New member - thank you

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
ACIMONE33

New member - thank you

Postby ACIMONE33 » Tue May 03, 2022 8:44 am

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this? That the self or I thought is a belief or illusion.

What are you looking for at LU? I am looking for help with self inquiry questions so I can have a direct experience through inquiry. I read a lot but am seeking direct insights rather than knowledge. Recently I have strong pull to seek the truth.

What do you expect from a guided conversation? Pointing me to what I am am overlooking, or thoughts that are not verified. I have a strong pull to seek the truth, but would like help in identifying areas to focus. I seem to be all over the map. I realize this could be the ego distracting from the truth, but could use help.

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry? Course in miracles and non-duality (many teachers)

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self?

Anastacia42

Re: New member - thank you

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu May 05, 2022 5:55 pm

Hi,

My name is Stacy and I can be your guide, if you would like. I was an ACIM student for 25 years. It helped, but has some illusions in it still. That never got me over the edge. The pointers given here did.

One thing I want to make very clear up front is that with me, you must post every day. If you know yourself and your schedule are such that you cannot do this, tell me, "no," and someone else can guide you, please.
Yes, if once in a while you must post later, please post a note telling me when you will return.

If you haven't already read the disclaimer, please read it now and just confirm to me that you have read it. Here is the link.

http://liberationunleashed.com/disclaimer-2/

Also please read “Liberation Unleashed is not …” in the FAQ’s of LU. Here is the link.

http://liberationunleashed.com/about/faq/#faq-1041

Some housekeeping guidelines:

1. Post at least once a day, or every second day. If you need more time, or are unable to post for several days, just write a quick post on your thread to let me know please.

2. There is no one judging answers given, so please be 100% honest in your answers and inquiry.

3. This exploration is based on actual experience (AE) - smell, taste, sound, sensation, color and observed thoughts. Long-winded analytical and philosophical answers are best avoided and may even hinder progress. This is not a self-improvement process. There is no ‘self’ to improve.

4. Put aside all other teachings, philosophies, rituals, practices, books/reading and so on for the remainder of this investigation. Really put all your effort and attention in to seeing this reality, as it is. If you have a daily meditation practice, it is fine to continue that but is not necessary for this exploration.

Technology is not perfect and sometimes there is a glitch which can wipe out your responses. It is advisable that you copy and paste questions asked into Word, answer them there and then copy and paste them to your thread. Always save a copy of what you have done, it will save time in the long run!

To begin with, so that we both become aware of what your expectations are about this exploration. In your own words (not from actual experience, but just honest answers), could you please answer the 4 following questions:

How will life change?
How will you change?
What will be different?
What is missing?

Throughout this exploration I would like you to answer all questions that I have written in blue text. Please answer all questions even if I miss using the blue text.

Please answer questions individually, remembering to use the quote function to highlight the question being answered.

Below is a link to the video with instructions on using the Quote Function. Please watch it. Use the PREVIEW button to make sure your text looks right before you hit "SUBMIT."

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=660

What would you like for me to call you? What time zone are you in, please?

~ Stacy

“Hurt feelings or discomfort of any kind cannot be caused by another person. No one outside you can hurt you. That’s not possible. Only when you believe a story about them can you be hurt. So you’re the one who’s hurting yourself. This is very good news, because it means that you don’t have to get someone else to stop hurting you or to change in any way. You’re the one who can stop hurting you. You’re the only one.”

― Byron Katie, A Mind at Home with Itself: How Asking Four Questions Can Free Your Mind, Open Your Heart, and Turn Your World Around

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 3:39 PM Stacy Clark <stacyannclark@gmail.com> wrote:

If you haven't already read the disclaimer, please read it now and just confirm to me that you have read it. Here is the link.

http://liberationunleashed.com/disclaimer-2/

Also please read “Liberation Unleashed is not …” in the FAQ’s of LU. Here is the link.

http://liberationunleashed.com/about/faq/#faq-1041

Some housekeeping guidelines:-
1. Post at least once a day, or every second day. If you need more time, or are unable to post for several days, just write a quick post on your thread to let me know please.

