Deepening Recognition of No-Self

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
Anastacia42

Re: Deepening Recognition of No-Self

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:49 pm

Good morning, Harry!

Sorry for the slow reply.

Has practice continued? What is found?

You've written things like:
It feels expansive and wonderful.
So, what is still missing? Anything?

Loving,
~ Stacy

"Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion."

~ Rumi

Harry

Postby Harry » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:56 am

Good Morning Stacy,

No worries; thanks for your response and for all your guidance thus far!
So, what is still missing? Anything?
At this point in practice, whenever I feel that something is missing, I can usually look and see that the feeling of lack is actually appearing as something added, rather than something missing. So, maybe it’s a sense of ownership on top of the experience of the body and senses, or a sense of control on top of movements and thoughts, or a sense physical separation in addition to sensations. Then, if I look for the centre of that, be it an owner, controller, or a separate person, there is nothing to be found and I feel free from that sense of lack. If there’s doubt, I can look and see that the doubt just appears on its own, so it’s not a self.

Also, a wonderful experience I’ld like to share is that while walking, there is often a shift from seeing myself moving through a stationary environment, to seeing moving scenery pass through still nothingness. This is lots of fun!!!

Lastly, if I’m able to learn how, I’ld love to contribute back and guide others if possible. I really appreciate the opportunity to be guided by you Stacy, and it’s really opened up my perspective in many inexplicable ways. So thank you! It would be wonderful to be able to share this with others and to help however I can.

I’ve briefly been looking at these resources:

Directing Pointing - Tips and Tricks for Guides
Gateless Gatecrashers

To hear some different perspectives and advice. So yes, I would very much be interested in contributing however I can!

With gratitude,
Harry

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:31 am

Great. We have a tradition of final questions. Do you feel ready to answer those?

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:35 am

Oh, and this...
Also, a wonderful experience I’ld like to share is that while walking, there is often a shift from seeing myself moving through a stationary environment, to seeing moving scenery pass through still nothingness. This is lots of fun!!!
I've had that happen while driving! Fortunately, slowly, in a parking lot. It's freaky.

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:35 am

And you're very welcome!
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Harry

Postby Harry » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:59 am

Thanks Stacy,
We have a tradition of final questions. Do you feel ready to answer those?
I think so! Looking forward to it.

Wishing you well,
Harry

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:19 pm

Good evening / morning!

Here you go. Take your time. When these are complete, I will run them by other guides to make sure I have not missed anything. And then after that we can see about you starting to guide, when you're ready.

1) Is there a separate entity 'self', 'me' 'I', at all, anywhere, in any way, shape or form? Was there ever?

2) Explain in detail what the illusion of separate self is, when it starts and how it works from your own experience. Describe it fully as you see it now.

3) How does it feel to see this? What is the difference from before you started this dialogue? Please report from the past few days.

4) What was the last bit that pushed you over, made you look?

5) Describe decision & give examples from experience.

Describe intention & give examples from experience.

Describe free will & give examples from experience.

Describe choice & give examples from experience.

Describe control & give examples from experience.

What makes things happen? How does it work?

What are you responsible for? Give examples from experience.

6) Anything to add?

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Harry

Postby Harry » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:18 pm

Hello Stacy,

Thank you! Here are my responses.
1) Is there a separate entity 'self', 'me' 'I', at all, anywhere, in any way, shape or form? Was there ever?
Experience is happening right now, but there is nothing and no-one owning anything, controlling anything, or existing separately from anything else. This is how experience always is and how it always has been, whether or not this is seen. Nothing arising in experience is an ‘I’ or ‘me’ or ‘self’ and experience itself is unowned, it doesn’t belong to anything or anyone.
2) Explain in detail what the illusion of separate self is, when it starts and how it works from your own experience. Describe it fully as you see it now.
The illusion of separate self appears as thought labels which seemingly overlay how the experience actually is, after it occurs. In my experience, labels occur in three main varieties: separation, ownership and control. For example, I am sitting right now and I can feel that my body is a thing seperate from the world, but if I look more closely, both the feeling of the body and the feeling of the outside world are just points of sensation, appearing in one inclusive space. This space is without limit, so the feeling of separation is just a thought/concept appearing to overlay this openness where the sensations are appearing. Visually, the sight of the body and the sight of the outside world are also both arising in the same field of sight. It’s only the thought label of separation that makes them appear to be disconnected. Also, I can’t find an owner or creator to whom these sensations belong, or a seperate person who is a driver, owner or resident of this body.

Labels of ownership sometimes overlay sense perceptions too, as sights or sounds can be accompanied with a feeling of distance and of being ‘mine’. But upon looking for this owner, there is no one to be found. Everything is just appearing in space and nothingness. Distance is also dissolved when the owner dissolves.

