Breaking the Addiction to a Separate Self

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
forgetmenot

Re: Breaking the Addiction to a Separate Self

Postby forgetmenot » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:51 pm

Hey Lee,
This was a good exercise. I did enjoy the soccer game, watched it a couple of times. Thank you.
It is such a pleasure to see the pleasure you get from doing the exercises!
Can anything ever be hidden and unknown?
No, only stories and fantasy are 'hidden' or 'unknown'. Stories and fantasy are unreal. Only AE is real, not the commentary.
If thought says that you saw a spectacular sunrise yesterday…is that sunrise experience as you presently find it? No…so it is just thought story ie ‘imagination’. If however, the colours labelled ‘spectacular sunrise’ is experience as you presently find it (ie now), then thought is pointing to actual experience as you presently find it. That is, that the colour thoughts refer to a 'sunrise' are what are actually appearing now. Thought either points to actual experience as you presently find it...or it is pointing to thoughts about actual experience which is not the current experience which then equates to just story...thought fluff/imagination.
Let me know what you notice when you turn the sound on and off, and without thought, what is actually appearing/happening etc?
Only sound is absent, AE of seeing remains.
Did you notice how the muted video left you rather neutral towards the apparent happenings on screen, while the commentary version of the game kind of sucked you into the story that the commentator was telling and brought up different ‘emotions’? And did you also notice that muted watching was more about the current action whilst the commentator was mostly referring to what just happened? So this is how it goes with the story about a character called ‘Lee’!
And in the same way: Is the inner narration of thought a necessity for the play of life to happen?
Absolutely NOT!!! haha. Life without commentary - how beautiful. Commentary can go on, but being free from the 'my', or 'should'. blahblahblah!!! Hahahahaha
Pronouns will still appear, but when looking at those labels it is simply seen they are AE of thought. “Should”, “must”, “have to” will still appear, but it is to just simply observe what happens. Just like the soccer game, life if simply lifing, there is no one controlling how life happens or what the next happening will be no matter what the commentator (thought) is saying.

Which brings us to the idea of control.

1. Hold a hand in front of you; palm turned down.
2. Now turn the palm up. And down...and up and so on.

Watch like a hawk.

Don't go to thoughts, examine the actual experience. Do this as many times as you like, and each time inquire…

How is the movement controlled?
Does a thought control it?
Can a ‘controller’ of any description be located?
How is the decision made to turn the hand over? Track any decision point when a thought MADE THE DECISION to turn the hand over and the hand turns over immediately.
Can you find a separate individual or anything that is choosing when to turn the palm up or down?

With love, Kay
Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists.

Lee0101

Postby Lee0101 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:01 am

Hi Kay,

One really cool thing happened earlier. The feeling of getting annoyed came up earlier. When that feeling came up, the thought: "This is just commentary, not AE" , rose up as fast as the annoyed feeling, and completely neutralized it. It was very cool to watch that, but there was absolutely no doer or thinker of that thought, just happened.
Did you notice how the muted video left you rather neutral towards the apparent happenings on screen, while the commentary version of the game kind of sucked you into the story that the commentator was telling and brought up different ‘emotions’? And did you also notice that muted watching was more about the current action whilst the commentator was mostly referring to what just happened? So this is how it goes with the story about a character called ‘Lee’!
Yes, I did notice that. When the audio was off, there was not much involvement, but when the audio was on, it did draw me into the story. Yes, I am definitely seeing that the activity is now, and the commentary about it is the past; even if it is seconds later, it's still the past and does not exist.
Pronouns will still appear, but when looking at those labels it is simply seen they are AE of thought. “Should”, “must”, “have to” will still appear, but it is to just simply observe what happens. Just like the soccer game, life if simply lifing, there is no one controlling how life happens or what the next happening will be no matter what the commentator (thought) is saying.
Yes, agreed. The only changes that have occurred after seeing that the commentary and story are just thoughts, is that they are there, but do not belong to a 'I', 'me' or 'mine'. You said in an earlier post (paraphrasing) that "the mind or thought does not have to be stilled to be the knowing." Yes, it is all involved and included in knowing, is-ness or Being. It feels so much better to embrace everything, but know it is "life just lifing" and not 'mine'.
Which brings us to the idea of control.

