New to This -help needed

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
demellolives

New to This -help needed

Postby demellolives » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:15 pm

I have just finished reading for the about the eight time " Awareness" by Anthony De Mello. Thus ,my user name. I'm just wondering if you work on achieving an ego less state what happens to your desire to achieve things? I tend to procrastinate quite a bit (I know "I" is the wrong way to put it) .This time I want to make a real effort this time as we have a child on the way and I feel an ego driven state is not good for raising a child.

Anyway I'm just starting the rolling here-perhaps the real question should be how does one achieve the ego less state and then the other questions will answer themselves?

What is the advantage of being "aware" ? Ego less.

Robin.

Re: New to This -help needed

Postby Robin. » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:29 pm

I have just finished reading for the about the eight time " Awareness" by Anthony De Mello. Thus ,my user name. I'm just wondering if you work on achieving an ego less state what happens to your desire to achieve things? I tend to procrastinate quite a bit (I know "I" is the wrong way to put it) .This time I want to make a real effort this time as we have a child on the way and I feel an ego driven state is not good for raising a child.

Anyway I'm just starting the rolling here-perhaps the real question should be how does one achieve the ego less state and then the other questions will answer themselves?

What is the advantage of being "aware" ? Ego less.
Hi, This site is for helping people through the gate to liberation. Everyone here who is liberated, ( Also known to some as enlightenment ) which in my opinion is a lofty thing to say, have first hand experience of the illusion that is what is commonly known as the self. To be completely ego less is an ongoing process once you have seen experientially the absence of the I as in "You" and glimpsed into an altered state of awareness.

Once seen by yourself, and not something you have read about, or a held belief in. Will change you dramatically. Once you have been directed to the gate, I promise you that you will never be the same again. Would you like me to help you?

Robin. P.S. IF yes, please allow me to talk to you using your first name. This is the name that your ego is conditioned into responding to.

demellolives

Postby demellolives » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:53 pm

Yes , I would like your help. Barry is my first name.

Robin.

Postby Robin. » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi Barry. Its good to talk to you. You mention reading Anthony de Mello. This man is very good I have also read him, as well as listened to many of his talks. However, to enable us to try and move you along and to what we call the Gate. We need to have you see everything for yourself with no preconceived idea's of what is. De Mello talks about us all being asleep, and how we should all wake up. This is just another way of saying see the truth for what it is. Be liberated. So...............

First of all. Tell me what you expect the outcome to be from being helped through this gate. What do you expect to happen?

Second. Tell me if there is a Barry. Where in your body can he, or the I that is Barry be found? Take a good long hard look, and try to notice any feelings you get with doing this.

Robin.

demellolives

Postby demellolives » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:51 pm

You asked me what I expect once through the gate. To tell you the truth Im not fully sure. I know when I switch off my ego or lower it I find life much more bearable. That when other egos are trying to score points off me I just let it roll off me when I dont react from an ego state. I respond but always from a logical state not defensive . When Im in a non ego state or what I feel is one.
I suffer from being quite sensitive and occasionally a bit paranoid. What I mean by that is I feel at times people dont like me. That Im not that popular etc even though Im married and have quite a few friends. I give myself (and I know there is no such thing) a hard time for not having a big house car etc. I do know from De mello that no -one fully accepts or rejects us. That we all have projections of what we think others are.

When I look at me get quite depressed. Sure there is good stuff there but I feel a lot of negativity.
I hope this answers some of your questions. I really appreciate your help.

Robin.

Postby Robin. » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:01 am

I know when I switch off my ego or lower it I find life much more bearable. That when other egos are trying to score points off me
I suffer from being quite sensitive and occasionally a bit paranoid.
Hi again Dem. Right lets look at this closer. When you sit quietly and watch your thoughts coming and going. You will see that without great effort, and even then, only for a couple of seconds can you shut them out.
These thoughts as we know are your ego. This ego was created falsely by your parental upbringing, teachers, books, and many, many other influences along the way. You learned things by repetition, and accepted truths from whatever impressed you the most.

Now assuming you are sitting quietly undisturbed, looking at your thoughts, happening, or manifesting within what you know to be "Your body". What feelings do you get when I tell you that this is all an illusion?
Tell me in your own way what feelings you get. Where you can feel any sensations?
While you are looking within. Notice that there is the you who is having these thoughts. And there is another you watching YOU having these thoughts. There is in fact it seems, two of you, three, if you include the body in which lies the brain/personality/ego that is generating them.

Which one of these you's is the authentic one?

demellolives

Postby demellolives » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:10 pm

Im inclined to think the observer-the figure behind the I. I have tried that but only for a few minutes at a time. I think demello says when you are aware you understand. That condemnation is not the way but understanding and only "awareness" will bring you that. What is this figure like -the one behind the I? In such a state do we cease to try to achieve as we realise they are only ego constructs?
Im going to concentrate on the awareness and will get back to you. Hope you have a good Christmas. I will be in touch soon.

Robin.

Postby Robin. » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi Dem. Where possible when you make your reply would you highlight the text so as we can see exactly which question you are answering. like this.
Which one of these you's is the authentic one?
I believe you've answered.
Im inclined to think the observer-the figure behind the I.
I'm more than inclined to agree with you. This is the only thing about you that is authentic. Your body has a built in survival system until it grows old and dies, or until it is attacked by various means that deems it unusable any more. It is no more than skin, bones and a mixture of elements and chemicals.

