Registration

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
SimonR

Re: Registration

Postby SimonR » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi Stacy

Many thanks- a quiet Christmas, but a busy new Year incoming. In light of this I would like to spend a little more time with the below exercises especially as I have a couple of clear days after Jan 1. I have started them but I would really like to give the exercises my full attention. So if ok, I will get respond more fully in the next few days

Love and wishing you a Happy New Year!

Simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:25 pm

Sure, Simon, that's fine.

Check in when you can.

~ Stacy
~ Stacy

"Not to know there is an alternative to being lost
in thought is to be a kind of prisoner."

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:55 pm

1. Notice the current thought that is present. Like when you sit observing the body, a thought might arise “this is my feet” or “here is a pain” or “my breathing is too quick” or “I am bored with this exercise” or “I have better things to do” or any sorts of thoughts....Between the 2 thoughts there is a gap. It can be very short or subtle, just a second or a few seconds before the next thought come in.
Doing the exercise sitting for 10-15 minutes gives some space to observe this. Some thoughts are quite obvious others more subtle, including the thought that ' I am having a thought' or 'this is the gap'. When trying to recognise the gap the thought is there that says this is the gap. However a gap is observable between thoughts at times and also the fact that often each thought can be connected and that some are not connected and that there is a pause in between...
Please do the following exercise:

Throughout your waking day, try to observe the gap between thoughts as often as possible. It can be done by noticing that ‘thinking’ is happening right now, then stop and just simply wait for the next thought to come. In the ‘waiting’ there is a gap between two thoughts.
This is harder as I seem to forget to do the exercise, especially when caught up in the busyness of the day. For long periods, I can get caught up in the day before I remember to notice thoughts and gaps. Sometimes, like above, there is a commentary going on ie this is thought, this is a gap, but the commentary is actually a thought in itself! So, I am trying to adopt a more 'spacious' or open awareness-ness of thoughts/gaps rather than try and 'apply' a forced attention

love

Simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:15 am

Hi Simon,

Perfect.
I am trying to adopt a more 'spacious' or open awareness-ness of thoughts/gaps rather than try and 'apply' a forced attention
That will help! A comfortable sense of relaxation is best.

The point is to learn to LOOK. You're doing great.

Observing Thoughts

Here is a thought exercise. Sit quietly for about 30 minutes and notice the arising thoughts.

Just let them appear as they appear. Try your best to COMPLETELY ignore what they are saying and just notice how they appear without you doing anything at all.

Where are they coming from and going to?

Did you do anything to make a particular thought or thoughts appear?

Could you have done anything to make a different thought appear at that exact moment instead?

Can you predict your next thought?

Can you select from a range of thoughts to have only pleasant thoughts?

Can you choose not to have painful, negative or fearful thoughts?

Can you pick and choose any kind of thought?

Is it possible to prevent a thought from appearing?

It seems that thought has some logical ordered appearance, but look carefully and just notice if there is an organised sequence? Or is that just another thought that says ‘these thoughts are in sequence’ or “they take content from previous thought”, or that ‘one thought follows another thought’?

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi Stacy

Observing Thoughts

Here is a thought exercise. Sit quietly for about 30 minutes and notice the arising thoughts.

Where are they coming from and going to?
From nowhere- just entering and leaving experience - but there is something 'watching' all this.
Did you do anything to make a particular thought or thoughts appear?
not that I can see- but some might be triggered (ie by an outside noise etc)
Could you have done anything to make a different thought appear at that exact moment instead?
no- though arises first
Can you predict your next thought?
. no
Can you select from a range of thoughts to have only pleasant thoughts?
not really
Can you choose not to have painful, negative or fearful thoughts?
no
no- but they mostly seem to relate to 'me' ie a thought about my back pain, or something drawn from my 'memory'
Is it possible to prevent a thought from appearing?
no it just appears
It seems that thought has some logical ordered appearance, but look carefully and just notice if there is an organised sequence? Or is that just another thought that says ‘these thoughts are in sequence’ or “they take content from previous thought”, or that ‘one thought follows another thought’?
No real organised sequence. There is almost like commentary going on that 'notices' thoughts and notices the arising and going

love

Simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:00 am

Hi,

Good work looking, Simon. A couple of things may be helpful here.
but there is something 'watching' all this.
First, I use the term, "Awareness " to describe that in which Seeing, Hearing, Feeling (Sensation) Tasting, Smelling & Thought Arising occur. I could use "consciousness," but here in Bouldet, Colorado, "conciousness" just has too much baggage & is used for products & advertising. Example: a brand of coffee here, called "Conscious Coffee." I like the coffee, but you can see how the word may be overused.

So Awareness is used. There is no separate self, just a unified Awareness. Does that help?

but some might be triggered (ie by an outside noise etc
no- but they mostly seem to relate to 'me' ie a thought about my back pain, or something drawn from my 'memory'
We'll do some exercises on cause-effect, decisions, free will, & yes, memory, soon. There's a fun one on the seemingly continuous commentary that runs for most people, most of the time.

