The Present Moment

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
Shamany66

The Present Moment

Postby Shamany66 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:56 pm

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
It means there is no permanent self and as a result, to study the self is to forget the self ( Dogen ). It is tricky because as the Heart Sutra points out there is form and emptiness and they are the same. So, there is a self, and yet there is no self. to unravel that mystery is no small task which is why I find it important to have guides.

What are you looking for at LU?
Companion on the path and another set of eyes since I have no formal teaching at the present moment. I have found it important to have a community of some sort and also to have teachers as I am not capable of doing it alone.

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
I am not sure what to expect but I stay open to the possibility and have found if my intent is right good and positive things happen. I tend to walk a path of solitude which is fine but I also need the path of the sangha.

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry?
I spent my life in the process of seeking an inquiry and have always lived the question. This included living in 8 spiritual centers and two monasteries both in the U.S. At this point, I feel on somewhat solid ground which usually means I am ready for the next lesson.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self?

Bananafish

Re: The Present Moment

Postby Bananafish » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:42 am

Hi Shamany 66. :)

My name is Bananafish, one of the guides in this forum.

First of all, I'd like you to know that I', not a teacher of Amy kind and I won't
teach you anything in particular; I suggest that you look in a certain way, and
please look as suggested. That's basically what this dialogue is going to be about.

Now, please tell whether seeing through the illusion of a concrete, separate and
permanent self is your primary goal (i.e. an end in itself).

Also, please tell what is lacking to really see through the above illusion?

Looking forward to your reply!

Bananafish
I'm available for Skype or Zoom face to face conversation. Drop me a line and we could arrange
the date.
Email: swinganova@hotmail.co.jp
Modern Koan Project: https://www.facebook.com/groups/628553401153461

Return to “THE GATE”