1. Hold a hand in front of you; palm turned down.
2. Now turn the palm up. And down...and up and so on.

Watch like a hawk.

Don't go to thoughts, examine the actual experience. Do this as many times as you like, and each time inquire…
How is the movement controlled?
I don't know. It feels good to not know.
Does a thought control it?
No, not that can be noticed.
Can a ‘controller’ of any description be located?
No.
How is the decision made to turn the hand over? Track any decision point when a thought MADE THE DECISION to turn the hand over and the hand turns over immediately.
I don't know. There is not a decider or 'someone' who made the decision, it just happened.
Can you find a separate individual or anything that is choosing when to turn the palm up or down?
Absolutely not. haha. THIS IS AWESOME!

Love,

Lee

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:13 am

Hey Lee,
One really cool thing happened earlier. The feeling of getting annoyed came up earlier. When that feeling came up, the thought: "This is just commentary, not AE" , rose up as fast as the annoyed feeling, and completely neutralized it. It was very cool to watch that, but there was absolutely no doer or thinker of that thought, just happened.
Lovely! And isn’t nice when the ‘looking’ happens on its own – no efforting required!
Not that any efforting was done in the first place, but it seems like it when you first start.
Absolutely not. haha. THIS IS AWESOME!
Yes…it just simply happens. Thought says that thought is the catalyst that turns the palm…until you look carefully to see that this is not the case.

So, let’s have a look at the idea of choice and decision making

The aim of the following exercise is to discover whether the function of choice can really be found or confirmed in actual experience. The idea of making ‘choices‘ is a very clear example of a function that we wrongly identify as the basis of our identity.

Here's what’s needed - A chair, a table and two different drinks. Any two drinks you like are okay for this: coffee, tea, milk, water, juices, smoothies, beer, wine, etc.

Preparation - Place the two drinks side by side on the table in front of you, sit comfortably on the chair and mentally label them as drink A and drink B.

Experiment - Finding the function of choice

Sit for a few moments, take a few relaxed breaths and let the dust settle. When you feel ready:

1. Look at drink A and at drink B. Think about their respective qualities, the things you like about them, compare and weigh the pros and cons of each. See if a preference is manifesting for one or the other.
2. Count to 5.
3. Choose one of the drinks. Pick it up and take a sip.

Questions:
Remember that we’re looking for some kind of function, a something, an ‘I’ which is doing the ‘choosing’.

In step 1 when thinking about their respective qualities, did you ‘choose’ the qualities? Or did they kind of appear by themselves? If some preferences manifested, did you ‘choose’ these preferences? Or did they just pop up by themselves?

In step 2 when you counted to 5, if the preferences took the back seat while the numbers took the front seat, did you ‘choose’ this sequence of event? Did you ‘choose’ to shut down the preferences to give way to the counting? Did you directly experience a mental function or faculty doing the ‘choosing’? Have you seen this function in action?

In step 3 where you made a choice, did you actually witness or directly experience a mental function or faculty doing the ‘choosing’? Did anything arise that announced, ‘I am the chooser’? If so, what does this function look like?

Sometimes we describe this sense of choosing as a ‘feeling’: It feels like ‘I’ did the ‘choosing’. But the question is, can a feeling ‘choose’? Is it in the nature of a feeling to ‘choose’?