So, now try this:

Explore ‘Sense of Self’

Let’s say that you have lost your keys and you swear that you left them in your coat. You go to look and check all the pockets - the keys are not there. You swear they must be as that was the last place you remember them. You have a vivid memory of putting themthere after you left the house. But when you check they are not there. At this point you can keep believing that the keys are in your pocket, or you can admit you were mistaken.

This is just like that. You may see clearly that the self is an illusion but still feel a sense of self - just like the keys. But feeling something to be true and seeing that it is or is not is different.

This is why we may find ourselves coming back to your expectations at the start and at the end.

Now, I’d like to ask you to explore this SENSE of self very-very thoroughly. Not by thinking about it, but by FEELING it.

Keep the focus of attention on the sense of self and inquire:

Does the sense of self have a location?

Does the sense of self have a shape or a size?

Does the sense of self say or communicate anything?

If the answer is yes, how does the sense do this exactly?

Does the sense of self have any characteristics or attributes?

What is the sense of self ‘made of’?

An image? Sound? Taste? Smell? Sensation?

Thought?

Any Actual Experience?

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:51 pm

Hi Stacy
Does the sense of self have a location?

Does the sense of self have a shape or a size?

Does the sense of self say or communicate anything
?

No not really - just a sense of being present, aware but no definition or shape etc

If the answer is yes, how does the sense do this exactly?
Does the sense of self have any characteristics or attribute
s? no just ‘being’ ‘presence‘ ‘awareness’
What is the sense of self ‘made of’?

Nothing, if anything just a presence here and now (with no definable ‘here’

An image? Sound? Taste? Smell? Sensation?

Thought?

Any Actual Experience?
No image or sound etc- only of that which appears in the sense of self ie like a noise or a thought etc

Love

Simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:56 am

Hi Simon ,

Good!

Can you find any sense of self that isn't just the content of thought?

When you LOOK, is there any "self? " Has there ever been?

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi Stacy
Can you find any sense of self that isn't just the content of thought?

not really - searching but not finding any definable location/ sense of it that isn’t just thought content. However, hard to stop the thought coming in to just experience ie I am ‘thinking’ that there no sense of self outside of thought content?! Who or what is deciding there is or isn’t?

When you LOOK, is there any "self? " Has there ever been?

No. But am I really experiencing this or am I just thinking it again . I ‘know’ there isn’t but am I actually directly
again there is some sort of memory of myself

Love

Simon

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi,

Please don't put your reply in quotes. I mostly see those on my cell phone & it's harder to find.

Thanks!
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Good morning, Simon,

not really - searching but not finding any definable
location/ sense of it that isn’t just thought content.
Yes. Good.
However, hard to stop the thought coming in to just experience ie I am ‘thinking’ that there no sense of self outside of thought content?! Who or what is deciding there is or isn’t?
I'm having trouble understanding this reply.

We are not trying to stop thought.

Based on the last question let's check on "deciding."

For a moment take note of exactly what is being experienced in this moment: Notice all sound, all sensation, all smell, all taste, all colour.

Notice how you're making absolutely no effort to be aware of them. And notice that you're not making them happen.

You're not conducting the orchestra of experience that you're aware of. And notice that thought is exactly the same as the rest of experience. You're effortlessly aware of it, but you're not orchestrating it.

You're not even orchestrating the thoughts which say that you're able to orchestrate thoughts.

There's Awareness. That just is. We don't create it. But Awareness is not evidence of any "separate self."

Then we'll do some more on free will, choice & decisions.

Loving
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Please post every day or every other day. It helps.

Thanks,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Sorry, Stacy

Will do

Simon

SimonR

Postby SimonR » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:50 pm

For a moment take note of exactly what is being experienced in this moment: Notice all sound, all sensation, all smell, all taste, all colour.

Notice how you're making absolutely no effort to be aware of them. And notice that you're not making them happen.

You're not conducting the orchestra of experience that you're aware of. And notice that thought is exactly the same as the rest of experience. You're effortlessly aware of it, but you're not orchestrating it.

You're not even orchestrating the thoughts which say that you're able to orchestrate thoughts.

There's Awareness. That just is. We don't create it. But Awareness is not evidence of any "separate self

Yes. This is interesting. Easier than the previous exercise (which i think I was getting rather 'heady' with) in that there is a sort of looseness or spaciousness with this. An ease: an 'experienced' freedom particularly when realising that thoughts, especially, are not being orchestrated. In this light, awareness just seems to be there- less of a canvas but more of a fabric of experiences?

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:30 pm

Thank you.

Because you experience ease & some shift with this one, I recommend repeating it often - whenever the thought of it arises.

Since you liked that one, let's add this one to your skill set. From "The Headless Way."

Have a look around you. You can see colours of the
room, of your 'feet’, of your ‘knees’, of your ‘chest’ and perhaps of your 'hands'.

Now point a finger towards the place where others see your head and face.

What do you see? Do you see your face? Do you see your head?

Do you see anything at all there - any colours, shapes, or any movement?

Looking into the place where others see your face, do you see colours or shapes there?

What do you find?

Keep looking! Practice as often as you can. Report every day what you are finding.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Return to “THE GATE”