2. There is no one judging answers given, so please be100% honest in your answers and inquiry.

3. This exploration is based on actual experience (AE) - smell, taste, sound, sensation, colour and observed thoughts. Long-winded analytical and philosophical answers are best avoided and may even hinder progress. This is not a self-improvement process. There is no ‘self’ to improve.

4. Put aside all other teachings, philosophies, rituals, practices, books/reading and so on for the remainder of this investigation. Really put all your effort and attention in to seeing this reality, as it is. If you have a daily meditation practice, it is fine to continue that but is not necessary for this exploration.

Technology is not perfect and sometimes there is a glitch which can wipe out your responses. It is advisable that you copy and paste questions asked into Word, answer them there and then copy and paste them to your thread. Always save a copy of what you have done, it will save time in the long run!

To begin with, so that we both become aware of what your expectations are about this exploration. In your own words (not from actual experience, but just honest answers), could you please answer the 4 following questions:

How will life change?
How will you change?
What will be different?
What is missing?

Throughout this exploration I would like you to answer all questions that I have written in blue text. Please answer questions individually, remembering to use the quote function to highlight the question being answered.
“Even those of us who pay only lip service to the truth know what it is, deep down in our hearts. And we all believe in it, and know it when we see it. Even the best rationalization can fool only the surface mind that manufactures it.”

~ Spider Robinson

ACIMONE33

Postby ACIMONE33 » Thu May 05, 2022 10:59 pm

Hi Stacy,

Thank you! Thank would be great.
One thing I want to make very clear up front is that with me, you must post every day. If you know yourself and your schedule are such that you cannot do this, tell me, "no," and someone else can guide you, please.
Yes

Disclaimer confirmed
How will life change?
To live In the moment, in awareness.
How will you change?
Resting in awareness rather than being controlled by thoughts and concepts.
What will be different?
I will be accepting of what is rather than resisting life.
What is missing?
I don’t know.

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu May 05, 2022 11:45 pm

Hi,

Your expectations seem to be few. Know that in some ways nothing will change. There's already no self. In other ways, everything changes.

What comes up when is read that there is no self, never has been, and it's all just a made- up story?

Loving,
“Even those of us who pay only lip service to the truth know what it is, deep down in our hearts. And we all believe in it, and know it when we see it. Even the best rationalization can fool only the surface mind that manufactures it.”

~ Spider Robinson

ACIMONE33

Postby ACIMONE33 » Fri May 06, 2022 12:54 am

Beau, MST

Your expectations seem to be few. Know that in some ways nothing will change. There's already no self. In other ways, everything changes.

What comes up when is read that there is no self, never has been, and it's all just a made- up story?
A since of freedom, but also some contraction in the stomach. I can understand this intellectually, but experience is what I am seeking. It feels as if I am doing and making choices still.

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu May 12, 2022 1:54 pm

Good morning!

It seems I didn't turn on the function that tells me you replied. I apologize. Let's continue.

This is how to LOOK for no self in the exercises - we call them "pointers' - that we will be doing here:

Colored Socks

There is a big difference between knowing that there is nothing to give up and seeing that there is nothing to give up.

Here is an example to illustrate the difference:

If I ask you what color socks you are wearing right now you have two ways to come up with an answer:

• You can think about it, you can think back to this morning and try to remember putting your socks on, and you can probably tell me what color you think they are.

• Alternatively, you can take a quick look at your socks and tell me what color they actually are!

Hopefully you would agree that you can only be 100% certain by looking.

For the purpose of seeing this "no self" idea, it is very important that you are clear about this difference.

Knowing is about knowledge which is all in the mind and we are not interested in that

We are only interested in looking at and seeing what is actually going on in your present moment-to-moment experience. We are only interested in your Direct Experience in the moment..

Direct or Actual Experience is

Seeing
Hearing
Feeling (Sensation, not emotion. Emotion is Sensation plus made-up thoughts & labels)
Tasting
Smelling
Thoughts Arising (but not their content)

Please let me know if you are clear about this or if you would like any further clarification.

