Freedom Now

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
Ilona
Site Admin

Re: Freedom Now

Postby Ilona » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:42 am

Thank you for reply.
There is a difference between looking at actual experience and thinking about experience. In experience right now, there is no choice about what is here. Colours, sounds, sensations, thoughts emotions are present, are given. In thinking you can think of what if, what could be different, what should be different, but that’s in thinking, not in actuality. Can you see the difference? I am asking again to look, not to think, but to see in experience that is happening now. Can anything be different now?

Here is a video I made, that may help you to meet the fear. https://youtu.be/jKX1llYtlKE
Write to me about your experience. It’s a 15 min meditation.

Love.
Truth realized will set you free.
http://ilonaciunaite.com

MeFree

Postby MeFree » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi Ilona
There is a difference between looking at actual experience and thinking about experience. In experience right now, there is no choice about what is here. Colours, sounds, sensations, thoughts emotions are present, are given. In thinking you can think of what if, what could be different, what should be different, but that’s in thinking, not in actuality. Can you see the difference?
Yes I can see the difference.
I am asking again to look, not to think, but to see in experience that is happening now. Can anything be different now?
No, nothing can be different than it is right now. It is only thinking that says that anything could be different. I see that. I also see that my own thoughts are constantly lying to me!
Here is a video I made, that may help you to meet the fear. https://youtu.be/jKX1llYtlKE
Write to me about your experience. It’s a 15 min meditation.
What came up during video:
It might be safe to feel the fear but I still hate it. My fear thinks it is protecting me, but really it just tortures me. The fear has no wisdom to offer. I don't need the fear to protect me anymore! It doesn't even protect me, it is just endlessly creating more pain and suffering in the bodymind. The video was nice enough, but some reactivity occured while listening to it. My fear is actually preventing me from taking the steps necessary to create what I need in order to feel safe!!

That's it for now.
Thank you

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:23 am

Thank you for doing the meditation and sharing your experience. You say you are hating fear. Does that help? Can you focus on that resistance to fear, that NO, this should not be happening feeling and see what is there? What is that is pushing fear away?
Can you describe what is that?
Can you allow the fear to do its job?
It is doing it already. Protecting something. If that protection is not helping then it no longer needs to protect that something. But on a loser look, what is the benefit of this fear? What do you get from it? Is resistance to fear a benefit? Is hating fear and having the inner fight with it helps?

See, making friends with fear will allow it to relax. Pushing it away is not going to help it to relax. What makes sense to you more, to keep fighting or making peace?

Love.

MeFree

Postby MeFree » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:05 pm

Hi Ilona

I went back and listened to the meditation again today. It's very sweet. Yesterday I was feeling upset and rebellious when I played it. Today I am much more centered and calmer. Still no message of wisdom but I was able to go deeper with it today. Thanks for making the meditation!

I am also continuing to look at the topic of choice. It is very captivating for me right now. Do I ever really have a choice about anything at all? Is there free will or is the universe just all happening, unfolding on its own?

I see that if the experience of choice is purely illusionary then there is no longer regret, disappointment, should have, self blame, and so on. And there is also no accomplishment, no good choice, no right and no wrong. There is no reason to take anything personally in the negative way and there is also no reason to take anything personally in the positive way either. There is no reason to be happy about praise or success or creativity. So yes, with no choice I am free of a lot of suffering but also lose out on a lot of the positive things too.

No choice = no more regrets about the past and also no personal praise for what goes well. No blame and no praise. Then I am left with a sense of loss. Yes I am losing the pain of personal choice but I am also losing the pleasure as well.

Do I have a choice to believe in choice or not? What is the truth? Is everything that is experienced just the unfolding of the impersonal universe? Or do I really have choice?

Well this is what I am trying to see.