Your brain is also a part of your physical body and also dies. Your brain however is the birthplace of the ego and is falsely called "I" when in fact it is nothing more than a programmed computer, with a very strong ego that produces thoughts of Paranoia, fear, happiness, sadness,etc to control YOU. This you can easily see by observation. YOU, can watch your thoughts come and go. Now the "I" that IS you, which I know is there is perfect. It does not suffer any paranoia, or fear, or anything of that nature. These are concepts that your ego attaches to certain situations.

You are made to think that by wanting something for instance. A Rolex watch. By getting the Rolex this will make you feel happier. In fact, what happens is that the itch that your ego produces is only scratched when you receive the Rolex. Your happiness is temporary until your ego produces another itch.

I want you to notice what happens when you sit with the certain and sure true knowledge that there is no you, or "I", whilst looking within at what your thoughts do. What physical sensations you have. Keep bearing in mind that all your preconceived idea's about everything are really your ego. Your beliefs are based on what you took to be truths, not always by direct experience and seeing. Putting your finger over a burning flame you KNOW! Burns you. But how many other truths are all second hand information that was told to you as a truth?

A good analogy for instance is. Your mother always said what a clever little person you were. Your father always said you would never come to any good. Who was the dominant person for you? Which idea about yourself did you believe? When looking very closely we can see that they were both wrong as there is no YOU within that body mind. You are clearly the watcher. See how this sits. Watch what your ego does with this new factual piece of information then write back to me.

A very happy Christmas to you also.

Robin.

demellolives

Postby demellolives » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:06 am

I'm afraid my technical skills are quite limited and I dont know how to highlight text. Have tried it unsuccessfully on other forums . But will try again! Anyway will give the "awareness" a go next few days and get back to you.

Have a good x mass Robin.

Robin.

Postby Robin. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:39 am

A very happy Christmas to you and your family Dem. To highlight, Left click and hold your mouse. Slide over the text and it will highlight in blue usually. Then click the quote icon in the right corner of the mail. It will transfer then to the new mail. This is done after clicking on reply and a new page shows up. You can read the previous mails below the new one you are about to start of course.

demellolives

Postby demellolives » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:43 pm

A very happy Christmas to you and your family Dem. To highlight, Left click and hold your mouse. Slide over the text and it will highlight in blue usually. Then click the quote icon in the right corner of the mail. It will transfer then to the new mail. This is done after clicking on reply and a new page shows up. You can read the previous mails below the new one you are about to start of course.

Got it! Thanks Robin. To Reply to your previous question about various comments people make-ie Mother / father-I think I grasped that fully. People'views on you alter according to their perceptions but is it not also true that some comments on our performance are accurate ie if we hit a good shot in tennis? I realise that we (our egos) make the mistake of internalising this praise but it still is a good shot-is it not?
I really wish you amd yours a good x mass.

demellolives

Postby demellolives » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Had a look at Tony Parsons whom I found pretty good. He uses great analogy that we tend to look at things in terms of protection or want-we either want toi Protect ourselves or we want something from a person/object but he feels the enlightened state is one where we look at everything like a lover-unconditionally. He is also critical of this categorisation of people as enlightened or non -enlightened as that in itself denotes possession rather than being.

Its not a state we get too-we are already there he seems to say-we just need to drop delusions of I.

Just sneaking a few minutes to journal this.

Robin.

Postby Robin. » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:37 pm

[/quote]Got it! Thanks Robin. To Reply to your previous question about various comments people make-ie Mother / father-I think I grasped that fully. People'views on you alter according to their perceptions but is it not also true that some comments on our performance are accurate ie if we hit a good shot in tennis? I realise that we (our egos) make the mistake of internalising this praise but it still is a good shot-is it not?
I really wish you amd yours a good x mass.[/quote]

LOL Nope. Its not a good shot at all as no one ever took it in the first place. Likewise, no one is writing this mail. It is all an illusion of self.Self is an illusion created by the ego. The ego works its belief system on what the strongest impression was. It is also trained from birth to obey authority.You have authoritarian figures all around you. People who you deem to be better than you, those who you revere, those who scare you, those who deem to be you peers The authentic YOU is the watcher of the ego, and the watcher of all your thoughts and feelings / sensations. Your ego will try its damnedest to make you feel that the thoughts it's producing are YOU. This is the paradox. It makes you feel paranoid to hold you back. It makes you fearful. It fills you with low self esteem. And it can also build you right up to believe you are a tennis ace. It's all meaning less to the watcher. Everything is simply happening. But to no one. And likewise, all there ever is is what's happening NOW! Too late, you missed it. Now has just gone, and everything in the past is none existent, just like the future, it never arrives. The only.
constant is the substrate that everything is taking place on. That is that beautiful watcher that is you, me, and everything else. YOU are as big as anything else. YOU are! Everything else. YOU are! All, and everything. Looking inward you do agree that there is no you in there. There is only a bag of chemicals and a flimsy control tower called a brain.The only authentic reality is the watcher.

Ponder on this. Don't be swayed by Tony Parsons or anyone else. Look for yourself and only accept what you see, and experience first hand. Not some second hand information.

Happy Christmas to you and yours.

Robin.

demellolives

Postby demellolives » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks Robib- might try to stop intellectualising this and just practice. Get back to you in a few days.

Robin.

Postby Robin. » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks Robib- might try to stop intellectualising this and just practice. Get back to you in a few days.
That's the way. Intellectualising anything on this path is a sure way to cause a stumbling block. Simply look, and be honest to yourself with what YOU see. There is only one truth, and it cannot be second hand. It belongs to the seeker which is you. Never assume that what he/she said is actual truth. It has to be your truth. I can only give you pointers, and then you must challenge, and satisfy yourself. Its a simple, "Is it dark outside? or is the sun shining". There will be no doubt.

Return to “THE GATE”