Stuck

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
crlnd08

Stuck

Postby crlnd08 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:02 pm

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
The self is not real - there is no thinker behind the thought or doer behind the action. It is an illusion of the mind.

What are you looking for at LU?
I’m stuck in seeing the no self and hope I can get help to get past this. I know it is true but cannot see it. If there is no doer then who is typing this? If there is no thinker then who experiences thoughts? If there is no self then who is experiencing feelings?

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
Help and guidance to answer some questions and overcome the barriers in my mind. I have been searching to see it as I know it is true - I just can’t actually see it. I hope talking to someone who has seen it will be able to answer my questions as I can’t seem to find the answers.

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry?
I have read Liberation Unleashed. I have read some things from Study Buddhism. I have tried some meditations. I have watched some Buddhist teachings on this on youtube also. And a lot of google searching.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self?

Ronaldo
Site Admin

Re: Stuck

Postby Ronaldo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:14 pm

Hello and welcome to Liberation Unleashed.
My name is Ron and can I guide you through your inquiry.

Unlike learning where you build an understanding through deductive reasoning and thinking, in this inquiry thinking will not help you realize what the self is, you have to look and experience everything directly. All I can do is ask you questions that point to something you can experience, and at times provide you with some exercises that when done with curiosity and attention can be extremely helpful. All you have to do is look at what’s there and try to drop all of your expectations, assumptions and beliefs - how hard can that be? :)

Looking is really simple, yet not so simple, we spent most of our lives learning by thinking, so it would help to clarify this point.
1) Looking is always done right now, at this very moment, e.g. it cannot be based on memory.
2) it’s being aware of sound, taste, smell, sensation and colors (images) to see what is really present - actual experience.
3) In addition to these sense perceptions, we are also noticing thoughts - not thinking, but noticing all thoughts as they appear. Thought content will pull you away from looking directly, but by continuous and steady looking you will inevitably unveil the trick they play in creating the illusion of an "I".
When you are experiencing the content of thoughts, there can be no looking, there is the thought content, an imagined reality. That is why this inquiry can never ever be achieved via thinking and learning, and that is why the long and winding spiritual seeking effort is mostly futile.

This inquiry can only succeed if you are committed and genuinely curious, please post daily, if you need more time, or cannot post, just let me know.

Before we start the investigation, could you tell me:
What are you actually looking for?
What are you hoping would change?

Please answer the questions above, and let me know what I should call you?

P.S. please use the
quote function
around my questions when answering,
You simply select the text and click the “Quote" button above the text edit field
For a demo see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fAToDNh9hQ

Thanks
Ron
The truth is simple. If it was complicated, everyone would understand it. - Walt Whitman

Return to “THE GATE”