Ok now I will focus on what you sent me today
Thank you for doing the meditation and sharing your experience. You say you are hating fear. Does that help?
No, it does not help. But it is here. Most of my life I hated myself for being controlled and limited by fear. Now I just hate the fear but don't hate myself so much for having it. So that is an improvement.
Can you focus on that resistance to fear, that NO, this should not be happening feeling and see what is there?
The whole mind body complex is involved. Everything in me wants to get away from the fear.
What is that is pushing fear away?
The I-me-self is pushing fear away.
Can you describe what is that?
I don't know how to describe the I-me-self. It's just me.
Can you allow the fear to do its job?
I have no choice, it does it's job whether I like it or not.
It is doing it already. Protecting something. If that protection is not helping then it no longer needs to protect that something. But on a closer look, what is the benefit of this fear?
I do get some protection from the fear but the thing is that the fear is often overwhelming. Normal real fear can be ok, I am talking about ptsd fear. It has little relationship to current situations. It is trying to protect me retroactively. Which of course will never work.
What do you get from it?
Are you asking what do get from fighting the fear? I get to be less overwhelmed.
Is resistance to fear a benefit?
Otherwise I'm frozen
Is hating fear and having the inner fight with it helps?
I'm not saying it helps. I'm saying that it happens for me that way. Are you saying that I have a choice to fight or not? (The other day you were saying there are no choices about anything).
See, making friends with fear will allow it to relax. Pushing it away is not going to help it to relax. What makes sense to you more, to keep fighting or making peace?
Making peace makes more sense but it is out of my control. Of course I would choose being at peace with the fear as a logical choice but this bodymind is the one making it all happen beyond whatever I want. What I want is unimportant to the underlying bodymind system

Ok that's all for today
Thank you!

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:21 am

Thank you for reply and honesty.
I went back and listened to the meditation again today. It's very sweet. Yesterday I was feeling upset and rebellious when I played it. Today I am much more centered and calmer. Still no message of wisdom but I was able to go deeper with it today. Thanks for making the meditation!
Can I ask you, when you ask the fear for wisdom, do you get words, images or silence? Silence is the highest answer. If you get that silence, it is not absence of wisdom, it is showing you the depth of stillness, take that for the answer.

Ok, let’s look at choice. You say, that body is choosing and it’s not up to your wants. Yes. There are patterns, programs, behaviours, reactions and they are happening. Even wanting is happening as a program. It’s all unconscious. And to change those patterns firstly you become conscious of them. In the light of consciousness they can change.

So you see reactions. You are conscious of what body does, you see what is happening. That’s it. You don’t need to try to change, fix or control, trying is not going to change what is. The very act of being aware of what is happening allows that happening to adjust. Patience is required, and a lot of it.

As for praise, yes, that goes too. That does not mean that joy of accomplishment goes, it’s just not owned anymore. What is that need a praise? What is that wants to be proud? Who needs a medal for being good? What is that compares itself to others and is in competition?

Love.

MeFree

Postby MeFree » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Hi Ilona
Can I ask you, when you ask the fear for wisdom, do you get words, images or silence?
I get silence.
Silence is the highest answer. If you get that silence, it is not absence of wisdom, it is showing you the depth of stillness, take that for the answer.
Not sure if it is true stillness silence or just that fear won't share it's wisdom with me. But either way there is no answer.
Ok, let’s look at choice. You say, that body is choosing and it’s not up to your wants. Yes. There are patterns, programs, behaviours, reactions and they are happening. Even wanting is happening as a program. It’s all unconscious. And to change those patterns firstly you become conscious of them. In the light of consciousness they can change.
Yes, even wanting is happening as a program. Becoming conscious of patterns, yes I see the importance of that.
So you see reactions. You are conscious of what body does, you see what is happening. That’s it. You don’t need to try to change, fix or control, trying is not going to change what is. The very act of being aware of what is happening allows that happening to adjust. Patience is required, and a lot of it.
Yes, patience is required. Unfortunately I'm already 60yrs old. Have been working on this my whole adult life. Not enough time left! Ok, so I need to allow that too. Am doing my best to allow things to be as they are, but often very frustrated and impatient. I suppose that frustration and impatience are programmed patterns as well. Do I need to even allow the frustration and impatience to be here too? Sigh....

