New here, thank you

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
SAHGypsy

New here, thank you

Postby SAHGypsy » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:23 am

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
I understand much of what we call self is created by social patterns and memories out of our control and possibly not real at all. I also find the balance between the process of realization and social role balancing difficult. I mask who I am socialy much of the time. I have tried many teachers and now feel very fuzzy about TRUTH.

What are you looking for at LU?
I am hoping to gain a better understanding of how to live in the "real" world and also maintain less egoic and mental patterns. I would like to live in a space without the self created mental suffering. I would like to learn more about how to do this.

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
I would like love, patience for when I am a small self. I would like an understanding of how to do this while being a parent and buisness owner and such. I would like humor and understanding and questioning.

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry?
I have been on this path since 2012. I have listened to and read a lot of different teachers. I would like a clearer and more simpler path.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self? 8

Anastacia42

Re: New here, thank you

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 am

Hi,

This Direct Pointing is certainly clear & simple. It flies in the face of what we've been taught to believe.

Why 8? Are you just frustrated?

And I'm going to skip ahead & help you about truth

Here is how to distinguish truth from lies.

We often lie every day & don't realize it.

For example, the grocery clerk asks, "How are you?" You reply, "I'm fine." While, yes. there is a sense in which we are always fine, even in the middle of suffering, at that moment, you were grieving the death of your dog, you had a slight sore throat & you had a headache, but you didn't feel like sharing all of that with the grocery clerk, so you lied, "I'm fine."

Also, it matters none at all how "distant" the remembered lie is. Besides the fact that time itself is fictional, a kind if lie, as we recall the lie it becomes present in this moment, as if it were happening now. This brings the body Sensation that accompanies lying.

Lies can be intentional or unintentional, conscious or unconscious, even so automatic that we ourselves are fooled.

The story of a separate "self" is a lie.

This is the lie you came here to see through. Therefore, it is helpful to notice the body Sensation of lying as one of the tools for finding the truth of no self.

You want to be in touch with body Sensations & able to clearly express them in words. This will help.

Lies are usually felt in the heart or solar plexus as a contraction that we may label as tight, heavy or tense.

In contrast, truth is usually expansive. We may call it loose, light or relaxed.

First, can you remember a time when you lied to someone you loved?

Here we count anything, lies we think of as "big" or "small" that "matter" or don't "matter."

How are you? I'm fine. No, your knee hurts, but you don't feel like discussing it with the grocery clerk.

It's a lie. A seemingly "bigger" one will work better for this exercise.

Find the lie. I don't need the whole story, just a few key words to refer to it.

Then scan your body for any Sensation (DE or Direct Experience), particularly in the gut or maybe the heart. Check very closely.

What is found?

If you think the memory you used wasn't clear enough, find another one or lie to yourself right now, make something up.

1 + 1 = 14 is a lie.

I love eating worms is (probably) a lie.

Or call up a video of a lying politician & notice what Sensations arise as you listen.

I will give you a clue: it is not that peaceful Sensation you felt before when you omitted "I." (refers to an exercise I gave before this one)

Please report back with what body Sensations (not interpretations) you feel. Bodies can feel hot or cold, heavy or light, contraction or expansion, etc.

"Peaceful" is an interpretation of a body Sensation, not the Sensation itself, for example.

Do you see that?

Next. separately, I'm going to post my usual introduction with a lot of helpful guidelines & information. Let me know if you'd like to continue.

Loving,
~ Stacy

"Thought is a garbage can. If you look into the garbage can, all you will get is garbage."

~ Adyashanti

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:12 am

Hi,

My name is Stacy and I can be your guide, if you would like.

One thing I want to make very clear up front is that with me, you must post every day. If you know yourself and your schedule are such that you cannot do this, tell me, "no," and someone else can guide you, please.
Yes, if once in a while you must post later, please post a note telling me when you will return.

If you haven't already read the disclaimer, please read it now and just confirm to me that you have read it. Here is the link.

http://liberationunleashed.com/disclaimer-2/

Also please read “Liberation Unleashed is not …” in the FAQ’s of LU. Here is the link.

http://liberationunleashed.com/about/faq/#faq-1041

Some housekeeping guidelines:

1. Post at least once a day, or every second day. If you need more time, or are unable to post for several days, just write a quick post on your thread to let me know please.

2. There is no one judging answers given, so please be 100% honest in your answers and inquiry.

3. This exploration is based on actual experience (AE) - smell, taste, sound, sensation, color and observed thoughts. Long-winded analytical and philosophical answers are best avoided and may even hinder progress. This is not a self-improvement process. There is no ‘self’ to improve.