~ Stacy

~ Spider Robinson

ACIMONE33

Postby ACIMONE33 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:27 pm

No problem. Thanks for the message. This is clear to me. The present moment is all there is. Direct experience (look) rather than depending on knowledge or past perceptions.

Seeing
Hearing
Feeling (Sensation, not emotion. Emotion is Sensation plus made-up thoughts & labels)
Tasting
Smelling
Thoughts Arising (but not their content)

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:40 pm

Thank you.

Try this pointer:

Direct Experience - Labeling Daily Activities

Here's an exercise that I would like you to try as many times throughout the day as you can. Label daily activities simply color/image, sound, smell, taste, sensation, thought.

So for example, when having breakfast, become aware of:

Seeing a cup, simply= image/color
Smelling coffee, simply = smell
Feeling the warmth of the coffee cup, simply = sensation
Tasting the coffee, simply = taste
Hearing the spoon stirring the coffee, simply = sound
Thought about drinking the coffee, simply = thought

Just break down daily activities into these categories (which are all Actual/Direct Experience) and report back with lists exactly like the one above.

Post several of your own observations in a list *exactly* like the one above, please. "Exactly" means *exactly.*

Refer to the green list of Actual/Direct Experience in the prior post if that helps. Those are the only items any experience can be.

Loving,

~ Stacy

~ Spider Robinson

ACIMONE33

Postby ACIMONE33 » Thu May 12, 2022 9:16 pm

Thanks for the exercise, I will do this over the next day and get back to you.

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Fri May 13, 2022 12:31 pm

okay!

~ Spider Robinson

ACIMONE33

Postby ACIMONE33 » Fri May 13, 2022 9:33 pm

Sitting in chair waiting for dinner:

Seeing a table, simply= Color/image
Hearing chopping in the kitchen, simply= Sound
Feeling body in chair, simply= Sensation
Tasting mint in mouth, simply= Taste
Smelling food cooking, simply= Smell
Thoughts Arising about what’s for dinner, simply= thoughts

Eating dinner

Seeing a sandwich, chips and Apple, simply= Color/image
Hearing noises in the kitchen, simply= Sound
Feeling crisp of Apple , simply= Sensation
Tasting the Apple, simply= Taste
Smelling sandwich with onions, simply= Smell
Thoughts Arising about eating, simply= thoughts

Working at computer:

Seeing a computer screen with people in meeting, simply= Color/image
Hearing people talking, simply= Sound
Feeling pen in hand, simply= Sensation
Tasting coffee, simply= Taste
Thoughts Arising about answers to question on meeting, simply= thoughts

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat May 14, 2022 3:17 am

Yes, good!

How does it FEEL to observe Direct Experience this way?

Now, how about this?

Mind Labeling Experience

Here is an exercise which examines the way in which the mind labels experience - it takes about 20 minutes and you will need a pen a paper.

This exercise is broken into 10 minute lots. For each 10 minute period pay attention to any bodily sensation i.e. is there any tightening, or any relaxing?

For the first ten minutes write down what you are experiencing right now using the word “I”.

For example:

I am sitting on a chair,
I am hearing a clock ticking,
I am looking at a computer screen,
I am feeling hungry.

Get right to the point, no past or future fantasy, just a plain description of your experience right here and now.

Then for the next ten minutes continue writing down what you are experiencing but this time without using the word “I”. Just describe the experience as it is happening using verbs.

For example:

Sitting on a chair,
typing,
breathing,
blinking,
hearing the clock.

(Again, watch what is happening in the body.)

At the end of the twenty minutes compare the two ways in which the experience was labelled and answer the following four questions:

1. Is one truer than the other, and If so, which one?

2. What is here without labels?

3. Do labels affect the experience or just describe it?

4. Did you notice any differences in the body?

Loving,

~ Stacy

~ Spider Robinson

ACIMONE33

Postby ACIMONE33 » Sat May 14, 2022 5:54 pm

How does it FEEL to observe Direct Experience this way?
It makes me realize how many labels or words are put on something that just is. And how the words are excessive.