With love, Kay

Lee0101

Postby Lee0101 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi Kay,

I
n step 1 when thinking about their respective qualities, did you ‘choose’ the qualities? Or did they kind of appear by themselves? If some preferences manifested, did you ‘choose’ these preferences? Or did they just pop up by themselves?
No, there was no chooser of qualities or preferences, they just appeared.
In step 2 when you counted to 5, if the preferences took the back seat while the numbers took the front seat, did you ‘choose’ this sequence of event? Did you ‘choose’ to shut down the preferences to give way to the counting? Did you directly experience a mental function or faculty doing the ‘choosing’? Have you seen this function in action?
No, tasks just happened. No particular faculty doing anything.
In step 3 where you made a choice, did you actually witness or directly experience a mental function or faculty doing the ‘choosing’? Did anything arise that announced, ‘I am the chooser’? If so, what does this function look like?
No, just picking up the glass happened. No 'chooser' at all.
Sometimes we describe this sense of choosing as a ‘feeling’: It feels like ‘I’ did the ‘choosing’. But the question is, can a feeling ‘choose’? Is it in the nature of a feeling to ‘choose’?
Haha, no a feeling can't choose. The idea of 'I chose' is like saying the carpet or table chose. There was awareness of preference, but no 'chooser'. No, it is not in the nature of a feeling to choose.

Thank you,

Lee

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:57 pm

Hey Lee,
Haha, no a feeling can't choose. The idea of 'I chose' is like saying the carpet or table chose. There was awareness of preference, but no 'chooser'. No, it is not in the nature of a feeling to choose.
LOL…yes!

Choices appear, but is there a someone who is actually deciding which to choose?
Here is an interesting video clip about decisions.

https://vimeo.com/90101368

Although it is seen that there is no controller/chooser/decider, it can still feel as if there is a ‘doer’. We’ll do a little exercise on this topic. It has to do with the sense of seeing.

Take a few relaxed breaths to let the dust settle for a while, and then:
Look on your right.
Then look on your left.
Finally, bring your head back to centre, close your eyes and look in front.

Okay, so when you look on the right, the view on the right is seen (whatever that is).
When you look on the left, the view on the left is seen (whatever that is).
And then, when you look in front of you with eyes closed, the view in front is seen (ie ‘blackness’).

So, when the view on the right is seen, do you have the ‘choice’ not to see? I’m not asking can you ‘choose’ to see something else like another view or ‘black space’ if you close your eyes. The question is, can you turn seeing off? Can you NOT see what is seen?

Same thing with the view on the left, can you NOT see the view on the left?

Same thing with the view in front with closed eyes, can you NOT see the ‘blackness’?

Can you turn off seeing?

What did the 'chooser' choose? Did a 'self' choose something?

If you can't choose what you're aware of, then what else is there to choose?

Can a ‘doer’ be found?

With love, Kay

Lee0101

Postby Lee0101 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:07 am

Hi Kay,

Thank you for sharing the video. I have heard about that experiment, but had not seen it before. There is such a freeing feeling to be relieved of the 'seeming' duty of 'doer'. Again, great exercise!
So, when the view on the right is seen, do you have the ‘choice’ not to see? I’m not asking can you ‘choose’ to see something else like another view or ‘black space’ if you close your eyes. The question is, can you turn seeing off? Can you NOT see what is seen?
No, no choice. There was no control over seeing. Seeing was happening no matter what.
Same thing with the view on the left, can you NOT see the view on the left?
No, there is no way to NOT see.
Can you turn off seeing?
No.
What did the 'chooser' choose? Did a 'self' choose something?
Nothing was chosen, nor by a non-existent 'self'. Chooser and self are not admissible in this court. haha
If you can't choose what you're aware of, then what else is there to choose?
Nothing at all. Yes.
Can a ‘doer’ be found?
No, I even looked under my desk. No doer found here. What a fun exercise.

Thank you very much. Every exercise gives more and more clarity. I used blah blah blah a few times today. Stopped the chatter and got a great laugh to myself.

Love,

Lee

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:17 am

Hey Lee,
Thank you very much. Every exercise gives more and more clarity. I used blah blah blah a few times today. Stopped the chatter and got a great laugh to myself.
Great stuff! :)

Are there any questions about anything we have looked at so far?

Okay, so let’s have a look at the body.

