Just wondering

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
Whatsthat

Just wondering

Postby Whatsthat » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:47 pm

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
I do not fully understand what is meant by no self. My understanding is that everything is just a happening or event. There is no self experiencing the event. There is no ego. The ego has been built up by stories that we tell ourselves. So, i guess i equate no self to mean no ego.

What are you looking for at LU?
Trying to gain insight on the no self concept by employing the direct pointing methods described on the web site. I would like to get clarity on how no self relates to ultimate truth. Clarity on perceiving phenomena through no self rather than my ego or myself. Would like LU to help me gain inherent or intuitive understanding of no self.
If there is no self, then how do i experience no self if there is no self to experience it ? If two people truly understand no self would they both witness an experience the same way?

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
I don’t know what to expect from the guided conversation. Maybe some type of pointers to lead to “ah ha” moments
Or maybe some easy to follow practical exercises to follow.
Coaching on things to remember when in certain situations. Pointers on seeing things from another view point

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry?
I have been meditating for a year. 45 min a day. Read a few books on mindfulness. Interested in Jhanas

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self?

StaffordJR

Re: Just wondering

Postby StaffordJR » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:34 am

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
I do not fully understand what is meant by no self. My understanding is that everything is just a happening or event. There is no self experiencing the event. There is no ego. The ego has been built up by stories that we tell ourselves. So, i guess i equate no self to mean no ego.

What are you looking for at LU?
Trying to gain insight on the no self concept by employing the direct pointing methods described on the web site. I would like to get clarity on how no self relates to ultimate truth. Clarity on perceiving phenomena through no self rather than my ego or myself. Would like LU to help me gain inherent or intuitive understanding of no self.
If there is no self, then how do i experience no self if there is no self to experience it ? If two people truly understand no self would they both witness an experience the same way?

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
I don’t know what to expect from the guided conversation. Maybe some type of pointers to lead to “ah ha” moments
Or maybe some easy to follow practical exercises to follow.
Coaching on things to remember when in certain situations. Pointers on seeing things from another view point

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry?
I have been meditating for a year. 45 min a day. Read a few books on mindfulness. Interested in Jhanas

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self?
Hi Whatsthat, my name is Stafford & it would be my Pleasure to Guide You & did You Prefer to be called Whatsthat !?!
My only Stipulation is that We Stay in Direct Experience what's Actually Happening Now !!!
This can only Be Seen Directly & not in Word Theory or Intellectually.....!!! If You're ready We can start anytime ?!? Sending much Love Stafford ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Whatsthat

Postby Whatsthat » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:17 am

Hi Stafford
You can call me Fonz. I can start any time

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:00 am

Hi Fonz Welcome to LU. It's a Pleasure and a Honor to Be Your Guide !!!
Ok Loving Your Answer so let's Start Here ?!?

(""""What are you looking for at LU?
If there is no self, then how do i experience no self if there is no self to experience it ? If two people truly understand no self would they both witness an experience the same way?""")

Love This Thread & Perfect Question !?!
First We have to See Through What's Actually Happening ?!? Go Directly too The Senses Sight Sound Touch Breathing & Thinking & Find out when You're Actually making them Happen !?!
For instance is Seeing Happening Before or After The Seen ?!?
Is The Hearing Happening Before or After The Heard ?!?
Is Touching Happening Before or After The Touched ?!?
Are You Breathing or Are You Being Breathed ?!?
Are You Thinking or are You a Thought & can Thoughts Be Controlled or Turned off ?!?
Let's stop Here to make sure This is All Clear for You ??? Whatever's not Clear, Don't hesitate & let me Know We'll Clear it up no problems !!!
Sending Peace Love Life & Laughter Yours Truly Stafford

Whatsthat

Postby Whatsthat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:46 am

Thank you for the questions. I need a day to think about them. My initial answers seem to toggle back and forth between before and after. I probably need to observe the senses a little more. I’ll post a reply with answers by tomorrow evening. Thank you for your time.

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:21 am

Thank you for the questions. I need a day to think about them. My initial answers seem to toggle back and forth between before and after. I probably need to observe the senses a little more. I’ll post a reply with answers by tomorrow evening. Thank you for your time.
Hi Fonz You're so Welcome & No Problem take Your Time Sending Much Love ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Whatsthat

Postby Whatsthat » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 am

1. There are times when seeing happens before the seen. I walk outside and see trees before the seen. I see my daughters smile before the seen. Other times seeing happens after. When i see an unfamiliar person seeing happens after
2. Hearing seems to happen before the heard. Even when i hear a loud bang, hearing is happening before the heard
3. Touching seems to happen after the touched. Like when i run into a spider web
4. Most of my life i felt i was breathing. Just recently i often feel I am being breathed
5. Thoughts can only be shut off for a short period of time. Kind of like the shouting off the breath