Mind Labeling Experience

I am sitting on a bench
I am listening to ACIM
I am sweating
I am looking at the sauna glass
I am drinking water
I am reading sticker on sauna
I am feeling hot
I am writing in a journal
I am wiping sweat away

Sitting on bench
Listening to ACIM
Feeling heat from sauna
Drinking water
Sweating
Looking at sweat
Writing in journal
Tasting mint
Watching clock
Looking at glass
Feeling heat
Feeling sweat dripping
1. Is one truer than the other, and If so, which one?
The one without the I am.
2. What is here without labels?
It is just happening, it just is. No doer.
3. Do labels affect the experience or just describe it?
Labels do effect effect the experience, it only attempts to die scribe what is happening.
4. Did you notice any differences in the body?
Without the I it was a lot easier, it felt as if a weight was lifted. It felt more natural and more flow.

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat May 14, 2022 11:17 pm

Great, Beau.

By the way, in in MDT also, near Boulder Colorado.
Without the I it was a lot easier, it felt as if a weight was lifted. It felt more natural and more flow.
Yes! Exactly.

Without the "I" is truer.

Here is how to distinguish truth from lies.

We often lie every day & don't realize it.

For example, the grocery clerk asks, "How are you?" You reply, "I'm fine." While, yes. there is a sense in which we are always fine, even in the middle of suffering, at that moment, you were grieving the death of your dog, you had a slight sore throat & you had a headache, but you didn't feel like sharing all of that with the grocery clerk, so you lied, "I'm fine."

Also, it matters none at all how "distant" the remembered lie is. Besides the fact that time itself is fictional, a kind if lie, as we recall the lie it becomes present in this moment, as if it were happening now. This brings the body Sensation that accompanies lying.

Lies can be intentional or unintentional, conscious or unconscious, even so automatic that we ourselves are fooled.

The story of a separate "self" is a lie.

This is the lie you came here to see through. Therefore, it is helpful to notice the body Sensation of lying as one of the tools for finding the truth of no self.

You want to be in touch with body Sensations & able to clearly express them in words. This will help.

Lies are usually felt in the heart or solar plexus as a contraction that we may label as tight, heavy or tense.

In contrast, truth is usually expansive. We may call it loose, light or relaxed.

[/b]
First, can you remember a time when you lied to someone you loved?

Here we count anything, lies we think of as "big" or "small" that "matter" or don't "matter."

How are you? I'm fine. No, your knee hurts, but you don't feel like discussing it with the grocery clerk.

It's a lie. A seemingly "bigger" one will work better for this exercise.

Find the lie. I don't need the whole story, just a few key words to refer to it.

Then scan your body for any Sensation (DE), particularly in the gut or maybe the heart. Check very closely. What is found?

If you think the memory you used wasn't clear enough, find another one or lie to yourself right now, make something up.

1 + 1 = 14 is a lie.

The Sun rises in the West is a lie.

I love eating worms is (probably) a lie.

Or call up a video of a lying politician & notice what Sensations arise as you listen.

I will give you a clue: it is not that peaceful Sensation you felt before when you omitted "I."

Please report back with what body Sensations (not interpretations) you feel. Bodies can feel hot or cold, heavy or light, contraction or expansion, etc.

"Peaceful" is an interpretation of a body Sensation, not a name for the Sensation itself, for example. Do you see that?

Loving,

~ Stacy

~ Spider Robinson

ACIMONE33

Postby ACIMONE33 » Sun May 15, 2022 12:35 am

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for guiding me. That is wild, I live in Longmont.
First, can you remember a time when you lied to someone you loved?
Yes

Lie: an exageration of the truth to a loved one.
What was found?
contraction in the left side of the gut and contraction or titghtness in left shoulder and neck.
Do you see that?
Yes, the sensations of lies are contracting. And truth as we practiced removing the “I” was expanding and opening.

Return to “ARCHIVES”