Enlightening Quotes for iPhone

This forum is for users of the "Enlightening Quotes" app who need technical support for the app.
Derek

Enlightening Quotes for iPhone

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:48 am

"Enlightening Quotes" is an Android app.

If you would like to volunteer to produce an iPhone version, please make yourself known on the thread below.

You would need to purchase a Mac and an iPhone, and you would need to put in the time to learn Xcode and Objective-C. You would also need to take out paid membership in Apple's iOS Developer Program.

Note that a substantial amount of work would be involved.

Bharat

Re: Enlightening Quotes for iPhone

Postby Bharat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 am

If you dont want to purchase a Mac, you can run it in VM machine (Lion 10.x.x )on your PC and download Xcode (i have it running on my windows PC - with Intel -i7!) and do the coding, but you would require a subscription to do the upload to the App store. The Xcode does contain a Iphone/Ipad simulator, so you can see what your app would look like.

Of course we do not encourage use of any illegal software!! use at your own risk!.

nower

Postby nower » Sun May 05, 2013 5:47 pm

I may be able to help.

I recently came across LiveCode (http://www.runrev.com). LiveCode is a high level development platform with a nice graphical user interface and a pretty simple English programming language. The high level language allows for pretty fast development, and apps developed in LiveCode can be written once and deployed on many popular platforms - including iOS, Android, Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. In April they published the first open source community edition of LiveCode, and I have started to explore it. I have experience with software development, but never wrote a mobile app previously.

I have started implementing a version of the Enlightening Quotes App in LiveCode, to check out LiveCode and whether I would be able to implement an app with it. So far it is going pretty well. I should be able to come up with a well functioning application, which would allow to generate native program versions for the different platforms.
The app would be open source, as any software created with the open source edition of LiveCode needs to be open source itself.

I am not sure what might be necessary to deploy the app to the Apple App Store (besides getting a paid membership in Apple's dev program), as their terms of service are not compatible with the open source license that applies to LiveCode. The iOS version might have to be produced on the commercial version of LiveCode (from the same app source code).

My current implementation of the app has a few differences from the existing app, which I hope would be further improvements to the already nice app:
  • It starts up directly in the quote window at the last quote that was viewed. The categories can be accessed and selected from a menu button.
  • It allows to mark/unmark quotes as favorites.
  • It allows to apply a filter to the quotes that are displayed. The filter could be favorites, or quotes that contain a specific word or expression.
Derek, please let me know whether my approach is acceptable to you, as your application is the basis for what I am doing. This app version would become open source, and everyone who is interested would be able to take it and do with it as they like.

If it is ok, it would help if I could get any custom icons and buttons that you created for the app. I would also like to provide you (and anyone else interested) an early version for review and feedback once it is far enough.

If you don't agree with my approach, I won't publish the results of my work. It has been an interesting learning experience, no matter what the outcome is.

Flapstones

Postby Flapstones » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:49 am

Hi,

How are you getting on with the iPhone app? I am a web developer and would be keen to help you getting this fantastic app onto the iPhone.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks

David

nower

Postby nower » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:10 am

Hi David,

I implemented a version of the Enlightening Quotes app in LiveCode and used it to generate native app versions for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. These versions are available from the app page on Liberation Unleashed.

It should also be possible to create an app version for iOS (and Android if wanted) from the same LiveCode implementation. Some small changes and fine tuning might be necessary for this step.

I have not worked on this step yet.

The primary reason is that I don't have an iOS (or Android) phone or tablet, so I don't really have experience with these environments. I find some familiarity with an environment is necessary to develop software for it.

A secondary consideration is that the Apple App Store doesn't play nice with open source (the Terms of Service are incompatible), so the commercial version of LiveCode might be necessary to produce the iOS app. The regular price of the commercial version is $500. Occasionally they have sales and special offers, and I heard they might come up with some additonal options for publishing iOS apps for students (and hopefully non-profit endeavors).

I am not sure how you can help, it very much depends on your skills and what you might feel called to do.
The LiveCode app I developed is open source, so if you have access to an iOS development environment and an iOS device you could grab it and see how it behaves in that environment. I would be happy to assist you in these steps.

Other than that, I don't know what you could do to help.

nower

Flapstones

Postby Flapstones » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:09 am

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for the slow reply.

I have access to iOS development environment and an iOS device so would be more than happy to have a go at taking the code you have already written and seeing what I can do with it.

I have good skills in JavaScript and Java.

Thanks

David

nower

Postby nower » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:20 pm

An app version for iPhone and iPad is now available in the Apple App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZS ... =901263019

Return to “Enlightening Quotes App”