4. Put aside all other teachings, philosophies, rituals, practices, books/reading and so on for the remainder of this investigation. Really put all your effort and attention in to seeing this reality, as it is. If you have a daily meditation practice, it is fine to continue that but is not necessary for this exploration.

Technology is not perfect and sometimes there is a glitch which can wipe out your responses. It is advisable that you copy and paste questions asked into Word, answer them there and then copy and paste them to your thread. Always save a copy of what you have done, it will save time in the long run!

To begin with, so that we both become aware of what your expectations are about this exploration. In your own words (not from actual experience, but just honest answers), could you please answer the 4 following questions:

How will life change?
How will you change?
What will be different?
What is missing?

Throughout this exploration I would like you to answer all questions that I have written in blue text. Please answer all questions even if I miss using the blue text.

Please answer questions individually, remembering to use the quote function to highlight the question being answered.

Below is a link to the video with instructions on using the Quote Function. Please watch it. Use the PREVIEW button to make sure your text looks right before you hit "SUBMIT."

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=660

What would you like for me to call you? What time zone are you in, please?

Loving,
~ Stacy

"Thought is a garbage can. If you look into the garbage can, all you will get is garbage."

~ Adyashanti

SAHGypsy

Postby SAHGypsy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 am

Lovey, I do not think I could post every day ❤️

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:24 am

Okay, what *could* you do?

The consistency is partly for you to keep momentum up and partly so I can keep up with what we are doing.

What do you think?
~ Stacy

~ Adyashanti

SAHGypsy

Postby SAHGypsy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:28 am

Most every weekday. Every other weekend I try not to use my phone or computer.

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 am

Oh, that's not bad. I can work with that.

So take a look at what I sent. Answer the questions in blue and let's see how it goes. OK?

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Adyashanti

SAHGypsy

Postby SAHGypsy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 am

Do I post here or send privately?

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:54 am

We postvour exchanges here.
~ Stacy

~ Adyashanti

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 am

If you are ready to begin please answer the 4 questions in blue that were in my first post.

Thank you
~ Stacy

~ Adyashanti

SAHGypsy

Postby SAHGypsy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:49 am

It likey won’t
I (the I Am) won’t change
Perspective and focus will be “different”
Awareness

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:51 pm

Okay,

Okay
Okay, your expectations are fairly reasonable.

Now what comes up when reading that there is no separate self, never has been, and never will be? That the whole thing was a made up story that we believed.

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Adyashanti

SAHGypsy

Postby SAHGypsy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:01 pm

I think the difficulty I am having with that awareness is the struggle then to go back to normal living. I am raising for children and running a business so I miss the story that used to motivate me.

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:25 pm

Some of that will become clearer. Motivation is unnecessary.

This is how to LOOK for no self in the exercises - we call them "pointers' - that we will be doing here:

Colored Socks

There is a big difference between knowing that there is nothing to give up and seeing that there is nothing to give up.

Here is an example to illustrate the difference:

If I ask you what color socks you are wearing right now you have two ways to come up with an answer:

• You can think about it, you can think back to this morning and try to remember putting your socks on, and you can probably tell me what color you think they are.

• Alternatively, you can take a quick look at your socks and tell me what color they actually are!

Hopefully you would agree that you can only be 100% certain by looking.

For the purpose of seeing this "no self" idea, it is very important that you are clear about this difference.

Knowing is about knowledge which is all in the mind and we are not interested in that

We are only interested in looking at and seeing what is actually going on in your present moment-to-moment experience. We are only interested in your Direct Experience in the moment..

Direct or Actual Experience is

Seeing

Hearing

Feeling (Sensation, not emotion. Emotion is Sensation plus made-up thoughts & labels)

Tasting

Smelling

Thoughts Arising (but not their content)

Please let me know if you are clear about this or if you would like any further clarification.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Adyashanti

SAHGypsy

Postby SAHGypsy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:09 pm

Yes, I am clear on the difference and can dip into that awareness with Practice.

Yes, I am clear on the difference and can dip into that awareness with Practice. I think my thinking mind has a struggle with us because I have memory issues as it is and tend to forget things. So the worry and concern becomes how do I stay present to all the things that I have to attend to and keep the same awareness. I can do it in increments with socks, but maintaining larger awareness and functioning. Day-to-day is the struggle.

Return to “THE GATE”