As for praise, yes, that goes too. That does not mean that joy of accomplishment goes, it’s just not owned anymore. What is that need a praise?
I don't really need praise all that much, it doesn't really seem to mean much anyway. Yet the insecure emotional aspects of my psyche still seek love and acceptance from others.
What is that wants to be proud?
Feeling of accomplishment is more what I am wanting. There is still an I here who wants this. What am I? There is no answer that is accurate or definable.
Who needs a medal for being good?
Not so much wanting a medal as wanting acknowledgement. Also in my conditioning it appears that being "good" = being "safe". Who wants that? The I-me-self wants that. Or maybe the mind wants that, it's not clear who is wanting that, there is just wanting.
What is that compares itself to others and is in competition?
Comparison is of the mind. It also has an emotional component but it is basically driven by the mind

That's it for now!
Thanks Ilona!

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:07 am

Thank you for reply.
Not sure if it is true stillness silence or just that fear won't share it's wisdom with me. But either way there is no answer.
That IS the answer. Take it. The silence of thinking mind, the gap between thoughts, the awareness is there, that is the answer. There is nothing there! Can you see that? Look at that nothing, don’t just dismiss it as no answer!

Yes, there is longing for love and acceptance. Feel into it. It’s your own love and acceptance that you are seeking, that can not come from outside. Follow the feeling of longing. It is here to bring you home, to total love and acceptance of you.

It does not matter what is the age of the body in this inquiry. There is always enough of time. The time is right now. It does not run out. It’s always here now. Is there ever lack of time in this moment?

The key is to meet what is here. Intensity, frustration, restlessness, all of it. Whatever is here right now. Is there space for that feeling, for that energy?

Yes, mind wonders and gets distracted, but it’s no step journey to notice what is present. And is that something you do or something that is happening? (Whatever feeling, sensation is presently here)

Is wanting something you do or something happening?
Love.

MeFree

Postby MeFree » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:30 am

Hi Ilona
That IS the answer. Take it. The silence of thinking mind, the gap between thoughts, the awareness is there, that is the answer. There is nothing there! Can you see that? Look at that nothing, don’t just dismiss it as no answer!
Ok so that is it. I won't dismiss it. The silent reply is the wisdom reply. The wisdom of silence. I understand that but not sure what it means in any practical way, how to apply that to my life.
Yes, there is longing for love and acceptance. Feel into it. It’s your own love and acceptance that you are seeking, that can not come from outside. Follow the feeling of longing. It is here to bring you home, to total love and acceptance of you.
Yes it is true that I am seeking for my own love and acceptance. I know that it can not come from outside, although I still seek it there.
It does not matter what is the age of the body in this inquiry. There is always enough of time. The time is right now. It does not run out. It’s always here now. Is there ever lack of time in this moment?
Yes, age doesn't matter as far as inquiry goes. I was thinking more in terms of not being able to live the life that I want, do the things I want to do. As far as the moment goes, yes there is no lack of time. The moment has a timeless quality to it.
The key is to meet what is here. Intensity, frustration, restlessness, all of it. Whatever is here right now. Is there space for that feeling, for that energy?
Sometimes there is space to allow for the feelings, sometimes the feelings are too big for the space and fill it completely to overflowing.
Yes, mind wonders and gets distracted, but it’s no step journey to notice what is present. And is that something you do or something that is happening? (Whatever feeling, sensation is presently here)
The feeling that is currently present is just happening. The mind can say I am doing it unconsciously but that is an idea. In experience feelings, sensations just appear out of nowhere, there is no sense of doing them. The sense of doing arises after the sensation or feeling appears. There is a drive to do something as a result of the sensation or feeling. To somehow change it, fix it, escape from it, prolong it, diminish it, intensify it. Or to do something to alter the environment in some way as a result of the feeling. That drive to do something with the sensation or feeling is very strong.
Is wanting something you do or something happening?
Wanting is something that happens. Then that is quickly joined by the drive to do something as a result of the wanting. To take some action to satisfy the want. A lot of doing activity occurs in the mental sphere as well as the physical arena as a result of a want arising. The want itself just happens but that is followed by having to do something regarding the want, either satisfying it or not.

