Registration

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
SimonR

Re: Registration

Postby SimonR » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:05 pm

Hi Stacy
Have a look around you. You can see colours of the
room, of your 'feet’, of your ‘knees’, of your ‘chest’ and perhaps of your 'hands'.

Now point a finger towards the place where others see your head and face.

What do you see? Do you see your face? Do you see your head?

Do you see anything at all there - any colours, shapes, or any movement?

Looking into the place where others see your face, do you see colours or shapes there?

What do you find?
I am aware of this exercise and have done it before and found it equally difficult! The problem is that thinking so easily comes . There is a vague sense of open awareness but thinking comes in quickly in the form of an expectation of something or a thought ‘what should o be looking at’ I’m happy to continue with this

Love

Simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41 am

Hi Simon,
The problem is that thinking so easily comes . There is a vague sense of open awareness but thinking comes in quickly in the form of an expectation of something or a thought ‘what should o be looking at’ I’m happy to continue with this
You know, it seems like a good idea to do this some more. This same LOOKING and ignoring thought is what will allow you to SEE. That "vague sense of open awareness" is what you want to allow. Ignore the thinking, in whatever form.

You have been there. You know that it is so simple that we miss it.

Loving,
~ Stacy

"Not to know there is an alternative to being lost
in thought is to be a kind of prisoner."

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Thanks, Stacy
Yes that sounds (re: keeping with headless exercise) I’ll keep doing it and report back in a day or two

Love

Simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:52 am

Hi,

Best to report each day, even if no seeming change.

I can't guide much unless you say what you're experiencing.

Thanks!
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi Stacy

Did headless exercise a few times today . There is a slight sense of being ‘headless’, I am aware of a spaciousness and a sort of release and ‘lightness’ . It doesn’t last longer though! Thoughts come in quick Will keep at it

Love

Simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:24 am

Good!

That sounds like glimmers. They will increase.

You may have heard, "Enlightenment is an accident. Meditation makes you accident prone."

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:20 am

Hi Stacy

Love the quote ! Still doing headless exercise and having a sense of space that comes with an experience of headless ness(at times) . I think the exercise does give me a sense of ‘doing something’ though rather than just being . ie it feels a little contrived at times
It is interesting when I just try and experience ‘no head’ without pointing or by just pointing straight to my head (rather than foot etc first) there is still a sense of space and being present. There is a sort of release with this and lack of headiness which is interesting

Love

Simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:55 am

Hi Simon,

Sounds good.
There is a sort of release with this and lack of headiness which is interesting
Yes! That 'sense of release" is one way to describe it, like you described it before:
spaciousness and a sort of release and ‘lightness’
By the way, thinking is not a problem. Just let thoughts float by.

Can you find any separate self?

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:51 pm

Hi Stacy
Can you find any separate self?
Not really, but there is a sense of observing or watching, though who or what is doing is not locatable apart from the watching or observing itself. I hope that makes some sort of sense!

Love

Simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:06 am

Perfect sense. Yes, all there is is what is sometimes called Awareness or life-long. Just no separate self.

Here's a fun exercise:

[u]Stream Exercise[/u]

Imagine for a moment a scene, one of a little mountain stream which is tumbling down a hillside gully, not far from its source. It has been raining and so the level is quite high.

Consider in your mind's eye, if you can, how it flows to the right over a little rock (where, had the level been lower, it would probably have gone around the rock), then the flow goes to the left over a tree bow, and then slows a little in a broader place, before splashing over a small cascade into a pool, and so on down the mountain side.

Does it choose any of its directions? Is it even really a separate entity different from the water deposited in it, the rocks, the depressions in the ground etc? Is it even the same entity moment by moment, or more the product of weather conditions and water, like an ever-changing pattern?

1. Can you find anywhere where 'Simon' autonomously intervenes into life, choosing something that is not the product of all the elements; that is not a part of the overall flow?

