Looking to lose the me

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
beingmetta

Looking to lose the me

Postby beingmetta » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:15 am

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
After re-reading about this forum and what exactly happens here "I" have come across the idea that there is no-self theorically it makes sence. But I'm still holding myself t and my emotions tightly as if they are me

What are you looking for at LU?
Inside my Brain i feel im still looking for proof. I'm getting the idea I can't solve it this way. But I need some direction on how to come to that point myself. It seems there is some very real useful help here

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
To learn ways to shed the me and to meet a community who is intrestested in this themselves rather then me trying to force them to be interested.. in sure there's lots of techniques I'm unaware of and I'm eager to learn them

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry?
I practice occasionally mediation, yoga, and self inquiry. I read lots of books and am still confused

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self?

Vivien

Re: Looking to lose the me

Postby Vivien » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:36 am

Hi,

Welcome to Liberation Unleashed. My name is Vivien and I'd be happy to assist you in your inquiry.

This is YOUR inquiry. I will not be giving you new ideas and beliefs; only assisting you in examining and questioning the ones that you already have. We can have a conversation and see where it takes you.
The purpose of which would be for there to be a realisation, more than just intellectually, that there never was and never will be a separate self, as, such. All our efforts will focus on that.

I will tend to ask many questions. That's my job here. These, will be pointers towards no self. It will be for you to examine your experience to find out what's true or not.

I would like to ask you to write only from your experience as you see it, what feels true, with whole honesty.
And also post daily.
If you cannot post, or need more time, please let me know.
Can we agree on these?

Tell me, what are you really looking for. How would your life change if you find that?
What are you hoping for?
What do you want to happen?
What is incomplete right now?

Vivien
The most profound discoveries arise from questioning the obvious.

Blog: https://fadingveiling.com/

beingmetta

Postby beingmetta » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:16 am

Hi There , :)
My Names Cole
I would like to ask you to write only from your experience as you see it, what feels true, with whole honesty.
And also post daily. If you cannot post, or need more time, please let me know.
Can we agree on these?
Yes
Tell me, what are you really looking for. How would your life change if you find that?
I'm Looking for truth. I am missing something but feels like its right in front of me. It would change my life in the way of being able to breath and live with this existence. Go about life without limiting myself because of this thing hanging over my head.
What are you hoping for?
I'm hoping to find the truth
What do you want to happen?
To be able to accept what i find out and let go of the idea that its holding me back.
What is incomplete right now?
I feel like i'm stuck experiencing truth through other peoples words and ideas and i don't fully believe it because of that

Cheers

Vivien

Postby Vivien » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:37 am

Hi Cole,

Thank you for answering the questions, but I would like to ask you to give more information and clarification. Please give a bit longer replies.
It would change my life in the way of being able to breath and live with this existence.
What do you mean by ‘being able to breath and live with this existence’? With the existence of what?
Go about life without limiting myself because of this thing hanging over my head.
And what is the thing that is hanging over your head?
And how does this thing is limiting you?
let go of the idea that its holding me back.
And what is the idea which is holding you back?
And how does this idea holding you back? Holding you back in what way?
Inside my Brain i feel im still looking for proof.
Inside your brain? How do you know that looking for truth is happening inside your brain?
Is this something you experience, or is this just an intellectual assumption?
To learn ways to shed the me
Do you think that the self is like a clothing that could be taken off or be shed?
Do you expect that after seeing that the self is just the illusion, the illusion will stop appearing?
And what if the me is not something that could be shed?
What if the illusion cannot be taken off?
I read lots of books and am still confused
Yes, I’ve been there too. Seeing through the self-illusion cannot be learned from a book, or from a teacher. Since learning is nothing else than the adoption of ideas, beliefs. It happens only intellectually.

But seeing no self in not an intellectual endeavour. It’s an experiential one.
I feel like i'm stuck experiencing truth through other peoples words and ideas and i don't fully believe it because of that
Seeing no self is not a belief. So it’s not possible to replace the original belief of there being a self to a new belief of no-self. That would be still just a belief, and not an experience.

What we are going to do is to investigate experience directly, while putting aside ALL learned knowledge and ideas.