The illusion of control happens a lot with movement, emotion, thought and speech. It feels like I am thinking, feeling and speaking. But again, if I look for this controller, mover, thinker, feeler, there is nothing to be found. Everything arises absolutely on its own. The illusion of control is just another thought, appearing spontaneously. Control was never there, only spontaneous appearances plus another spontaneous label.

Thinking happens on its own. I can not decide what I will think next. And there is no ‘I’ to decide, ‘I’ is just a word spontaneously appearing.
3) How does it feel to see this? What is the difference from before you started this dialogue? Please report from the past few days.
Separation and control have really dissolved since beginning this dialogue. I always used to feel that my body was a seperate thing, within an external world. But now, I can recognise as previously mentioned that both the sensations and sights that are comprising my experience of body and the world are appearing in the same empty, inclusive, unified, space. Feeling openness, feeling space, feeling no separation, is wonderful. Something that I never knew was tight, clenching, holding on, is relaxing. It feels like a physical sensation, but I can’t exactly pinpoint where or what it is.
4) What was the last bit that pushed you over, made you look?
Practicing sitting on the chair and feeling the contact to see what’s really there opened up a new way of looking for me. Watching thoughts also helped me to see the illusion of control, and how it appears. It prompted me to experiment from a different angle and try to actually control thoughts: I saw that I couldn’t, and that trying was just another group of empty thoughts and sensations. Also, the palm flipping exercise really helped with seeing the lack of control from a physical perspective. This enabled me to look much more often in daily life, strengthening and integrating my practice. I can look to see who is walking or speaking, who is controlling and authoring these movements and commands ahead of time… there is nothing to be found.
5) Describe decision & give examples from experience.
Decision is occurring spontaneously and on its own. Nothing precedes it. If right now I try to choose between three objects, a thought pops up choosing ‘that one’ and I had no idea beforehand what it would have been.
Describe intention & give examples from experience.
Intention is also completely spontaneous. As I am writing this, my intention to complete it is simply appearing and as I write, what word will be chosen next is completely unknown. Intention is not made or created by anyone or anything, it doesn’t belong to anything or anyone. It’s just happening.
Describe free will & give examples from experience.
Because decisions and intentions are arising on their own, without anything preceding them and anyone being here to author them, free will does not exist. Everything is just happening. Decisions just arise, they aren’t ‘decided’. The illusion of free will appears to happen when this process is followed by thoughts of ownership and control. In the very moment of ‘will’ however, just as always, everything is just simply happening, including the choice and the feeling of choosing.
Describe choice & give examples from experience.
Nothing is choosing and choices are not preceded by choosing. The next choice is a mystery! I don’t know where attention is about to go next. Just then, it went to a sound, to a sight. To the screen. Now to these words. Attention is focusing on different points and each movement of attention is happening completely spontaneously and uncontrolledly. Even deliberate placing of attention is another spontaneous movement, just happening.
Describe control & give examples from experience.
Feeling control happens after a spontaneously ‘controlled’ experience happens, be it mental or physical. Even if it is preceded by an intention, the moment of trying just happens. It is not controlled nor is it known in advance. If I try to throw and catch something to a certain height or in a certain way, if successful, then all that means is that the outcome matched the goal. However, both outcome and goal are not controlled. They both simply appear.
What makes things happen? How does it work?
Everything is happening on its own. If there is a thought or intention happening, that can precede an action, but the thought and intention are completely un-preceded. They appear, uncontrolled and spontaneously. Everything is just arising.
What are you responsible for? Give examples from experience.
There’s nothing that ‘I’ independently do or have done. There is no ‘me’ to have done it either. Even when the absence of self is clearly seen, there is no one seeing it. No one controlling the seeing. The seeing is just happening.
6) Anything to add?
It has been wonderful - thank you very much for the opportunity!

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:14 pm

Hi Harry,

That is just beautiful. Your replies may be the most complete that "I" have seen here. You will probably make a wonderful guide.

I'm going to share these with other guides. I'll let you know if they have any questions.

Please watch for PM (Private Messages), top right on this page, where some additional information will be posted.

Much love and many things for the privilege of . . . well, whatever it "was!" ;)
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:03 am

Good morning,

There were no questions. You have passed the Gateless Gate. Watch for PM top right.

I'm Stacy Ann Clark in Colorado on Facebook if you want to stay in touch.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Harry

Postby Harry » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:22 pm

Hello Stacy,

Sorry I hadn’t seen this reply yet!
Thanks so much for all your help, it was my privilege to have this wonderful opportunity.
I’ld love to stay in touch and continue to occasionally ask for help sometimes too if thats ok!

With gratitude,
Harry

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:47 pm

You're quite welcome! My pleasure.

Certainly stay in touch when that arises. ;)

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Return to “ARCHIVES”