Aware Wolf Thread Title Here

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
Ilona
Site Admin

Re: Aware Wolf Thread Title Here

Postby Ilona » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:47 am

Thank you for sharing. Very interesting story about the zen master.

My question though remains. Is there an actor that is playing the roles?
How do you see that?
Though We resist it, we fight it, We're hardly satisfied with what is. We want what we don't have and don't want what we have.
Isn’t this how life shows up, the flow of life includes all the resisting, fighting and so on. I mean, is there someone outside of flow of life that resist it?

Love.

NowhereWolf

Postby NowhereWolf » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:20 pm

My Internet was down for a week and I didn't see the start of page 2 for replies on this thread.
My question though remains. Is there an actor that is playing the roles?
How do you see that?
I wrote out a lot more, told some funny story, but lost it in the Internet...

There's no Meta Actor or Uber Actor who chooses which role to play. Roles get played. These roles can be comfortable and socially appreciated. We have to meet people where they are at. Still, we shouldn't be confined by roles and when they're not working, be mindful of that and willing to change them.

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:47 am

Ok, so You are saying that there is someone here that can be mindful and change the the role. Or is that something that is given?

Are likes and dislikes something you chose?
Are Talents and skills something you chose?

Can you decide and change the character? Give me some examples.

Explore this and write soon :)

Love

NowhereWolf

Postby NowhereWolf » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Ok, so You are saying that there is someone here that can be mindful and change the the role. Or is that something that is given?
General Mindfulness, verb, happens. I can be mindful just as I can get a coffee (or chai).

Awareness, I think is closer to What is True.

The well-known analogy of the snake and the rope – there's a rope on the ground and we think we see a snake. There's no snake. Never was. The snake seemed real but was not. But there is a rope.

If someone said : “I am Awareness” – I wouldn't cringe. (or if they said “Awareness Is” and slapped their thighs).

A lot of teachers say this too.

Honestly, of course there's no “I” to be aware. There's just Awareness. Which deep down, I think is an illusion. I prefer Awarenessing as verb perhaps. Awareness is an illusion in that it is not what we think it is – not that it doesn't exist. The study of consciousness has the possibility of being somewhat a rabbit hole, a thicket, a fetter – in that consciousness/awareness can get pretty weird/deep/etc.

How does Consciousness appear? I dunno!

I say there is no self like we think there is. There is no CEO self. That way, I avoid the pitfalls of the No Self/Not Self/True Self debate. Since all three would agree to that premise.

I'm okay with the Mystery of Consciousness and Awareness. I think it's full of Grace. There's nothing to be scared of or fearful of. It's all good.

Are likes and dislikes something you chose?
They arise from causes and conditions, from the beginning of the big bang to today's weather. If I decide to like Kale – a decision may be made to eat more Kale, starting with baby Kale (where this came from I don't know, but it makes sense, good idea! Thanks mind!), and how this pans out, I don't know. Inshallah!

Likes and dislikes are ephemeral and arise and fall. They may come and go.

I'm in a human avatar so I prefer a Reuben sandwich than a turd sandwich. I won't say everything is One, like some Neo Advaita types, so it doesn't matter which sandwich.
Are Talents and skills something you chose?
Nope. Although there's the ability to practice and improve new skills.

Can you decide and change the character? Give me some examples.

A decision gets made and changes may be implemented that may have an effect.
There's room for self-improvement. We're also Okay as we stand. I think it's important to be oneself, not to put on airs, to be comfortable in one own's skin.

There's things I like to do and a decision may get made to implement one or several: yoga, meditation, walking, reading dharma, kettlebell, clean up house, take a nap, etc. Which ones actually get implemented tomorrow I don't know. I'm okay with however it turns out. I think that things happen because of causes and conditions and we can help build new causes and conditions.

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:26 pm

Thank you very much for a thoughtful answer. It resonates that there is no CEO self and that awareness is like a verb.

You wouldn’t say that everything is one, ok, there are different, unique forms and functions. We can see that. It’s not that a spoon and soup is one and the same. But in essence there is one life showing up as many.

Can you write what you see about that.

Love.

NowhereWolf

Postby NowhereWolf » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:08 pm

But in essence there is one life showing up as many.