Vivien

beingmetta

Postby beingmetta » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:29 am

Hello Again,
What we are going to do is to investigate experience directly, while putting aside ALL learned knowledge and ideas.
I've found this be challenging to find the words to describe experiancing things without including beliefs and ideas. As well as the language to use.
I have noticed that theres lots of ideas and beliefs about the self that have been created
What do you mean by ‘being able to breath and live with this existence’? With the existence of what?
I've have experianced confusing thoughts in my head that turned into beliefs about being a self.

examples of beliefs:
-Should "i" as a person do this
-is "my" self ready for experainces, marriage, relationships
- what is "my" purpose

And what is the thing that is hanging over your head?
And how does this thing is limiting you?
And what is the idea which is holding you back?
And how does this idea holding you back? Holding you back in what way?
I recognized that this belief isn't experience
It started with creating beliefs and ideas about self
Now i have new thoughts that about it all not being real the ideas and its created confusion

Inside my Brain i feel im still looking for proof.
Inside your brain? How do you know that looking for truth is happening inside your brain?
Is this something you experience, or is this just an intellectual assumption?
I do not know that truth is happening in my brain,
My experience consists of beliefs & continued intellectually research
Beliefs that started as ideas in my head

To learn ways to shed the me:
Do you think that the self is like a clothing that could be taken off or be shed?
Do you expect that after seeing that the self is just the illusion, the illusion will stop appearing?
And what if the me is not something that could be shed?
What if the illusion cannot be taken off?
I had a belief that the self needed to be proven as false to let go of the idea
I will have to find ways to experience more and really on beliefs or ideas less.
I read lots of books and am still confused
Yes, I’ve been there too. Seeing through the self-illusion cannot be learned from a book, or from a teacher. Since learning is nothing else than the adoption of ideas, beliefs. It happens only intellectually.
But seeing no self in not an intellectual endeavor. It’s an experiential one.
What are some good things to try and experience, to become aware of this.

Seeing no self is not a belief. So it’s not possible to replace the original belief of there being a self to a new belief of no-self. That would be still just a belief, and not an experience.

I've tried to Answer the questions more from an experiencing standpoint
Cheers

Vivien

Postby Vivien » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:34 am

Hi Cole,
What are some good things to try and experience, to become aware of this.
We haven’t started the investigation yet. At first, I wanted to see what expectations you have, but you’ve replied in a manner that didn’t show what your expectations are, HOW seeing through the self well BE like, or FEEL like.

So before starting the investigation, I would like to ask you write down all your expectations.

What do you expect to happen when the self is seen through?
What do you think what would change, and what wouldn’t?
How so you imagine, how it would be like?
What do you imagine, how it would FEEL like?

So far, we are just having an everyday conversation, so you don’t have look at experience, not yet. We haven’t started the investigation yet.

I’m going to be honest with you. I find your replies a bit strange. Have you read lots of threads here in LU, and you might not want to expose your beliefs? Or is there any other reason why your replies are so short and reserved?

Also, from now on I would like to ask you to not bulk-reply, since than you can miss some important questions. Please always reply each question one-by-one. Can we agree on this?

Also, please give more information, write more. There are only your written words I can work with, and reply to. I have to know where are you at the moment, otherwise my comments and pointers won’t have too much value for you.

Vivien

beingmetta

Postby beingmetta » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:57 am

Hi there,
I've found you're questions hard to understand. I feel like every question has the same answers
how it would be like?
When you ask those questions: how will it feel. how would it be like. what do you imagine
I have to imagine because i don't know.
So i'm imagining what it would feel like.
My answers all are the same i'm trying to IMAGINE FEELINGS

I had started reading the recommended books by this website prior to receiving the invite. Maybe i'm getting ahead of myself.
I’m going to be honest with you. I find your replies a bit strange. Have you read lots of threads here in LU, and you might not want to expose your beliefs? Or is there any other reason why your replies are so short and reserved?
I struggle with coming up with expectations of an after as I only know this feeling currently and i've never been one to have dreams of future plans or lifes. i Tend to live in the moment. until my thoughts take over of that moment. as its all ive know for along time and what i'm stuck on. It feels dishonest to write long reply's that i'm writing because I've been asked to and don't resonate with me. I know what it feels like right now and thats what im wanting to change. I will try and dig deeper.
Also, from now on I would like to ask you to not bulk-reply, since than you can miss some important questions. Please always reply each question one-by-one. Can we agree on this?
Yes
i expect to feel at peace
I expect to feel connected
I expect to feel in love with the world.
I've come to the point where I don't feel like anything else is really worth exploring till then,
When that's lifted i expect to have room to explore a whole set of new goals to accomplish

This question was hard for me to try and answer i haven't had expectations of the future without this way of thinking. maybe at one time i did but it feels like its been so long stuck here. this is all i think about everyday. But am lacking the way to understand it.

