Looking for Taran

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
EmoryBlythe

Looking for Taran

Postby EmoryBlythe » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:45 pm

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
That we are brought up under the illusion that we are all different and separate with our own soul. So far in my buddhist practise I understand that this is an illusion. The way I picture it in my head is that we are all part of the same thing, something bigger than ourselves. There is no I only we, we are all connected, and not separate.

What are you looking for at LU? I want to put into practise the idea of no self.
I essentially want to be free from the cycle of samsara. I want to reflect deeply on this principle and really feel as if I am no longer just me, but instead, part of all beings. I am ready to start the process of unbinding myself from illusions

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
I hope that my guide can give me pointers to really help me go deeper in my practise. I feel I can enagage a lot more with a guide rather than trying to break through the fetters by myself through reading. I am hoping being guided will give me something to think about each day and help me if I get stuck or intepret things incorrectly.
What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry? I dont have any experience with the 10 fetters yet. I consider myself buddhist and have been for 4 years now. I go to events at my local sangha and also retreats a few times a year

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self?

Taran

Re: Looking for Taran

Postby Taran » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi there Emory.
Just a quick post, so everyone knows I’ve seen this.
I will respond properly tonight.
Happy to help you.

Taran x
Love says "I am everything." Wisdom says "I am nothing." Between the two, my life flows. (Nisargadatta)

Taran

Postby Taran » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 pm

Dear Emory
Thank you for you initial introduction, I have a few housekeeping points for you, before we get into exercises.

I am happy to assist you in exploring the idea of the separate self.... This is an experiential based guiding and is not a discussion or a debate. Realising that the seeming independent finite separate self is illusory is not an intellectual understanding although it may be formulated in intellectual terms. Rather it is an experiential knowingness that is intimately your own and cannot be shaken or taken away.

At LU we are described as guides and not teachers as our role is to directly point to what IS, through the use of exercises, questions and some dialogue.

Your role is to LOOK carefully to what is being pointed at. It is this simple LOOKING (not thinking) that brings about the realisation that there is no separate self and never has been and with this realisation a shift in perception happens.

You can’t just sit and ponder what we are exploring, you must apply the ideas to your life; see them in action…actually do the work (practical application) every day, day in and day out.

Here are links to information I would like you to read before we begin.

Disclaimer:- http://liberationunleashed.com/disclaimer-2/
Terms & Conditions:- https://www.liberationunleashed.com/register/terms/
“Liberation Unleashed is not …” in the FAQ’s of LU. http://liberationunleashed.com/about/faq/#faq-1041

Please learn to use the quote function. When replying to a question, please use the quote function to highlight the question being answered. Instructions are located here :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fAToDNh9hQ&app=desktop

Please confirm that you have read the disclaimer and the other links and we can then begin the exploration.

Also please answer these ...In order that we both become aware of what your expectations are about this exploration, please answer the following in your own words.

Anything I ask in blue, I will always want specific answers too.

How will life change?
How will you change?
What will be different?
What is missing ? in other words what is not present in your experience right now, so that you don't experience peace, freedom, wholeness, purpose?

Taran x
Love says "I am everything." Wisdom says "I am nothing." Between the two, my life flows. (Nisargadatta)

EmoryBlythe

Postby EmoryBlythe » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:43 pm

How will life change
?
I have no idea how my life will change after this, I feel I will only know when I am at the point of change. I can only speculate, perhaps I will subsequently live a simplier life with fewer attachements to the object world

How will you change?
I will becoming more aware of my felt senses and thoughts and be able to see their is no self

What will be different?
I will naturally tune into my senses and take a step back to observe my thoughts more by making it a habit through practicing pointing my mind in that direction

What is missing ? in other words what is not present in your experience right now, so that you don't experience peace, freedom, wholeness, purpose?
At this point in time I can philosophise that there is no self but I cannot fully comprehend it. I would like to be able to see and feel that there really is no 'I'. I am currently under an illusion that there is something that makes me me. I want to breakthrough this.

EmoryBlythe

Postby EmoryBlythe » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:54 pm

Please confirm that you have read the disclaimer and the other links and we can then begin the exploration.
Thank you, I look forwared to starting and I confirm.

Emory x

Taran

Postby Taran » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:04 pm

Hi Emory

Thanks for your reply. Very pleased to be working with you :) I appreciate your reading the links, including the disclaimer; and learning how (or attempting!) to use the quote function.

Just so that we are clear, to have the realisation that there is no separate self, you must be 100% committed to seeing it. It can’t be a nice idea, an intellectual curiosity. You have got to pursue this as if you have no other choice.

Thank you for your other answers, I have had a quick read and they seem like reasonable expectations.

Some additional housekeeping guidelines:-

1. Unless exercises given need several days to be accomplished; please try to post daily, at least every second day. This needs consistency.If you need more time, or are unable to post for several days, just write a quick post on your thread to let me know. (I will try to do the same.)

2. Please answer what's true for you once you have looked to see what is being pointed at, rather than any sort of 'ideal' answer. Ideal answers may sound good but will be of no benefit to you in having you realise that there is no separate self. There is no one judging answers given, so please be 100% honest in your answers and inquiry.

3. This exploration is based on direct experience (DE) - smell, taste, sound, sensation, colour and observed thoughts.

Long-winded analytical and philosophical answers are best avoided and may even hinder progress. This is not a self-improvement process. There is no ‘self’ to improve.