I suppose the next question could be this: Am I doing the doing or is the doing just happening? Hmmm... There is a drive to do something as a result of a sensation, feeling, or want that spontaneously arises. I'm not doing the drive. The drive to do is just happening. But then still the burden is on "me" to "do" something. That is the point where things move from "just happening" into the realm of "doing".

So... The feeling, sensation, or want all arise spontaneously. The drive to then do something arises spontaneously. That's fairly clear. But then am I really doing the doing??? Or does the doing arise on its own as well?

At this moment it is like the doing is just happening. There is sort of me here doing this now and at the same time it's like there isn't. There's me here and the doing is just being done. I don't know how to describe it to really get it across. It's still "doing" but the doing is just happening!

-------

That was yesterday. I was waiting to see if anything more would open up but today is just back to normal. I realize that I had an expectation that there will be some big boom experience where the separate self completely disappears never to return. Now it is clear that the process is more of a wearing away of the sperate self. Subtle shifts come and go...

Ok that's it for now
Thank you!

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:45 am

Wonderful. I hear you.
Yes, there is no big boom, no fireworks, it’s quite the opposite. The shift can be so subtle that it can go unoticed, and yet looking back it’s clear that the view in how things are is different.
Can you look back and tell me what has changed and what hasn’t?
Do you still believe that you are separate from the whole, from aliveness, from life?
Is it possible that something is apart from life happening?

Love.

MeFree

Postby MeFree » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:54 pm

Hi Ilona
Wonderful. I hear you.
Yes, there is no big boom, no fireworks, it’s quite the opposite. The shift can be so subtle that it can go unoticed, and yet looking back it’s clear that the view in how things are is different.
Can you look back and tell me what has changed and what hasn’t?
It seems like nothing has changed in any on-going way. There was a temporary shift in that I was no longer "doing the doing". The doing itself was just happening. There was still a me who was aware of the shift, the I me self continued but was not the one who was doing anything. Then it all shifted back to me being the doer person again.
Things have shifted back to me doing whatever I'm doing and once again the mind chatter is saying that I should have done this or I should have done that in the past. The conditioned patterns are very sticky!

Do you still believe that you are separate from the whole, from aliveness, from life?
I'm not sure exactly. I mean of course I am part of life, I am a living being, but I am not all of life or something like that. I mean that I'm still an "I" as far as my actual experience goes.
Is it possible that something is apart from life happening?
I get it in glimpses now and then but the current experience still has some sense of separation.

----------

I wonder if I am doing the I? That's a strange question but maybe the I me self is also something that is "just happening?". Hmmm.... Oh! Saw it for a split second, then fear came in and shut it down... Thoughts started "why is it scary?" Why is no me scary, even though experience still continues on in any case?.... Nothing happening to no one! That's the way it is! I saw that for a split second. Yes that is liberation but then this fear comes in and there is such strong resistance and then I am back again, solid as ever... Nothing happening, to no one! Yikes!

Well looks like I'm getting closer! But still more to see. Getting tiny glimpses but no permanent shift. Will keep working on it.
Thank you!

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:24 am

Then it all shifted back to me being the doer person again.
Things have shifted back to me doing whatever I'm doing and once again the mind chatter is saying that I should have done this or I should have done that in the past. The conditioned patterns are very sticky!
Yes, the conditioned patterns are there. As always. They are not going to disappear upon seeing that they are happening automatically. The mind chatter continues, talking about what should be different, but now there is knowing that nothing should be different. How to know? It already is.
Can this that is right here right now be different? Was it ever a point of not right here not right now?

The thoughts of should and shouldn’t can be questioned. Is that true that this should be different? As long as you believe that it should, you are trying to change what is and it’s impossible. All these thoughts come to tell, that you believe that this can be different. So notice them and question them. They won’t vanish unless they are no longer believed. That’s the key and the work. Question is this true? Is a powerful tool to see through beliefs.

Still more to see, yes, and that process continues till the body dies. Things come up to be seen. So see them, don’t expect that once you see it once, that’s it.