What do you think what would change, and what wouldn’t?
-Without knowing would it feels like its hard for me to imagine. I need a picture to visualize things. so for me its a black sheet currently.
If i had to guess, maybe there would be more peace and understanding
disconnection from myself would be gone allowing me to be more open to connecting with others.

I dont think much of my everyday life would change
I would probably still have ideas that trouble me
I would probably still get stuck in emotions from time to time
I would still be me
How so you imagine, how it would be like?
I don't understand how so you imagine?

If i had to imagine what the difference would be it would be very similar but without the disconnection
I imagine the same person but with new thoughts
I imagine that i would want to connect with a partner
I imagine that i would still get old and I would still die
the feelings that i think of are
Happiness love peace joy bliss, Sadness, Pain, Enthusiasm

Vivien

Postby Vivien » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:29 am

Hi Cole,
I've found you're questions hard to understand. I feel like every question has the same answers
This whole inquiry will be about repetition, looking at the same things again and again.
It feels dishonest to write long reply's that i'm writing because I've been asked to and don't resonate with me. I know what it feels like right now and thats what im wanting to change.
Thank you for your openness and honesty. Actually, you HAVE an expectation, you want whatever you feel to change, to be different.

The reason I haven’t let you off the hook with expectations, is because every expectation is a ‘hindrance’ in realizing what IS. Expectations result in comparison. Comparison between what is happening, and the imagined expectation. Thus what has been seen can be thrown out or ignored, since it doesn’t match the expected outcome.
i expect to feel at peace
OK, this is what I wanted to hear. You expect or want to feel different. These are very common expectations, but if you want to feel different than how you feel now, if you want the current feelings to be gone, then you can be very disappointed.

Peace, happiness, love are states, and no states are permanent, they are all subject to change. Seeing through the separate individual is not about not having any ‘bad’ or uncomfortable feelings any more. Rather it’s about seeing that emotions don’t belong to anything. They are free floating without being tied to or anchored to anything.

Many seekers believe that seeing through the separate individual is a completely different state that they are currently having, with some special qualities (happiness, bliss, constant peace or whatever). However, this is not the case. Seeing through the illusion that there is a separate entity (self) is not a state. When it is SEEN it, the knowledge becomes factual. Many seekers have the impression that seeing there is no self is a state to ‘abide in’. It's not.
This expectation is based upon the assumption that there is a you, who is currently not connected, but could become connected as it sees through the self.

But there is nothing, literally no self that could feel connected.
The chance of this to happen is very low. And even if it happens, it will be short lived. Since ‘feeling in love with the world’ is a state, and all states are impermanent.

Seeing through the self-illusion doesn’t depend on any emotion. It doesn’t matter what emotion is present or not, pleasant or unpleasant… since seeing through the self has nothing to do with feeling/emotions.

Physiological problems, traumas, emotional pains don’t dissolve just because of seeing no self. So all the conditioned reactions that stem from them still can arise. However, if someone decides to work on these, it’s usually much easier after seeing no-self.
disconnection from myself would be gone allowing me to be more open to connecting with others.
It’s not possible to be connected or disconnected from yourself, since ‘yourself’ is not there. It’s just imagined to be there. So there won’t be more connection to yourself when the self is seen to be imaginary. How we behave with others are based on past conditioning and on our personality, and these things won’t change just because the self-illusion is seen through.

In order for these to change, lots of further looking will be needed. Seeing through the self is not the end, it’s just the beginning, it’s just the first step.
I would still be me
Yes and no. If we use everyday langue, then yes. But if we look at how things actually are, then no. Why, since the statement “I would still be me” will lose its meaning and relevance.

There is no me, no self, that could still be me. This me is just imagined, it’s not there.
If i had to imagine what the difference would be it would be very similar but without the disconnection
OK. It seems that this is what you would like to improve – disconnection. But this investigation probably won’t give you that. Since what you will be able to see that there is NO YOU who is disconnected now, and could become connected to others or the world later.

What you can get out of this investigation is the experiential recognition/insight that the you that wants connection is missing from the picture. It’s simply not there.
I imagine the same person but with new thoughts
This is quite unrealistic.

The self is already not there, so why would thoughts change just because it’s seen that there is no self? Our everyday thoughts are the result of lifelong conditinonings, so these won’t change much. Why would they? The won’t. The same pattern of thoughts will come up just as usual. The only thing that will change is that it can be seen that there is no you, no self which these thoughts are belonging to.
The body will be get old, and will die. But you? You won't. The you you think will get old and die, is just a fictional character. The self cannot die, since it’s not there. What has never existed cannot die.

Before starting, please read my above comments carefully a few more times and tell me what comes up by reading the comments about the expectations.
Is there any resistance to any of it?

