Time to see through the illusion

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
vegansatori

Re: Time to see through the illusion

Postby vegansatori » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:57 am

Hi Stacy,
How are you?
I just wanted to check in and let you know that I'm still not quite in the right headspace for a lot of the investigating. However I have been trying these exercises.
You can do a variation of "Zooming In" and zoom in on the pain. I remember you found that challenging. See what comes up.

You can also go the other direction & look for the edge of thecpain, similar to "Where is 'I?'" LOOK for any boundary or edge to the Sensation of pain

I find that immediately after trying to look into the pain, or the boundaries of the pain, it often evaporates for a short while. It kind of reminds me of those optical illusions where you can only see the white dots as long as you're not trying to look directly at them. Do you know what I mean?

It seems like the concerns about getting better, and the health of the body, as well as the amount of socialization all kind of help to reinforce that sense of self. It feels like I'm losing ground in the process. No matter what position I'm sitting or lying in, I seem to get uncomfortable pretty quickly. And then that discomfort or pain causes that contracted feeling, and everything seems to solidify.

Looking forward to having this behind me so that I can focus better. But I've been reading up online tonight, and it sounds like the recovery could be considerably longer than the surgeon had originally led me to believe!

I'll try to stay in touch throughout regardless.
Thanks again for everything!
Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:11 am

That's fine Todd. Don't worry about it, just let it heal & practice and you can.

Much love,
~ Stacy

"Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion."

~ Rumi

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi Todd,

How's it going? Is your knee healing? Have you been able to practice at all?

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:10 pm

Hi Stacy,
Thanks for checking in with me!
I was actually planning to write you today.
How are you doing?
How's it going? Is your knee healing? Have you been able to practice at all?
It is, thanks! Slower than I'd anticipated, but I'm pushing it so I'm making big strides (metaphorically) every day.

I don't know why, but I'm having a hard time staying motivated and focused on practicing lately. I've listened to more non-dual videos to keep it in my head, since I find I'm always more motivated to engage in things that I'm currently interacting with, and I try doing Butt-Chair while sitting in the recliner. It feels like an inner resistance keeps preferring to just watch TV and get lost in thought. I do "look" inside fairly frequently, but nothing significant has been seen (or not-seen).

I was looking forward to this recuperation phase as being a good time to meditate and practice, but I'm having a hard time doing it.

It's almost like there's a small bit of fear stoking the resistance. Not really strong or powerful fear, but enough of something stressful that makes the prospect of staying entertained and numb feel like a better option. Do you know what I mean?

I wish I had more progress to report.
Thanks again for staying on me!
Have a great day!
-Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:54 pm

If you're leaning toward resting, then REST!

All of this will still be here.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:57 am

Hi Stacy,
Thank you for your understanding!
Getting better everyday.

I really feel like I want/need to get back to this. I am having a hard time focusing and concentrating and getting the motivation up. But the urge is there.

Whenever I try to focus on the ButtChair exercise, or the internal looking, nothing seems to happen. I'm not even feeling that expansive feeling that I was getting before. Or at least not much of it.

Is there something else I should be trying first, do you think?

One thing which I will mention that has come up lately is that I can definitely tell anytime I think about the future, or finances, or anything related to these long-term projections, that there is the contracted anxious feeling, which I realize is because it's based around this sense of self, and the fraudulent concerns about a hypothetical future for it.

And few days ago I was watching a show where one of the characters kept repeating to himself "today is my last day", and I kind of pictured what it would be like to know and feel that, and it triggered an immediate relaxation, peace, and letting go of all of that contracted anxious feeling.

So I have been mindfully trying to get back to that space, being just in the present and not trying to project out into the future, but for some reason recently these planning, worrying drives have been extra strong.

Thanks again for all of your help!
I hope you're well,
Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:20 am

Good morning,

I'm good. Leg cramp woke me, so I'm doing this while ibuprofen kicks in.