4. Put aside all other teachings, philosophies, rituals, practices, books/reading and so on for the remainder of this investigation. Really put all your effort and attention in to seeing this reality, as it is. If you have a daily meditation practice, it is fine to continue that but is not necessary for this exploration. Be here with an open and curious mind.

Technology is not perfect and sometimes there is a glitch which can wipe out your responses. It is advisable that you copy and paste questions asked into Word, answer them there and then copy and paste them to your thread. Always save a copy of what you have done in Word - it will save you time in the long run!

Throughout this exploration I would like you to answer ALL questions that I have written in blue text.
Please answer questions individually, remembering to use the quote function to highlight the question being answered where possible.

I will try to reply daily too and will PM if not possible.

Does this all sound ok?

Taran x

EmoryBlythe

Postby EmoryBlythe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:21 pm

Hi Taran
Does this all sound ok?
Yes this sounds okay. Thank you for giving your time :) Im a bit worried ill get it wrong and accidentally be philosophial but I will really try not to.

Did I do the quotes properly?

Best,

Emory

EmoryBlythe

Postby EmoryBlythe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi Taran
Does this all sound ok?
Yes this sounds okay. Thank you for giving your time :) Im a bit worried ill get it wrong and accidentally be philosophial but I will really try not to.

Did I do the quotes properly?

Best,
Emory

Taran

Postby Taran » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:18 pm

Hi Emory

Super... one of the quote attempts worked better than the other, but it will get easier.

So down to the process... there is a big difference between knowing/feeling something conceptually or based upon past experience, compared to living that experience now....

e.g. If I ask you what colour socks you are wearing right now you have two ways to come up with an answer:

• You can have a think about it, you can think back to this morning and try to remember putting your socks on, and you can probably tell me what colour you think they are.
• Alternatively, you can take a quick look at your socks and tell me what colour they actually are!

Hopefully you would agree that you can only be 100% certain by looking.

For the purpose of our dialogue together, it is going to be very important that you are clear about this difference. Knowing is about knowledge which is all in the mind and we are not interested in that. We are only interested in looking at and seeing what is actually going on in your present moment to moment experience. We are only interested in your direct experience in the moment.

Please let me know if you are clear about this or if you would like any further clarification.

Taran x

EmoryBlythe

Postby EmoryBlythe » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Hi Taran

I feel clear about this.

Thank you

Emory x

Taran

Postby Taran » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Hi Emory

That’s great, thanks for your patience in wading through all of this.

Here is an exercise which points out the difference between actual experience and content of thought.

There are two types of thoughts:
(1) Thoughts with words “Here is cup”
(2) Visual mental images of a ‘cup’ So I invite you to do this exercise:

Think of a cup. ( don’t get a real one- that confuses things!)
Get a very clear picture in your mind.
See clearly the size, shape, colour and volume of the imagined cup.
Notice whether it is decorated or plain.
Notice whether it has a handle.
Notice whether it is heavy or fragile.
Get a clear picture in mind.....

Now, can you physically grasp that image of a cup?
Can you pour tea into it?
Can you drink from it?
Is there a ‘real’ cup or just an image of a cup?
Is there an appearing mental image?
Is the content of the mental image (the cup) ‘real’?

The thoughts and mental images are real (direct experience) only as arising thoughts and mental images, their ‘presence’ cannot be denied.

However their contents, what are they about (e.g. the cup) are not ‘real’, they are just fantasies. In other words, the picture/idea that thought is ‘painting’ is the content of thought and is fictional.

Can you see this?

I'd like you to notice the content of thoughts today and tomorrow . Whenever there is an arising thought or mental image, check whether its content (what it’s about) is REALLY happening, or the content is just pure imagination.

Please answer ALL questions. And let me know how it goes.

Taran x

EmoryBlythe

Postby EmoryBlythe » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:22 pm

Now, can you physically grasp that image of a cup?
I cannot physicaly grasp what is in my mind but I can imagine what grasping the cup may feel like. However I am not having a physical experience of grasping the cup.
Can you pour tea into it?
Similar to above I can imagine pouring tea into the cup but I cannot do anything physically with the cup
Can you drink from it?
Similar to above I can imagine what it may feel like to drink from the cup but I cannot physically drink from a mental image. I can only mentally drink from a mental image
Is there a ‘real’ cup or just an image of a cup?
The cup is not real, it is not physical. It is only a mental image/ idea of what I think a cup is.
Is there an appearing mental image?
Yes
Is the content of the mental image (the cup) ‘real’?
No, I have conjured up the image in my mind, therefore it is not 'real'

Can you see this?
Yes

Taran

Postby Taran » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi Emory

Fantastic, well seen.

I would like you to sit somewhere quiet and become aware of sounds. Close your eyes and just listen to the sounds for a few minutes. Really hear them.

Tell me ONE sound that you heard when doing this?

(And make sure that the sound is something you will hear again, for the next phase of this exercise.)

Taran x

Taran

Postby Taran » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:38 am

Hi Emory

Did you see the last post?

Taran x

EmoryBlythe

Postby EmoryBlythe » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:36 am

Hi Taran,

No sorry I didnt see the last post.
Tell me ONE sound that you heard when doing this?
I can hear cars on the road outside my window.

Best,

Emory

Return to “THE GATE”