Can you write what you see about that.

Nonduality includes duality.

Through Mu Koan, or self inquiry, or a walk on a star lite night, or meditation we may be in Awareness. In Advaita Vedanta or Buddhism, this may not be the ultimate. This is a reflection of Consciousness that we're seeing as through a mirror. It's appearing through our mind.

Beyond our local Awareness or Consciousness that is the Atman in Vedanta or Buddha Nature in Buddhism. There's other names: Rigpa, Primordial Consciousness, Original Mind.

Now we're getting above my pay grade :-) Whether this Primordial Consciousness is the Universe or God or a fundamental building block of our Universe – or something else – I don't know. My limited experience with it, it seems to permeate All. The Void, Emptiness. There's a quote I like from Mingyur Rinpoche that Emptiness doesn't mean nothingness, but instead it's this fantastic void sea of infinite possisbilities.

There's a famous koan: Does a dog have Buddha nature?

Nowadays in our culture we love dogs, adore them. So of course Dogs have Buddha nature! I have two books on my cloud, one is “Zen Dogs” – great photos of dogs looking like zen masters. Another is “My Dog, My Buddha”. When zen master's assign this koan, they can count on hearing dog stories from the zen student. Not the koan's answer of course, but people love, love, love to talk about dogs who had great meaning in their life.

Back when the koan originated, dogs were despised and the koan means “Does even a lowly dog have Buddha nature?”

The koan continues and in the story, the zen master said “MU!” which means NO. Which is unexpected because there's a well known sutra that the monk who asked also knew, and this sutra says that all beings have Buddha nature.

The koan explains there is no “have or have not” for Buddha nature. The dog IS Buddha nature. As we are. As Trump is. As cockroaches are.

You've given me a challenging task. It's hard to talk about the Ultimate. It's beyond words. We risk sounding like an idiot talking about it. There are times we have a wonderful experience of unity and peace. We see this fantastic void sea of infinite possibilities. Great! But this feeling will go away.

We have to be careful and not reject duality. I think every year, Ramana devotees come out from the Ramana Ashram in Tiru all blissed out or in a Nondual state. The road in front of the Ashram is very busy with traffic. People get hit by cars regularly. I think either they're in an altered state oblivious to traffic or they think everything is one, there is no self, there is no bus, and even if there appears to be a bus, it's an illusion. Ow. Oy.

There's another famous koan: “What is THIS!”

A friend of mine asked this question to Mooji and the video of this is on YouTube. It's 58 minutes long response.

There's a lot of Non words that describe it: The Unborn, the Undying, The Unconditioned.

My understanding of it, on a daily or routine level, would be “Just This”. Right here, right now. (Although there is no Here and Now). I read recently that some physicists believe that space and time are untenable concepts. There's no Gate. I joke that I'm not even sure there's a THERE there :-)

But then again, there are buses. I don't get into theoretical arguments with them.

There is a Mystery. I am part of that Mystery. That Mystery is Grace.

But fortunately there's coffee, but it's run out and I'm going to make some more :-)

There is no Enlightenment.
Knowing this is Enlightenment.
– Sri Nisargadatta

To live in the known is bondage.
To live in the unknown is liberation.
-- Sri Nisargadatta

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:03 am

Thank you very much for replying fully. I hear you and agree, nothing needs to be denied or rejected. What is is. And words can not frame it.

Is there anything that you would like to explore here in this forum? Or do you feel that our conversation is done?

Love.

NowhereWolf

Postby NowhereWolf » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:01 pm

thank you for our conversation and also your books.

I feel more congruent on this whole issue after our talk.

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:17 am

Hi again! Sorry for delay with response.
I had other guides reading our conversation. I have some new question for you from another guide.

Does the body experience sensations?
Where are thoughts occuring?
Do you have certain control over thoughts? Give examples if yes.
Does the body respond to your will?
Do you have will?
Can you explain your role and process in learning a new skill like say learning Bridge or Tennis?

Could you answer from your own experience (without quoting or referring to other people’s descriptions) just as you see this now, right at the time of writing, (without referring to the past)

Hope to hear from you soon!
Love.

Return to “THE GATE”