Is there something else I should be trying first, do you think?
No, just don't try hard. Relax into it. Have fun with it. Also, pain medications might be interfering some. I don't know.
I kind of pictured what it would be like to know and feel that, and it triggered an immediate relaxation, peace, and letting go of all of that contracted anxious feeling.
Good! Yes.
anytime I think about the future, or finances, or anything related to these long-term projections, that there is the contracted anxious feeling, which I realize is because it's based around this sense of self, and the fraudulent concerns about a hypothetical future for it.
Yes, as you know I call all of that contraction the lie feeling. Basically, there's no such thing as "future."

Here's something new to look at. Tell me how it goes.

Time Exercise

There is a general assumption that there is linear time that started (if started at all) somewhere very far in the past and advances to the distant future. The present moment (now) is considered to be a very small fragment of time, or an event that is moving forward on a linear line, coming from the past and advancing to the future.

But is there an experience of the ’now’ moving along the line of time? Any experience of one ‘moment’ giving way to the next? Is there any actual or direct experience of one event following another?

How fast is the ‘present moment’ actually moving?

Just look at 'this moment', can you find a point where it began?

How long does the ‘now’ last?

Where does the ‘now’ start, and where does it end?

When does the ‘now’ exactly become the 'past'?

What is the ‘past’ in actual experience?

So is there actual experience of ‘time’ or thoughts about ‘time’?

Don't worry. Relax. You're doing fine!

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:21 am

Hi Stacy!
I'm sorry that you're still getting woken up by the leg cramps. That's got to be brutal. There have been some nights post-surgery where I've had to get up in the middle of the night for Tylenol and/or a vape. But thankfully they were few in number, and seem to be getting better. I wish the same would happen for you!
Basically, there's no such thing as "future."

This is one of those things that I know is true on the absolute level. And I "get it". But then I also know rationally that I've booked and planned vacations, and when the dates came, the vacations happened exactly as planned, as just one simple example. So even though the future is just a non-existent hypothetical idea for the way some "present-time now" might look, it still feels like we can plant seeds, make plans, and influence that future. Which is where most of my concern with it has been coming from recently. I can play guitar today only because I started learning it (in the present) decades ago. And I'm currently thinking about the future in terms of how best to allocate my time today in order to create the conditions for a better, or more fulfilling, or societally useful version of my life to manifest, providing I live long enough to experience it. Do you know what I mean?

This was a really illuminating exercise. Thank you! I've been trying it periodically throughout the day, while sitting, walking, watching TV, etc.
But is there an experience of the ’now’ moving along the line of time? Any experience of one ‘moment’ giving way to the next? Is there any actual or direct experience of one event following another?
No, it doesn't feel like time is moving, or like film frames are changing or anything. It feels like my perspective is stable, eternally, but that situations, or a current of sensations, continue flowing and changing.

I have a metaphor which comes to mind for what it feels like to me. It's a weird one, but basically it feels like there's a pool filled with water, and a hose comes out of the water into a parabola shape, and then bends back down into the pool. The pool water comes up through the hose and back out into the pool. But I am perched on top of the peak of the hose's parabola where everything seems still and unchanging. And I can see that everything appears stable and still. Inside the hose, the water, or in this case life events or bodily sensations, keep flowing through and changing, but it feels completely still from my vantage point. I know that's a clunky metaphor, but it's the one that kept popping up when I tried to put into words what this feels like.
How fast is the ‘present moment’ actually moving?
On close inspection, it feels like it's ever-present. Like it isn't moving at all.
Just look at 'this moment', can you find a point where it began?
No. I can find periods where I'm suddenly not lost in thought and am just aware that I'm present "in the moment", but even that has no clear demarcation.
How long does the ‘now’ last?
It really feels like it never ends or changes. If I try to pinpoint a specific "now", it's gone before I can even think about it existing. But the feel is that nothing changes.
Where does the ‘now’ start, and where does it end?
Again, I can seem to lose it for a bit when I get lost in thought, but I know it's still really the same now. I'm just preoccupied and not noticing it as much.
When does the ‘now’ exactly become the 'past'?
The now only becomes the past when I invoke a memory and think about something that happened, but that isn't currently happening.
What is the ‘past’ in actual experience?
Just a thought.
So is there actual experience of ‘time’ or thoughts about ‘time’?
No, there's really just an experience of this ineffable period of nowness in which the sounds, sights, and other sensations seem to be constantly changing. But it really feels like the same period of time, all the time.