2. Now please consider a regular decision made eg; what to wear in the morning, or what to eat for lunch, and describe to me what happens. There are environmental factors, there are colour preferences (but where did those come from - any autonomous intervention there perhaps?), practical issues (such as what is available), available time for preparation, purpose (eg; need to fill up for the day, or to look hip and cool for that person!) etc. Where in there is an autonomous entity intervening in the flow of life? Can you find someone somewhere?

3. Can anything be found for which 'Simon' is responsible – if so responsible to what and for what?

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:30 pm

1. Can you find anywhere where 'Simon' autonomously intervenes into life, choosing something that is not the product of all the elements; that is not a part of the overall flow?
Not really. 'Simon' seems pretty ephemeral and even a concept at times
2. Now please consider a regular decision made eg; what to wear in the morning, or what to eat for lunch, and describe to me what happens. There are environmental factors, there are colour preferences (but where did those come from - any autonomous intervention there perhaps?), practical issues (such as what is available), available time for preparation, purpose (eg; need to fill up for the day, or to look hip and cool for that person!) etc. Where in there is an autonomous entity intervening in the flow of life? Can you find someone somewhere?
This is interesting. in some contexts there is almost like an automatic response. However the decision 'should I go swimming'- involves me assessing whether i need exercise or could do without, what time do i go etc. What shall I wear today?- in comes a thought of what i am doing today. Writing at home, so shorts and t shirt. Although these thoughts etc come up and are observed in awareness at first they appear to be dependent on a concept of simon. But, when i look for this 'decision maker' I can't find the source, decisions just happen in a space of awareness
3. Can anything be found for which 'Simon' is responsible – if so responsible to what and for what
No, things just come into awareness. Like now- a thought comes in 'shall i go to the shop'- nothing seems to initiate this, it just comes up

Love

simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 pm

Good morning,

Good observations. Now try this...

Palm Flipping Exercise

1. Hold a hand in front of you; palm turned down.

2. Now turn the palm up. And down...and up and so on.
Watch like a hawk.

Don't go to thoughts – examine your Direct Experience.

Do this as many times as you like, and each time inquire:

How is the movement controlled?

Does a thought control it?

Can a ‘controller’ of any description be located?

How is the decision made to turn the hand over? Track any decision point when a thought MADE THE DECISION to turn the hand over and the hand turns over immediately.

Who or what chose which hand - the left or right hand for the exercise?

Can you find a separate individual or anything that is choosing when to turn the palm up or down?

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:27 pm

Hi Stacy
How is the movement controlled?
Just seems to happen
Does a thought control it?
no- can do it with no thinking (or even a thought about something else comes in)
Can a ‘controller’ of any description be located?
not really, though there is an observation /awareness of it
How is the decision made to turn the hand over? Track any decision point when a thought MADE THE DECISION to turn the hand over and the hand turns over immediately.
Just seems to happen, and when speeds or slows, the same. there is an awareness of sensation of wrist twisting. Something remembers to do it through the day (or seems to?). Also a notion of 'something' turning inward/questing to find out if there's a decision point

W
ho or what chose which hand - the left or right hand for the exercise?
not sure- but when one hand ached 'i' swapped to the other- seemed a conscious decision?
Can you find a separate individual or anything that is choosing when to turn the palm up or down
No but something remembers to do it through the day (or seems to?)

love

Simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Good. Yes, just happenings.
Who or what chose which hand - the left or right hand for the exercise?
not sure- but when one hand ached 'i' swapped to the other- seemed a conscious decision?

Can you find a separate individual or anything that is choosing when to turn the palm up or down
No but something remembers to do it through the day (or seems to?)
Don't ask me. LOOK!

What is seen?

Can you find this supposed conscious decision? The supposed decider? Where?

My answers will not give you yours. Looking will. I know you know this period

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 am

Hi Stacy
Don't ask me. LOOK!
👍 understood!
What is seen?
Nothing , just a flow of thoughts and sensations
Can you find this supposed conscious decision? The supposed decider? Where?
No, not really . Even the act of remembering to do it is just a thought that comes in (randomly) it’s not forced or controlled. Interesting!

Love

Simon

Return to “THE GATE”