After re-reading a few times, is this still what you want? If yes, do you feel ready to start the investigation?

Vivien

beingmetta

Postby beingmetta » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:34 am

Hello Hello,
Peace, happiness, love are states, and no states are permanent, they are all subject to change. Seeing through the separate individual is not about not having any ‘bad’ or uncomfortable feelings any more. Rather it’s about seeing that emotions don’t belong to anything. They are free floating without being tied to or anchored to anything.
So Not being attached to any emotions good or bad
Many seekers believe that seeing through the separate individual is a completely different state that they are currently having, with some special qualities (happiness, bliss, constant peace or whatever). However, this is not the case. Seeing through the illusion that there is a separate entity (self) is not a state. When it is SEEN it, the knowledge becomes factual. Many seekers have the impression that seeing there is no self is a state to ‘abide in’. It's not.
This expectation is based upon the assumption that there is a you, who is currently not connected, but could become connected as it sees through the self.
beliefs/ideas are not experiences got it.

But there is nothing, literally no self that could feel connected.
The chance of this to happen is very low. And even if it happens, it will be short lived. Since ‘feeling in love with the world’ is a state, and all states are impermanent.
Its not something that can be controlled. it arises and passes fair enough.
Physiological problems, traumas, emotional pains don’t dissolve just because of seeing no self. So all the conditioned reactions that stem from them still can arise. However, if someone decides to work on these, it’s usually much easier after seeing no-self.
It’s not possible to be connected or disconnected from yourself, since ‘yourself’ is not there. It’s just imagined to be there. So there won’t be more connection to yourself when the self is seen to be imaginary. How we behave with others are based on past conditioning and on our personality, and these things won’t change just because the self-illusion is seen through.
I am understanding the theme of this, emotions/feelings/beliefs will not be changed and really cannot be controlled.
In order for these to change, lots of further looking will be needed. Seeing through the self is not the end, it’s just the beginning, it’s just the first step.
I would still be me
Yes and no. If we use everyday langue, then yes. But if we look at how things actually are, then no. Why, since the statement “I would still be me” will lose its meaning and relevance.
A first step i wanna take, I'm ready
OK. It seems that this is what you would like to improve – disconnection. But this investigation probably won’t give you that. Since what you will be able to see that there is NO YOU who is disconnected now, and could become connected to others or the world later.
But realizing there its nothing to be disconnected from would in-turn create a connection. we are all one. experiences/ consciousness
The self is already not there, so why would thoughts change just because it’s seen that there is no self? Our everyday thoughts are the result of lifelong conditioning, so these won’t change much. Why would they? The won’t. The same pattern of thoughts will come up just as usual. The only thing that will change is that it can be seen that there is no you, no self which these thoughts are belonging to.
Sounds better to me, building a framework to understand that the whole thing is the part that that i needed. in a way i'm already starting to let go of not having the answers or needing them.
The body will be get old, and will die. But you? You won't. The you you think will get old and die, is just a fictional character. The self cannot die, since it’s not there. What has never existed cannot die.
Again it sounds comforting and helpful to I feel this understanding will help me learn to experience more with less attachments to things that never excisted to start with

Before starting, please read my above comments carefully a few more times and tell me what comes up by reading the comments about the expectations.
Is there any resistance to any of it?
I see a lot of what i had understood from reading the book and forums, I tried to look for answers that I had. like i said they didn't resonate with me but i tried. Why because i already knew they were not going to carry me through this. We've established that and i'm looking forward to this experience. I'm ready to question the beliefs and ideas that i've held close to me for a very long time. i'm ready to see through it.
After re-reading a few times, is this still what you want? If yes, do you feel ready to start the investigation?
Absolutely, I do and i'm ready to get this investigation stared

Thanks for you're time and understanding so far
Cheers
Cole

Vivien

Postby Vivien » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:55 am

Hi Cole,
But realizing there its nothing to be disconnected from would in-turn create a connection.
Or not! This depends on your personality and what childhood conditionings you have. And NOT on seeing through the self.
we are all one. experiences/ consciousness
These are very popular spiritual ideas, but that’s all they are, spiritual beliefs.
There is NO WE that could be ‘all one’. Oneness is based on the idea that there are separate selves, and we can discover that we are not separate, we all one. But this is a myth.

“We are all one”, “We are consciousness”, “we are the same and only awareness”, etc. – These are very common spiritual belief/concept, which are quite enchanting, since these romantic ideas leave a room for the imaginary self to be something real. And this imaginary self is masquerading as awareness/consciousness in a form of pleasant sensations, this self is untouched by the ‘harsh reality of life’. Since it’s just observes what happens, but always untouched by anything, even by death. So this idea is very attractive… since I can live on forever… I will never die… I can never be hurt… I am always pure and untouched.

