OK to be OK

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
Seamist

Re: OK to be OK

Postby Seamist » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:30 pm

Good looking, Lindy. Well done.
Xx

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Coffee was a good one to use!
Really look at a chair.
What exactly gives that object it's 'chairness'?
Imagine back when that chair was being made.
When exactly did the components become 'chair'
Think and picture in your mind all the infinite different sorts of chairs. Really make it vivid.

What makes them all 'chairs'?

- Then think of the words 'I' and 'me' in the same way...imagine all different people saying “I did this”, “I am that”. Try this also when watching TV with all the different characters etc.
- When with a group of people in conversation, what makes them all 'I'?
Tell me what comes up.

xx

LindyB

Postby LindyB » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Really look at a chair.
What exactly gives that object it's 'chairness'?
Imagine back when that chair was being made.
When exactly did the components become 'chair'
Think and picture in your mind all the infinite different sorts of chairs. Really make it vivid.

What makes them all 'chairs'?

- Then think of the words 'I' and 'me' in the same way...imagine all different people saying “I did this”, “I am that”. Try this also when watching TV with all the different characters etc.
- When with a group of people in conversation, what makes them all 'I'?
Tell me what comes up.
We only see a chair as a chair because that's what our brains have been programmed to recognise it as.

In the same way that a wooden chair is just wood, made of cells, carved/produced in a certain way, we are just a product of our genetics and conditioning up to this point (as well as our 'form' being made of flesh and bone cells etc.)

We are all unique (as is each chair - whatever it's made of/how it's produced) but we too are made of the same kind of ingredients as each other. But we've been taught that we are all very different and separate and to give ourselves and everyone else a different 'name' etc. which re-inforces the belief in ourselves as 'I'. It's an insidious veil.....

This is a good exercise - thank you - it really gets to the nub of it! But although I can see all this, it still doesn't seem to have gone deep enough to change my day-to-day perspective/experience yet.....X

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Hi
This is a good exercise - thank you - it really gets to the nub of it! But although I can see all this, it still doesn't seem to have gone deep enough to change my day-to-day perspective/experience yet
just reminding you to watch out now for your expectations.
As Ilona puts it:
All expectations, no matter what you expect is not what it is going to be like. Anytime you feel stuck, come back to expectations, if there is something that you think that should be happening, but it isn't- there is an expectation behind it. They are not useful but in the way.
and, referring to the spoon exercise that you did early on...
Notice, that there was no boom and no bright light flashes in the eyes when the imaginary spoon was no longer imagine. Remember this, a shift is not going to be more than this, it’s just a drop of belief- the glue that holds the illusion together.
Let's pause here and check what your expectations are NOW.

LindyB

Postby LindyB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:36 pm

I'll get back to you tomorrow/Weds. Cramming again tonight in advance of 2 more exams tomorrow! X

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:41 am

Of course.
Hope the exams go ok for you xx

LindyB

Postby LindyB » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Hi Sioned

Think the exams went OK thanks - relieved they're over!

I don't really think my expectations have changed much - if at all - since we last talked about them. Of course I can't help having some, as well as hoping that I'll be able to drop some of the illusions and beliefs that seem to keep me so stuck. Feeling pretty good at the moment though - so perhaps things are going the right way despite my awful few days last week!

While I know there will always be pleasure and pain in life, it's how 'I' relate to it that matters I think. And I've learned that 'I' can't do much about that wilfully. Had the 'me' I've always believed myself to be was really been in control, things would be very different for me now!

So, onwards and upwards I hope.....! X

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:56 pm

ok, onwards and upwards it is!

Lie on your back and relax. Have a look at the ceiling.
There is thought to be a distance between that what is thought to be known as ‘body’ and that what is labelled ‘ceiling’.