It's a weird realization and distinction! (Though it doesn't completely dissolve my concern for preparing for a hypothetical "future now" which may or may not appear one day.) I struggle in getting the absolute truth to keep me from being concerned with the relative truth. I mean, all summer I did tests for this surgery that was scheduled on 9/9. And of course, 9/9 eventually came, and I had the surgery, and now I have stitches and a swollen knee because of it. So it does seem like things flow in a single direction, where one event contributes to the arising of another event, at least in our practical day-to-day world. So do you find that the awareness of the reality of an ever-present now with no stable future changes your behavior and the way you live your life on a practical basis?

Thanks very much for everything, and I hope you have a better night's sleep tonight!
-Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:16 am

Hi Todd,

First, not to be rude, but you can skip all of the defensive discussion about your thoughts & beliefs about time okay? Remember Colored Socks? Read that again, please.We don't care about content of thoughts here. When you're finished, we can have all the discussion you want.
So do you find that the awareness of the reality of an ever-present now with no stable future changes your behavior and the way you live your life on a practical basis?
Yes, I relax more now. The "future" is no concern of mine. My thinking still thinks about it - that's what it does - but I no longer believe it. It's much less stressful.

No actual past or future has *always* been the case. Same thing with no "self." There's no self & never was, so there's nothing to lose that was never there!

When you answered the actual pointer, you could see. When you devolved into stories (lies, really) you did not see what is. You were making up stories.
I struggle in getting the absolute truth to keep me from being concerned with the relative truth.
Don't struggle. It's like a finger puzzle, it will only draw the lies tighter.

Do relax. It's the only way to see.

Memory Exercise

Almost everybody believes that a memory thought is referring to something that has happened. That a memory thought is a different thought than a non-memory thought.

Please don’t go to thought explanations, but just let a memory be there, and look at it.

Look at what is actually going on and not what thoughts say - but what actually is.

What is memory exactly?
What is the memory ‘made of’?
WHEN does the memory appear?

What is the exact difference between a ‘general’ thought and a ‘memory’ thought?

How is it known EXACTLY that a ‘memory’ thought refers to something that has happened?

Then, look at a thought about the future.

What is the future thought ‘made of’?
WHEN does the future thought appear?
What is the exact difference between a ‘general’ thought and a ‘future’ thought?
How is it known EXACTLY that a ‘future’ thought refers to something that will happen?

Then let’s compare a thought about past and a thought about the future.

What is the EXACT difference between the thoughts about past and future?

If there is difference and how is that difference is known exactly?

Don't bother defending & discussing. That isn't helping. Just LOOK.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:54 am

Hi Stacy!
you can skip all of the defensive discussion about your thoughts & beliefs about time okay?
When you answered the actual pointer, you could see. When you devolved into stories (lies, really) you did not see what is. You were making up stories.
My problem is that "seeing" doesn't feel as convincing to me as it could because I immediately rationalize everything as a convincing illusion if it doesn't correlate to observable reality. The lack of self seems totally plausible, both because upon actual "looking" investigation, I can't find one, but also because current neuroscience mostly agrees that the sense of self is just an illusion caused by the brain. The time thing is trickier for me to embrace as true just by seeing. (Let's just say I don't trust my senses.)