We are not going to take on any beliefs, we are going to investigate reality to see if these (we are all one / consciousness) beliefs can stand up the scrutiny.
Again it sounds comforting and helpful to I feel this understanding will help me learn to experience more with less attachments to things that never excisted to start with
You are misinterpreting my words. I didn’t say that there will be less attachments to things… it’s just about seeing that things don’t belong to anything, but it doesn’t mean that the appearance of attachment will stop, it won’t.
Why because i already knew they were not going to carry me through this. We've established that and i'm looking forward to this experience. I'm ready to question the beliefs and ideas that i've held close to me for a very long time. i'm ready to see through it.
Great! Since you will have to be open to questions everything… even the notion that ‘we are all one’, the same consciousness.
Absolutely, I do and i'm ready to get this investigation stared
All right, let’s start it. We are going to start to investigate thoughts. Seeing thoughts clearly is essential part of the inquiry.

It is very important that you never think or ponder on the questions. Rather you actually have to look what you can see in your immediate experience without any thought interpretation.

Please always be thorough with looking. Look repeatedly several times before replying.

Please sit, doing nothing for a few minutes. Watch thoughts coming and going.

Can you trace a thought back to where it came?
In the same way, can you follow a thought to its destination?
Can you tell where thoughts come from and go to, without using any imagination or speculation?

Vivien

beingmetta

Postby beingmetta » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:06 am

Hello again,
It is very important that you never think or ponder on the questions. Rather you actually have to look what you can see in your immediate experience without any thought interpretation.
Ok I will do my best.

Please always be thorough with looking. Look repeatedly several times before replying.
I Cannot see where it came from. It just appears in my head.
I cannot just as it came it dissapears out of my experience
Can you tell where thoughts come from and go to, without using any imagination or speculation?
No, I can not. I tried but everything came back using my brain to try and figure it out i didn't have a way to experience where it came from. Only when it was there and when it was gone

beingmetta

Postby beingmetta » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:12 am

Hello again,
sorry i copied and pasted from word the last post didnt quote
Ok I will do my best.
Gotcha
I cannot just as it came it dissapears out of my experience
No, I can not. I tried but everything came back using my brain to try and figure it out i didn't have a way to experience where it came from. Only when it was there and when it was gone

Cheers

Vivien

Postby Vivien » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:22 am

Hi Cole,

There were some quoting issues in your post. You can have a preview how your post will look like. Please check it before posting by pressing the ‘preview’ button next to the ‘submit’ button, so it will be easier for both of us to read it.
Saying that thoughts appear in the head is a learned, intellectual knowledge. What we are doing here is to test these kind of assumptions against reality (experience).

So HOW do you know that thoughts appear in the head?
If you ignore all thoughts and beliefs, hat is the experiential proof for that?

How do thoughts appear in the head experienced?
As a sound? Color? Taste? Smell? Sensation? Thought? Imagination?

When you go along only with experience and ignore all thoughts, where is the exact location where thoughts appear?
No, I can not. I tried but everything came back using my brain
Using your brain? – This is another learned, intellectual knowledge.

But how does the brain is experienced?

What is the experience of ‘using my brain’?
Can this be experienced at all?

Vivien

Vivien

Postby Vivien » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:23 am

I've just seen that you've posted it again with the proper quoting :)

beingmetta

Postby beingmetta » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:49 am

Hello,
Saying that thoughts appear in the head is a learned, intellectual knowledge. What we are doing here is to test these kind of assumptions against reality (experience).
Understood, Its going take some practice for sure.
So HOW do you know that thoughts appear in the head?
If you ignore all thoughts and beliefs, hat is the experiential proof for that?
I Cannot prove that they come from the head based on experience. I close my eyes and experience thoughts appearing, I'm leaning towards a sensation
we cannot use ideas/beliefs to confirm experience.
how do thoughts appear in the head experienced?
As a sound? Color? Taste? Smell? Sensation? Thought? Imagination
I would say as a sensation, as the thought appears it can then get a reaction based on beliefs or ideas.

Using your brain? – This is another learned, intellectual knowledge.
Yes, you are correct. its an idea.

But how does the brain is experienced?
No the brain is not experienced. its a belief
What is the experience of ‘using my brain’?
Can this be experienced at all?
There cannot be an experience as its just a belief that we have a brain or what it does.

Return to “THE GATE”