Sit with eyes closed for about 15 minutes.
Paying attention only to the pure sensations, without relying on thoughts or mental images:

Can it be known how tall the body is?
Does the body have a weight or volume?
In the actual experience does the body have a shape or a form?

Is there a boundary between the body and the clothing?
Is there a boundary between the body and the chair?

Is there an inside or an outside? If there is an inside - inside of what exactly?
If there is an outside, the outside of what exactly?

What does the word/label ‘body’ ACTUALLY refer to?
What is the ACTUAL experience of the body?

Look very carefully, especially with the last question. Take your time, don’t rush. You can look several times during the day while doing other things (like washing hands, showering, having a short break from work, walking, etc.) before replying.

With love, Kay

Lee0101

Postby Lee0101 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:57 am

Hi Kay,
Are there any questions about anything we have looked at so far?
No, no questions about what we have looked at. All of the questions and exercises have been great. Over the years, I have read Q&A between two people, but it is completely different when the questions are directed at you. Your guiding has given direct experience, and a clarity that is on a whole different level (no actual levels). :)
Sit with eyes closed for about 15 minutes.
Paying attention only to the pure sensations, without relying on thoughts or mental images:

Can it be known how tall the body is?
No, it is just AE with not particular shape. Only sensation.
Does the body have a weight or volume?
No
In the actual experience does the body have a shape or a form?
No, only sensation.
Is there a boundary between the body and the clothing?
No
Is there a boundary between the body and the chair?
No, only AE - sensation. Very cool.
Is there an inside or an outside? If there is an inside - inside of what exactly?
No. This looking takes away all boundaries. There is only one thing or allness. Just 360 degree AE. Difficult to put into words. No in or out. Where is the boundary?
If there is an outside, the outside of what exactly?
No, there is no inside or outside of AE. Just is...
Only activity, no particular thing. It is like trying to point out exactly the defining element of what city is when you refer to a city.
Only sensation.

Thank you,

Lee

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:45 pm

Hey Lee,
No. This looking takes away all boundaries. There is only one thing or allness. Just 360 degree AE. Difficult to put into words. No in or out. Where is the boundary?
Yep! No inside or outside puts the kibosh on the idea of space as well!
Only activity, no particular thing. It is like trying to point out exactly the defining element of what city is when you refer to a city.
Was a body found, and if not...then what activity exactly? We will look at this more indepth in exercise below.

The WORD/LABEL ‘body’ is the AE of thought and not the AE of a body. So the word/label ‘body’ actually refers to thought.
Only sensation.
The actual experience of the body is thought. Thought points to sensation and labels it ‘body’.
Can you see this? Just like thought points to the colour 'red' and calls it an 'apple'.

Here is an even deeper investigation of the body. Please follow each step, don't leave out any. Take your time. Don't move to the next step until the previous one is clearly seen. Repeat the exercise several times.

Stand in front of a bigger mirror.

(1) First, close the eyes and feel the sensations labelled ‘body’.

(2) Then open the eyes and look into the mirror while still paying attention to the sensations.

Is there any connection between the felt sensations and the image in the mirror?
Or just thoughts (and/or mental images) suggest that there is?

(3) While still paying attention to the sensations move one hand and observe the movement from the mirror.

Is there any connection between the felt sensations (labelled ‘hand’) and image of movement in the mirror?

(4) Now do the same movement with the hand, but this time look at the hand directly, not from the mirror.

Is there any connection between the felt sensations (labelled ‘hand’) and the image ‘of movement’?
Or only thoughts suggest it?

(5) Now, pay attention only to the image in the mirror.

Does the image by itself suggest in any way that is ‘you’ or ‘your body’?
Does the image itself suggest in any way that it is a ‘body’ at all?
Or are there only colours and shapes?

(6) Where the mirror ends, some parts of the body (probably legs) cannot be seen.

Just by the image in the mirror, is there any ‘knowledge’ that there must be legs, or only thoughts and mental images suggest so?

(7) Now turn away from the mirror and look forward (don’t look directly to any body parts).

