17 am

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
I actually don't know. I assume it is seeing through the illusion of, or the misrepresentation of thought. It means seeing clearly that I am not this body/mind. There is still strong identification to the I am the body ideas and the: I am these thoughts. But my understanding is merely intellectual and not visceral enough to be of any use.

What are you looking for at LU?
Clear seeing and feeling that I am not this body or these thoughts. I want liberation from the complex identification with "my" self. I want liberation from suffering. I realize that thoughts and feelings will still exist, but I don't want to be SO caught up in identifying with them.

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
I have no idea. I have yet to experience anything like this. I expect there will be examination of currently held beliefs and attachments. I expect there will be pointing to a perspective that is no perspective at all.

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry?

I did some bhakti yoga when I was younger and experienced periods of peace of mind. I have used a mantra daily for the past few years and have done some vispassana on my own. I read some Tara Brach and others. I have watched some youtube of Mooji and read a little about zen and advaita teachings.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self? 10

Bananafish

Re: self discovery

Postby Bananafish » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi jbzusb12! Welcome to LU, and thanks for the introduction.
My name is Bananafish, and I'd be more than glad to be your guide.

I want liberation from the complex identification with "my" self. I want liberation from suffering. I realize that thoughts and feelings will still exist, but I don't want to be SO caught up in identifying with them.

To begin with, can you tell more about what will change after being liberated from suffering?

Looking forward to your reply!

Bananafish

jbzusb12

Re: self discovery

Postby jbzusb12 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Thank you Bannafish!

I assume, the thoughts will no longer be considered to be mine and so they won't be taken sooooo seriously. It will be clearly seen and felt that there is no me thinking the thoughts or doing the thoughts and sensations. It will be totally clear that this body and thoughts is not me.
It will be clearly felt and known that there is no personal experiencer.

Return to “THE GATE”