Okay, I tried this one periodically throughout the day today.
What is memory exactly?
Just a (sometimes intentional) thought recreating a scene.
What is the memory ‘made of’?
The same kind of internal vision or mind-stuff that our normal consciousness seems to be made of.
WHEN does the memory appear?
In the present moment, sort of in place of current external perception, or overlaid on top of it.
What is the exact difference between a ‘general’ thought and a ‘memory’ thought?
It depends for me on what the thought is about. I can have a conceptual/philosophical internal dialogue that doesn't have much visual content, and just feels like I'm talking to myself in present time. But there are many general thoughts that are indistinguishable from memory thoughts. And they often swap back and forth.
How is it known EXACTLY that a ‘memory’ thought refers to something that has happened?
If it wasn't something where I had a recording of the event, or the ability to ask other people who were involved or witnessed it, then there's no way to tell that what I think I remember ever actually happened. There is, however, an internal conviction and certainty which also has a sort of clenching physical sensation in the chest with it.
Then, look at a thought about the future.
What is the future thought ‘made of’?
Again, the same kind of mind-stuff as a memory or general thought.
WHEN does the future thought appear?
Still in this same present now moment.
What is the exact difference between a ‘general’ thought and a ‘future’ thought?
I think the vast majority of my thoughts are either about memories or the future, but flashed on the screen, I can't really say that there's a difference between the two types.
How is it known EXACTLY that a ‘future’ thought refers to something that will happen?
It's not really known. It's just a prediction based on past activity and possibility. The thought-form itself seems exactly the same. However, there can be some internal reactivity to it depending on what the future thought is about.
Then let’s compare a thought about past and a thought about the future.
What is the EXACT difference between the thoughts about past and future?
If there is difference and how is that difference is known exactly?
Well, for this I used the memory of the surgery I just had, and the thought of having to possibly have the identical surgery repeated in the future. Though both thoughts appear in the same place (on the mental screen), and at the same time in the current now, the physical and emotional reaction to both are very different. The future one is more amorphous, like it can change every time I picture the same event. And it has feelings of anxiety that accompany it. Whereas the memory thoughts of the surgery that happened are more positive and blissful, are seen from the same visual perspective every time, and are replayed relatively consistently each time I go back to them. Not as accurately as watching a video, but they are just consistent enough to create a subtle internal certainty of their reality that doesn't come with the future thoughts.

Thanks again for everything, and have a great night!
-Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:29 am

Good morning, Todd,

Okay, let's go through this. Let's help you learn to identify and confront lies & illusions. This may be uncomfortable.
(Let's just say I don't trust my senses.)
Your senses are Direct or Actual Experience - the only thing we do pay attention to - NOT THOUGHT CONTENT.

Colored Socks

There is a big difference between knowing that there is nothing to give up and seeing that there is nothing to give up.

Here is an example to illustrate the difference:

If I ask you what color socks you are wearing right now you have two ways to come up with an answer:

• You can think about it, you can think back to this morning and try to remember putting your socks on, and you can probably tell me what color you think they are.

• Alternatively, you can take a quick look at your socks and tell me what color they actually are!

Hopefully you would agree that you can only be 100% certain by looking.

For the purpose of seeing this "no self" idea, it is very important that you are clear about this difference.

Knowing is about knowledge which is all in the mind and we are not interested in that

We are only interested in looking at and seeing what is actually going on in your present moment-to-moment experience. We are only interested in your Direct Experience in the moment..

Direct or Actual Experience is

Seeing
Hearing
Feeling (Sensation, not emotion. Emotion is Sensation plus made-up thoughts & labels)
Tasting
Smelling
Thoughts Arising (but not their content)

I'm asking you to put aside rationalization & the content of thinking. I don't even need to read about it. It's all made up.
The lack of self seems totally plausible, both because upon actual "looking" investigation, I can't find one, but also because current neuroscience mostly agrees that the sense of self is just an illusion caused by the brain
Yes, I know. Stick with that.
Just a (sometimes intentional) thought recreating a scene.
We'll come back to the illusion of "intention. "
The same kind of internal vision or mind-stuff that our normal consciousness seems to be made of.
Okay, and what IS that? Merely more content of thought, made up stories.
In the present moment,
Yes, always & only.
It depends for me on what the thought is about. I can have a conceptual/philosophical internal dialogue that doesn't have much visual content, and just feels like I'm talking to myself in present time. But there are many general thoughts that are indistinguishable from memory thoughts. And they often swap back and forth.
Blah blah blah story story story
Can't you have both visual & verbal thoughts that are labeled "memory" and those that are "general?"
indistinguishable from memory thoughts
LOOK closer. Aren't they all the same, except for stories you have about them?

there's no way to tell that what I think I remember ever actually happened
This is true. (with or without recordings)
It's not really known
True. We don't care about the thinking about it.