Is there a ‘body’ anywhere when all thoughts and images are ignored, or are there only sensations?

(8) Start to walk slowly.

Is there a ‘body walking’, or are there only sensations?
Is there actual experience of ‘walking’ at all?
Or just THOUGHTS ABOUT ‘walking’?
Can such a thing as ‘body’ be found OR just THOUGHTS ABOUT a ‘body’?
Can such a thing as ‘walking’ be found?

(9) Are the sensations localized in space, like ‘going through the room’; OR is there only an image that is labelled ‘room’ and appearing sensations without any location?

Love, Kay

Lee0101

Postby Lee0101 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi Kay,
Only sensation.
The actual experience of the body is thought. Thought points to sensation and labels it ‘body’.
Can you see this? Just like thought points to the colour 'red' and calls it an 'apple'.
This is very subtle. Yes, I can see it. In the prior exercise, I was not thinking about the body, only sensations felt as body. But, the 'as body' is thought.

I will work on the other exercise and report back.

Thank you,

Lee

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:09 am

Morning Lee!

I look forward to your responses to the other questions about the 'body'.
This is very subtle. Yes, I can see it. In the prior exercise, I was not thinking about the body, only sensations felt as body. But, the 'as body' is thought.
Yes, it is very subtle! It is always good to break everything down into AE to see what is known and what is not known.

The label 'body' is known
Sensation LABELLED as 'body' is known
Colour LABELLED as 'body' is known
Thought about the 'body' are known
However, is a 'body' actually known?

With love, Kay

Lee0101

Postby Lee0101 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi Kay,

Again, this was a great exercise. There has been so much habit and conditioning to accept the thought of 'body' as 'me'.
No, only the thought or label 'body' is known. Sensations without labels are there.

I
s there any connection between the felt sensations and the image in the mirror?
Or just thoughts (and/or mental images) suggest that there is?
No connection. The image is not necessary. Only thoughts of a connection.
Is there any connection between the felt sensations (labelled ‘hand’) and image of movement in the mirror?
No
Is there any connection between the felt sensations (labelled ‘hand’) and the image ‘of movement’?
Or only thoughts suggest it?
No, only thoughts suggesting it.
No, the image does not suggest that it is 'me' or 'my body'. No, the image is just an image without 'body'. Thinking makes it 'body'. Only colors and shapes. Wow, it is great to type this.

J
Just by the image in the mirror, is there any ‘knowledge’ that there must be legs, or only thoughts and mental images suggest so?
No, no knowledge that there must be legs, only thoughts and mental images. Sensation is there.
Is there a ‘body’ anywhere when all thoughts and images are ignored, or are there only sensations?
Only sensations!
Is there a ‘body walking’, or are there only sensations?
Is there actual experience of ‘walking’ at all?
Or just THOUGHTS ABOUT ‘walking’?
No body, only sensations.
No AE of walking, only thoughts about walking.
Can such a thing as ‘body’ be found OR just THOUGHTS ABOUT a ‘body’?
Can such a thing as ‘walking’ be found?
No, 'body' cannot be found, only thoughts about 'body'.
No, walking cannot be found, only the thought walking can be found. AE of thought is 'body' and 'walking'. AE is sensation.
(9) Are the sensations localized in space, like ‘going through the room’; OR is there only an image that is labelled ‘room’ and appearing sensations without any location?
No, sensations are not actually localized, images with labels are the only 'localized space'.

This exercise is great. The truth is that we actually know nothing. LOL

Love,

Lee

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:32 am

Hey Lee,
No, only the thought or label 'body' is known. Sensations without labels are there.
Label/thoughts, smell, taste, colour/image, sensation and sound labelled as the ‘body’ are known, however the body is not known.

Thought points to the smell labelled ‘sweat’, for example, and further says that it is the ‘body’, so the smell LABELLED as body is known…but body is not known.
Is this clear?

No
Just to really see this – how the illusion of the body is ‘created’…try this exercise.