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:56 am

1. There are times when seeing happens before the seen. I walk outside and see trees before the seen. I see my daughters smile before the seen. Other times seeing happens after. When i see an unfamiliar person seeing happens after
2. Hearing seems to happen before the heard. Even when i hear a loud bang, hearing is happening before the heard
3. Touching seems to happen after the touched. Like when i run into a spider web
4. Most of my life i felt i was breathing. Just recently i often feel I am being breathed
5. Thoughts can only be shut off for a short period of time. Kind of like the shouting off the breath
Great Work Fonz Now go Back Over & Scan the Body for The one in Control ?!? For instance are You located in Your Feet ? If You Loose Your Feet Dose That Change Who You are, scan Your Body like That too find if Your Located or are The Body ???
Doing Great my Friend let's See what comes up for You with This !?! Send much Love Yours Truly Stafford ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Whatsthat

Postby Whatsthat » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:25 pm

My head and voice seem to be in control. Sometimes my stomach. If i have pain in part of my body, then that body part wrestles with my head to be in control. Looking back from childhood until now, control migrated from my body to my mind (located in my head)

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:03 am

My head and voice seem to be in control. Sometimes my stomach. If i have pain in part of my body, then that body part wrestles with my head to be in control. Looking back from childhood until now, control migrated from my body to my mind (located in my head)
Been Busy my Friend will Reply with more Tomorrow & Good Work Fonz !!!
I want us too Look Deeper into The Sense & Body Mind so Keep Noticing what's Happening in & Around You & Notice is Thought Describing what's Actually Happening or is Thought making Past & Future Stories about What's Happening, Look Closely !?! Talk more tomorrow & Sending much Love Yours Truly Stafford ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:49 am

I want us too Look Deeper into The Sense & Body Mind so Keep Noticing what's Happening in & Around You & Notice is Thought Describing what's Actually Happening or is Thought making Past & Future Stories about What's Happening, Look Closely !?! Talk more tomorrow & Sending much Love Yours Truly Stafford ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Hi Fonz my Dear Friend Let's Look again into The Senses again ???
So When Hearing are You able too adjust the volume of What's Heard ?!? If Not You're not in Control of Hearing !?!
When Seeing can You Adjust The Distance of What Seen ?!? If Not Your Not in Control of Seeing !?!
When Touching can You Adjust the Feeling of what's Touched ?!? If Not Then Touching can't be Controlled !?!
Now for The Body Mind, did You Choose Your Body & Your Gender or When or Where You were Born ?!? Ok Stopping Here so You can Contemplate This & Let me Know What comes !?! Sending much Love Yours Truly Stafford ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:01 pm

Hi Fonz my Dear Friend Let's Look again into The Senses again ???
So When Hearing are You able too adjust the volume of What's Heard ?!? If Not You're not in Control of Hearing !?!
When Seeing can You Adjust The Distance of What Seen ?!? If Not Your Not in Control of Seeing !?!
When Touching can You Adjust the Feeling of what's Touched ?!? If Not Then Touching can't be Controlled !?!
Now for The Body Mind, did You Choose Your Body & Your Gender or When or Where You were Born ?!? Ok Stopping Here so You can Contemplate This & Let me Know What comes !?! Sending much Love Yours Truly Stafford ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ok My Dear Friend Apologies for Whatever Happened & Hope You're Doing Well Sending much Love Yours Truly Stafford ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Whatsthat

Postby Whatsthat » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:01 am

No i can not adjust the volume, sight, or touch. The mind can tune things out or not focus by using the mind
I did not choose my body or where i was born

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:37 am

No i can not adjust the volume, sight, or touch. The mind can tune things out or not focus by using the mind
I did not choose my body or where i was born
Ok Great Work & Beautifully Honest !!!
Now Notice When You're focusing & Creating with the mind or is The Mind Creating You Appearing too do This & That !?! / ?!?
Thank You for Being so Patient & Appreciate Your Honest Work & I'm only keeping this Real Direct as Possible in order to prevent any Misunderstanding !!! /???
Sending much Love Yours Truly Stafford ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Whatsthat

Postby Whatsthat » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:21 pm

Interesting question. When working on a project, or solving a math equation, or learning the guitar, the mind is focused and does not seem to be creating me. But when communicating with a group of people, or an individual, the mind seems to be creating me. Other people’s minds seem to be creating me as well. Even after conversations are over, the mind is trying to alter my personality based on interaction with people.
When planning or anticipating an event, project, or social interaction, the mind seems to be creating me.

Return to “THE GATE”