The future one is more amorphous,

they [memory] are just consistent enough to create a subtle internal certainty of their reality that doesn't come with the future thoughts.
Is not memory also amorphous? We already know you'll get 14 different "memories" from 14 eye witnesses to an accident.

THIS is very important:
an internal conviction and certainty which also has a sort of clenching physical sensation in the chest with it.
You have this completely backwards! No wonder you're confused! So very glad you mentioned this!

First, can you remember a time when you lied to someone you loved?

Here we count anything, lies we think of as "big" or "small" that "matter" or don't "matter."

How are you? I'm fine. No, your knee hurts, but you don't feel like discussing it with the grocery clerk.

It's a lie. A seemingly "bigger" one will work better for this exercise.

Find the lie. I don't need the whole story, just a few key words to refer to it.

Then scan your body for any Sensation (DE), particularly in the gut or maybe the heart. Check very closely. What is found?

You can do this.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:55 am

Re-reading I find we have talked about the lie feeling several times.

That clenching that you are misinterpreting as "certainty" above? That's the Lie Feeling! The complete opposite!

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:05 am

Hi Stacy,
Thanks for your patience! Unfortunately I think you’re going to need a little more for this… I have rewritten and trimmed out much of it for the sake of brevity, but I think I’ve uncovered some of my sticking points, and I’m hoping you can shed some light on them.

It's been an interesting day.

I read your last posts and then went out for a little walk (the knee is getting better day by day!) and contemplated it all. I was dictating some thoughts into my phone when I had a little bit of a satori moment.

I'll try to keep it all as brief as possible. The takeaway was that the reason why I was having such a reaction against the idea of there not being a future is because both sides of the argument, that there is a future or that there isn't, are both just thoughts and concepts. Both are unverifiable belief systems.

I'm on board with the idea that if you look at the present moment, it certainly feels like it never changes and it goes on forever. However, extrapolating that feeling into the certainty that a future doesn't actually exist, makes it into just another conceptual thought. It's the old Zen/Buddhist/Taoist admonition to not create any distinctions or take sides in either direction.

So when it occurred to me that we were doing the same thing here, I just dropped all the concepts, and I had that sudden sense of lightness and relaxation, spaciousness, and a presence of mind where (though it's a bit stereotypical) there was just the wind blowing the leaves on a tree. I walked for a while and just heard and enjoyed the sounds of a garbage truck, the sights and sounds of nature, and was quite present and open.

A little later I dictated into my phone while it was still fresh (again, the Zen poetry format wasn't in any way intentional. It was just how the words came out): "Future and no-future are still both the trap. There is just the rustling of leaves. And it's true that even the leaves aren't really rustling, but the more we try to describe them, the more it's lost."
And:
"Future or no-future are both belief systems, and if I put both aside, then all that's left is free open awareness."
Your senses are Direct or Actual Experience - the only thing we do pay attention to - NOT THOUGHT CONTENT.
Hopefully you would agree that you can only be 100% certain by looking.
For the purpose of seeing this "no self" idea, it is very important that you are clear about this difference.
Knowing is about knowledge which is all in the mind and we are not interested in that
We are only interested in looking at and seeing what is actually going on in your present moment-to-moment experience. We are only interested in your Direct Experience in the moment..
In short, where I keep running into issues is that we seem to be crossing the line between subjective perception and statements about Absolute Reality. Where does the conviction come from that what we experience is trustworthy? I agree that looking at something in the present moment is the only way to know, as best we can, what's real and what isn't on a relative level. But the problem is that we know our brains are susceptible to all kinds of illusions and fallacies. So I do feel like, for me, any belief rooted in perception, at least insofar as it’s supposed to be taken as a hallmark of Absolute Truth and Reality, is an insurmountable obstacle.