It’s a bit like this: you are in a desert and you keep walking and there in the distance you see water. You run but it’s a mirage. You see that it’s illusion. And keep walking. And again, there is water in the distance. You run, and again, it’s illusion, a mirage. And then you keep walking and for the hundred time you run when you see the water, and for the hundred time you see that it’s a mirage. At some point you stop running. You know, that it’s a mirage. The mirage does not stop sowing up, but you are no longer fooled into believing it’s real water.
So keep walking and checking, is it true? Is it possible that there is a separate self as a manager and doer? Or it’s all life happening ?

Love.

MeFree

Postby MeFree » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:19 pm

HI Ilona
Then it all shifted back to me being the doer person again.
Yes, the conditioned patterns are there. As always. They are not going to disappear upon seeing that they are happening automatically. The mind chatter continues, talking about what should be different, but now there is knowing that nothing should be different. How to know? It already is.
Yes, it is as it is right now. I'm not saying that here and now should be different. The inner voice is saying that I should have made different choices in the past. I should have done different things in the first place, that could have prevented the current situational suffering.
Can this that is right here right now be different?
No. Right here, right now can't be any different.
Was it ever a point of not right here not right now?
What's happening is that I am experiencing some sort of discomfort or pain in the present here now and my mind goes looking for what is causing the suffering and how did this particular suffering begin? And the mind comes up with the idea that if I had done X in the past then I wouldn't be suffering now.

It's not that the present situation should be different, it is more that there is suffering in the present situation and the mind comes up with the idea that if I had made different choices previously then I wouldn't be suffering now. Then the mind says "I should have done X instead of Y". That sort of thing. That my previous choices chould have been different somehow.

Of course this process really just adds to the suffering. It doesn't help. It just gives me some illusion that the present suffering could have been avoided, if only I had made different choices previously. This process is an attempt to avoid the suffering that is already present here now.
The thoughts of should and shouldn’t can be questioned. Is that true that this should be different?
It is not that things "should be" different, it is more that I want them to be different. It is about preference rather than should. Yes, actually it more about some very strong preferences rather than "should".
As long as you believe that it should, you are trying to change what is and it’s impossible.
Yes I am very aware of the impossibility of this. Lots of frustration about this one!

All these thoughts come to tell, that you believe that this can be different. So notice them and question them. They won’t vanish unless they are no longer believed. That’s the key and the work. Question is this true? Is a powerful tool to see through beliefs.
Yes, I understand that.
Still more to see, yes, and that process continues till the body dies. Things come up to be seen. So see them, don’t expect that once you see it once, that’s it.
I don't expect that seeing something once will be enough for permanent change, there is just a very strong hope and desire that it will happen.
It’s a bit like this: you are in a desert and you keep walking and there in the distance you see water. You run but it’s a mirage. You see that it’s illusion. And keep walking. And again, there is water in the distance. You run, and again, it’s illusion, a mirage. And then you keep walking and for the hundred time you run when you see the water, and for the hundred time you see that it’s a mirage. At some point you stop running. You know, that it’s a mirage. The mirage does not stop sowing up, but you are no longer fooled into believing it’s real water.
So keep walking and checking, is it true?
Yes, see it over and over and over. I understand that. There is always the hope that this time will be the time when I see it is a mirage and it sticks, that this time will be the time I know enough to stop chasing the mirage.
Is it possible that there is a separate self as a manager and doer?
Right now I don't know. Right now it is possible that there is a doer, but also possible that there is no doer.
Or it’s all life happening ?
Right now there is a doer. The other day the doer disappeared for a moment. Intellectually I could say that life is doing everything, including my belief in being the doer, but right now there is a doer person here.

That's it for now
Thanks Ilona!
Am grateful!

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:46 am

. The inner voice is saying that I should have made different choices in the past. I should have done different things in the first place, that could have prevented the current situational suffering.
Is that voice telling the truth? Do you believe that you could have acted differently in given situations knowing what you knew then? Was it possible to act differently then and do something against what felt right?