Normally we believe that sensation is coming from sight - the object seen. In this example, the object being the ‘hand’.

1. Close the eyes and hold up one hand. Pay attention only to the felt sensation ‘of the hand’.
2. Open the eyes, and now observe the hand by looking only.
3. While looking at the hand, pay attention to the felt sensations.

Repeat 1 to 3 as many times as needed and investigate…

What did you find?
No, the image does not suggest that it is 'me' or 'my body'. No, the image is just an image without 'body'. Thinking makes it 'body'. Only colors and shapes. Wow, it is great to type this.
Yes, so the image labelled ‘body’ is AE of colour and not AE of a body.
No, no knowledge that there must be legs, only thoughts and mental images. Sensation is there.
Yes, sensation is there. Did a mental image of legs also appear? Did you notice how thought points to the sensation and says that the sensation belongs to ‘legs’.

Only sensations!
Yes, so when we did the first body exercise and the question was…what is the AE of the body. It is thought. Sensations are not the AE of a body, they are the AE of sensations. The label and thoughts about a body are AE of thought and not AE of sensation.
Is this clear?

This exercise is great. The truth is that we actually know nothing. LOL
Yes, exactly! Never just believe what thought says...always check it with actual experience.

Love, Kay

Lee0101

Postby Lee0101 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:38 am

Hi Kay,
Thought points to the smell labelled ‘sweat’, for example, and further says that it is the ‘body’, so the smell LABELLED as body is known…but body is not known.
Is this clear?
Yes, the sensations and thoughts that point to or are called 'body' are known, but the so-called entity of 'body' is not know. There is not body.
Just to really see this – how the illusion of the body is ‘created’…try this exercise.

Normally we believe that sensation is coming from sight - the object seen. In this example, the object being the ‘hand’.

1. Close the eyes and hold up one hand. Pay attention only to the felt sensation ‘of the hand’.

What did you find?
The sensations of the hand did not change if eyes were opened or closed.
Yes, sensation is there. Did a mental image of legs also appear? Did you notice how thought points to the sensation and says that the sensation belongs to ‘legs’.
Yes, there was a mental image of legs or the thoughts that the sensations belonged to legs or feet.
Yes, so when we did the first body exercise and the question was…what is the AE of the body. It is thought. Sensations are not the AE of a body, they are the AE of sensations. The label and thoughts about a body are AE of thought and not AE of sensation.
Is this clear?
Yes, this is clear. In the first exercise, the AE of body being thought is what I was not clear on. The body being so intimate and the conditioned pattern of thinking the or a body is 'me', has been a little more difficult to get as opposed to the exercise with the apple. This is now clear. There is no entity as body. Thank you for staying with me, and making it clear. The exercises are very powerful.

Thank you,

Lee

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:37 am

Hey Lee,
What did you find?
The sensations of the hand did not change if eyes were opened or closed.
Exactly! When eyes are closed there is only sensation with a ‘mental’ image of a hand appearing. With eyes open there is colour which thought labels as ‘hand’ and thought says that the sensation is coming from the sight of the hand. If this was the case, then there would be no sensation felt when the eyes were closed!

Here’s an interesting video to watch about this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dphlhmt ... e=youtu.be

Okay...if you are clear about the body...let's have a look at the idea of time.

There is a general assumption that there is linear time that started (if started at all) somewhere very far in the past and advances to the distant future. The present moment (now) is considered to be a very small fragment of time, or an event that is moving forward on this linear time, coming from the past and advancing to the future.

But is there an experience that the ’now’ is moving along the line of time?
Any experience of one ‘moment’ giving way to the next?
Any actual experience of one event following another?

How fast is the ‘present moment’ actually moving?

Just look at 'this moment', can you find a point where it began?

How long does the ‘now’ last?

Where does the ‘now’ start, and where does it end?

When does the ‘now’ exactly become the 'past'?

What is the ‘past’ in actual experience?

So is there actual experience of ‘time’ or thoughts about ‘time’?

With love, Kay

Return to “THE GATE”