I’m not saying that we should rely on thought either. But I guess this points to why I’m unable to believe or trust anything at all, regardless of my direct experience or perceptions. I can tell you what I experience, but I'm not comfortable extrapolating it out into assertions that that's how the universe actually works.
You have this completely backwards! No wonder you're confused! So very glad you mentioned this!
First, can you remember a time when you lied to someone you loved?
Then scan your body for any Sensation (DE), particularly in the gut or maybe the heart. Check very closely. What is found?
When I wrote this I was mindful of your idea that when we feel a sense of contraction that that’s supposed to be an indication of a lie, but in this case, there seems to be a paradoxical reaction that sometimes happens. Like for instance, if I was wearing a pair of blue socks, and I could see them, and knew that they were blue, and somebody was standing in front of me vehemently arguing that they were in fact red, I would get a tight clenching frustrated feeling because I have certainty that the socks that I am wearing are blue, and I'm being challenged on something that I have no doubt about. Does that mean I’m lying to myself? (I know from a physics standpoint that “blue socks” aren't actually blue, but that's a thought and not a direct perception.)

Previously I would say that it happens any time that it's reinforcing the sense of ego or self. In this case defending my perception over the other person's. Which you would say is also based on a lie. But it's weird that that kind of clenched certainty arises with memory, but doesn't seem to happen with future projections. I assume it's probably because I know that the future hasn't and won't happen exactly the way I envision it. But I can be reasonably sure that things did happen, at least in vaguely similar ways, to what I remember. I know we recreate our memories every time we review them, and that they are just as fallible as the rest of our perceptions, but they're at least a dubious reflection of actual events that have happened rather than future thoughts which are completely imaginary.

In your case, when you saw all of this for certain, was it like a light switch just went off and it all seemed permanently apparent and obvious? Is there a way of experiencing and knowing it that doesn't equate to, or result in, a form of belief? I ask because I have been utterly convinced of many things in the past that later turned out not to be true, and so I am on guard against falling into the same traps repeatedly.

And after this morning’s realization about the pitfalls of accepting any conceptual viewpoint, I’m simultaneously more wary of accepting any ideas, no matter how convincing, and also more open and prone to just silently observe and not believe or label anything. (Contrary to what the wordiness of this post would seem to indicate.) ;-)

Thanks again for your patience on this!
-Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:45 pm

Hi Todd,

Thinking will NOT bring awakening.

LOOKING will.
In your case, when you saw all of this for certain, was it like a light switch just went off and it all seemed permanently apparent and obvious? Is there a way of experiencing and knowing it that doesn't equate to, or result in, a form of belief?
Yes & Yes.

Read this, please:

https://www.liberationunleashed.com/res ... ar-seeker/

The sooner you LOOK & relax, the sooner you will see. 50% never do. They stay mired in the mud of thinking & never let go, so they quit. Keep looking & you will see.

It's right in front of you.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:45 pm

A couple more notes.
"Future and no-future are still both the trap. There is just the rustling of leaves. And it's true that even the leaves aren't really rustling, but the more we try to describe them, the more it's lost."
And:
"Future or no-future are both belief systems, and if I put both aside, then all that's left is free open awareness."
True. FEEL this in your body. Say it out loud. What happens? Contraction or expansion?

Read "Gateless Gatecrashers," which you can download from Resources, Books on the home page. Also, if you want more, read "Liberation Unleashed," from Amazon. These will give you many vicarious experiences of what happens when you SEE (and don't think).

Note: I have never - and will never - ask you to believe anything. I only ask you to LOOK for yourself.

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Return to “THE GATE”