See if that thought is telling the truth or is wishing for something else, then what was?

Does wanting something different make you feel at ease and at peace?
Yes there is wanting, there is longing, there is situation that is painful. That wants to be seen and felt, fully, knowingly, openly. Say yes to all of it. It is asking to be allowed AS IT IS. Allow yourself to feel all of this. Yes, there is wanting. Yes, there is pain. Can you meet that open heartedly?

When you say that right now there is a doer, what do you actually mean?

Love.

MeFree

Postby MeFree » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:01 pm

Hi Ilona
The inner voice is saying that I should have made different choices in the past. I should have done different things in the first place, that could have prevented the current situational suffering.
Is that voice telling the truth?
If I am in my normal automatic state of mind then yes, it is believed to be true.

If I really look at it with full attention then no, the voice is not telling the truth.

Even if I drop that belief and say that I did make the best choice in the moment, there is still the desire for the past to have been different. To have better memories. To have a better present situation. To suffer less now and to have suffered less in the past.

Do you believe that you could have acted differently in given situations knowing what you knew then?

I am not sure. At first I said yes, but now I'm not so sure. I am willng to look at it more deeply now to see if it is true.
Was it possible to act differently then and do something against what felt right?
It was not a matter of going against what felt right, but rather choosing what seemed to be the choice that created the least amount of anxiety in the moment. The "best" choice was the one with the least anxiety, rather than the most fun choice or the most fulfilling choice, or the most desirable choice or whatever.
See if that thought is telling the truth or is wishing for something else, then what was?
The thought is not telling the truth about the past. I made the choices I made. Up until today I believed that the choices I made in the past led to my current situation of suffering. The fantasy is that I would be in a happier more fulfilling situation now if I had made different choices.

The most likely reality is that if I had made different choices in the past then I would still be suffering anyway, even if I was in a different situation from where I am right now.

Really it's all about getting free of suffering but my mind is having a hard time identifying the cause or the source of the suffering. My mind thinks that the previous choices that I made are the cause of the current suffering!
Does wanting something different make you feel at ease and at peace?
No, it does not.
I can see that the thought that I could have done something differently in the past is also a form of self punishment. (Self punishment is another big topic. Do I believe I need to be punished? Yes. Does it help? No.) (Also as I am going through this process today I am seeing that I have lots and lots of "wishful thinking" types of thoughts going on all the time. "I wish that..." "I hope that...")
Yes there is wanting, there is longing, there is situation that is painful. That wants to be seen and felt, fully, knowingly, openly. Say yes to all of it. It is asking to be allowed AS IT IS. Allow yourself to feel all of this. Yes, there is wanting. Yes, there is pain. Can you meet that open heartedly?
I would like to meet it all open heartedly although in reality it is often overwhelming and I close down to it. There are times of openness but mostly closed.
When you say that right now there is a doer, what do you actually mean?
What I mean is that there is this me, the I-me-self that is in charge and efforting and agonizing over making choices and taking credit for what is happening with the individual bodymind. It is not the effortless flow of things just happening, with no one here. When I say the doer, I mean having the experience of being someone who is doing actions, doing thoughts, doing feelings, doing reacting, doing deciding, doing choosing. The sense of being the one who is making things happen rather than freely being in the flow of life with things just happening on their own.

That's it for today. Spent a lot of time writing and rewriting this today, am not sure how clear any of it is, as I'm not feeling very clear about anything today anyway.
Thank you!

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:30 am

Thank you.
The situation that you are presently in with all its emotions is here to be allowed to be. It’s here to be met fully. I mean, say yes to it. Yes and thank you, I see, this is what is present.

Wishful thinking is a fantasy. What do you prefer? Fantasy or reality? Especially when fantasy is creating more tension than joy?
What is here without this fantasy of how you could have chosen something differently?

What is here is here. It could not be different. Even wishing for this to be different is happening by itself, unconsciously. Let it be too. Look, are you doing the wishful thinking or is it happening automatically?

Are you doing noticing or is it happening automatically?

Work with this.

Love.

Return to “THE GATE”