Close your eyes. Now focus on the space between body and ceiling.
Take your time, breathe in and out and simply look. Keep the eyes shut.
What do you notice?
Is there a body? Is there a ceiling? Is there a distance?

xx

LindyB

Postby LindyB » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54 pm

Lie on your back and relax. Have a look at the ceiling.
There is thought to be a distance between that what is thought to be known as ‘body’ and that what is labelled ‘ceiling’.

Close your eyes. Now focus on the space between body and ceiling.
Take your time, breathe in and out and simply look. Keep the eyes shut.
What do you notice?
Is there a body? Is there a ceiling? Is there a distance?
Nothing can be discerned except 'presence'. X

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 pm

good
For this exercise you will need to sit yourself near a clock that has an audible second hand. If you don’t have a ticking clock, then here is a link to a clock on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L21br2DSCSg
Allow your eyes to close gently.
Listen to the sound. “Tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock”
Focus on the tick tock. Attune to the sound itself. IGNORE any explanatory thoughts about what must be creating the sound.
Try to find the clock.
1. Going just by the tick tock sound, do you find a clock present?
2. Is there any direct/actual experience of a clock in the sound?
3. Does the sound come self-labelled as originating from the clock?
4. Do you find a clock hidden in the sound?
5. Do you find a clock beyond the sound?
6. In your direct/actual experience of the sound, do you find any evidence that the sound is caused by a clock?
Allow your eyes to open.
Were you able to establish that in your direct/actual experience of the tick tock sound, that there was a clock?
Were you able to find a division between hearing and sound?
Were you able to establish where hearing ended and sound begin, or was there just pure experience labelled as sound?
For a sound to be ‘known’ then there must be a ‘knowing’ (experience) of sound! Can a dividing line be found between the ‘knowing’ (experience) of the sound and the sound (known) itself? Or is there only ‘knowingknown’?

xx

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Lindy, sorry, I've just checked the link and it no longer works.
Do you have access to a ticking clock? Get back to me if don't and I will see what else I can come up with xx

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eQoiAco-2A
try that one: it works for me
x

LindyB

Postby LindyB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:04 pm

1. Going just by the tick tock sound, do you find a clock present?
2. Is there any direct/actual experience of a clock in the sound?
3. Does the sound come self-labelled as originating from the clock?
4. Do you find a clock hidden in the sound?
5. Do you find a clock beyond the sound?
6. In your direct/actual experience of the sound, do you find any evidence that the sound is caused by a clock?
Allow your eyes to open.
Were you able to establish that in your direct/actual experience of the tick tock sound, that there was a clock?
Were you able to find a division between hearing and sound?
Were you able to establish where hearing ended and sound begin, or was there just pure experience labelled as sound?
For a sound to be ‘known’ then there must be a ‘knowing’ (experience) of sound! Can a dividing line be found between the ‘knowing’ (experience) of the sound and the sound (known) itself? Or is there only ‘knowingknown’?
For 1- 6, no, in direct experience there is just a 'disembodied sound'. It is only the ticking of a clock if a label is applied.

Hearing and sound was as one.

The last bit is a bit more difficult but the knowing and the sound seemed as one too, after a short while and when thoughts were absent.

Thanks Sioned. X

Seamist

Postby Seamist » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Great Lindy

Clock Exercise - Part 2
Ok, let’s continue with the clock and try to find a sound...if sound is actually heard.

Again focus on the experience of the tick tock sound. Set aside all thought, images, ideas or theories about what must be going on. Attune to the sounds themselves.
Going by hearing alone, do you directly experience a sound apart from your sense of hearing?
Do you experience a sound getting closer to your range of hearing before you actually hear it?
Do you experience a sound after you hear it?
Do you experience an unheard sound of any kind?
Allow your eyes to open.
Were you able to establish, in your direct experience of hearing, that sounds enter your sense of hearing. In other words, in direct/actual experience is there a hearer AND sound?

xx

LindyB

Postby LindyB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:03 pm

I've just given this a go but once again a bit short of time to do it justice, so will do again tomorrow afternoon when less in a rush. X

Return to “THE GATE”